What is ZHM and is there a cheap alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Highfiddleedee

Car
1991 300TD, 1989 300TE, 1988 190D 2.5 Auto, 1965 Land Rover Series 3 SWBVer
I called Mercedes in Belfast yesterday, and the chap on the phone was not too sure of his onions on this one. I know it is fairly expensive and hard to get, is there a viable alternative?

I have a self-leveling 190D with "black" fluid in the bottle. I take it the simplest/safest way to change the oil is to empty and refill this bottle a few times?

its dark green... ZHM is not that expensive considering most french cars also use it...

As for bleeding, not sure to be honest...

You can buy the hydraulic oil from other sources such as ECP or GSF. Basically it's a mineral hydraulic oil pretty much the same as Citroen LHM or standard hydraulic oil.
A local Hydraulics or oil supplier will be able to supply but it won't be labelled ZHM.

The best way to change it all is to disconnect the return pipe and run the engine. This will pump all the oil out, but don't continue to run once the reservoir is empty, if you really need to change it all fill the reservoir again and run again to flush the system out.

Last edited:
I called Mercedes in Belfast yesterday, and the chap on the phone was not too sure of his onions on this one. I know it is fairly expensive and hard to get, is there a viable alternative?

I have a self-leveling 190D with "black" fluid in the bottle. I take it the simplest/safest way to change the oil is to empty and refill this bottle a few times?

Is it not just normal JCB hydralic oil?

Tracked down a part ref for GSF. So, I called them and quoted M98001, and they have one 1 litre bottle for £4.50 plus VAT which I have reserved. Given its apparent scarcity, I'd really like to get one of these 5L bottles for £10- £20.

try Euro... We use a suppler in Coventry called Oscotts, but any large motor factors will keep it..

Thanks again jaymanek. I called them and its £3.50 + VAT per litre bottle, so I've booked 3 to allow me to do an oil change. So, not only is it the cheapest, but they know what it is when you ask for it, and they have it in stock. Think I've just found a new supplier!

Its hard to believe but it seems some of these fluids have been doing their job for 20 years!

well to be fair, i doubt the self levelling fluid on my SEC has ever been changed either... do let us know how you get on, you may have inspired me to do mine too..

Jay and Dieselman
Tried disconnecting the return pipe, topping up the reservoir with clean oil, and running the engine, but it didn't pump out. Me and the misses sat on the boot to give it something to do, but no joy. Tried covering the reservoir opening with my hand in case it only worked as a "sealed unit" but still no success. Any ideas?

Either just drain and refil the reservoir or with the car on ramps go underneath and operate the height correction valve to draw fluid then replenish back to the reservoir.

Last edited:
Sorry for the thread revival but I have just topped the fluid this morning on Natalies estate and the ZHM I have just bought at Merc (like a prat I did not look on the forum first for the equivalent so paid twice the price for it that I should have!:eek: )

Anyway my question is why would the fluid I just put in be a pale yellow-brown colour and not the dark green that Jay states earlier in the thread?

Citroen fluid (LHM) is bright green. Sometimes people (probably not someone like jay who knows about these things) put the wrong stuff in.

As above, ZHM is not green, it's a clear-golden colour.

If the fluid in the reservoir is black, the pump probably needs new seals.

One of my pet hates with the MB SLS system and Citroen suspension is that people wrongly assume that the systems are 'the same'. They are not, they use different fluid and I don't think any of the parts are compatible.

Will

As above, ZHM is not green, it's a clear-golden colour.

If the fluid in the reservoir is black, the pump probably needs new seals.

One of my pet hates with the MB SLS system and Citroen suspension is that people wrongly assume that the systems are 'the same'. They are not, they use different fluid and I don't think any of the parts are compatible.

Will

Thanks for that Will - system seems to be working fine (not rock hard and not bouncing); just needed 300ml or so to top it up. Liquid in it was changed last year so surprised it is using a bit (though not masses) of fluid. Where (prefereably with link to Russian site or photos) are the seals that might need replacing?

Matt

the easiest way to drain it is to disconnect one of the pipes at the back which link the spheres to the struts

2 tips...

1, make sure you have a bowl under the car as it comes out under a fair bit of pressure

2, do it when the car is cold - not only is it under pressure, it's also hot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom