what is this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevie25

Car
mercedes e 280 cdi
please look at photos and see the small oil leak i have
what is this and is this hard to fix.....

Attachments

• new puppies 014.jpg
    new puppies 014.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 177
  • new puppies 013.jpg
    new puppies 013.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 175
Gasket sealant? Is it metallic or plasticly/rubbery to the touch?

If that is the full extent of the leak I would simply forget it. Many car engines "weep" a bit of oil after several thousand miles--its all that expanding and contracting metal. Unless you are experiencing so much oil loss that the car needs frequent topping up I would not worry.

1. Not sure what it is, but if this is simply a metal plug, then they could normally be removed by inserting a screw and pulling out, then hammering a new one in.

2. Or, taking on from grober, perhaps some RTV sealant around the circumference of the seal will help. But if so then make sure it is RTV and not just any silicon sealant- RTV will resist the temperatures and the oil, plus it remains soft and will expend and contract with the metal. Obviously clean well (with brake cleaner etc) before applying.

well it has not be tack welded and it would take a long time before i would need to top oil up as it is not enough to run down / it is a metal disc like used to be in some cars like a core plug
i think the rtv sealant might be a good idea if i can get some /// and it stops raining

Last edited:
It looks like a blanking plug over the hole used to line bore the camshaft bearings.

Personally I wouldn't bother fixing it, but if you feel you have to, I can recommend the "Pro-Seal Blue XS". It sealed the rocker box breather on the V8 a treat.
Ian.

thanks for all the help i will let you know if it works .

Surely it would not have left the factory with blobs of sealant visible like that, has someone tried to fix the leak before?

Russ

not sure but the blob is just on the joint not where the leak is
the car is almost 5 although it has full merc history with full print out and nothing is on it about any other work only service etc 52000 mls .
i have been told that because we were at minus 15 and below for 10 days in the winter this may have caused it and the 2 plugs stop the caseing cracking if it is too cold or over heats and its cheaper to replace these plugs than a new caseing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom