What is wrong with my flip-out key?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nasco12

Car
W202 C240 1999 Green; Previous: W202 C200
For many months it has worked just fine. Now, it will not unlock the car remotely. Or lock it. However, stick the key in the ignition and it works fine.

I have swapped the batteries with my other key (which is fully functional) and nothing changes. I know it is transmitting a signal because even though the signal is invisible to the naked eye it is not invisible to mobile phone cameras.

28762882352_3e5d08a152_n.jpg

By the way, if anyone can identify the other, smaller key I'd be grateful. It came with the car when I bought it.

Can you see a Blue/White light when you view fob through a camera?
The key may be for turning off the alarm system, the slot for the key may be on the alarm siren or somewhere in the cabin/glove box.

Dec

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

Did you try synchronising the remote?

Dec

keyfob.jpg

A-ha!

In my defence, I don't think my US manual covers this. And it took a couple of goes to work. But, hey, we got there.

Many thanks.

For many months it has worked just fine. Now, it will not unlock the car remotely. Or lock it. However, stick the key in the ignition and it works fine.

I have swapped the batteries with my other key (which is fully functional) and nothing changes. I know it is transmitting a signal because even though the signal is invisible to the naked eye it is not invisible to mobile phone cameras.

28762882352_3e5d08a152_n.jpg

By the way, if anyone can identify the other, smaller key I'd be grateful. It came with the car when I bought it.

Hi,
The smaller key is for turning the alarm siren off, on the back of the siren there is a black cap, prise this off and you will find a key switch.
This does not turn off the immobiliser.

This is located behind the wheel arch liner, yes?

Not that it matters. The alarm doesn't work. Olly tells me that alarms of this vintage all go eventually and they cost a fortune to repair.

No, not wheel arch area but engine bay, usually visible and up high on wing, if it hasn’t already been removed. It may already be turned off with that key.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom