What lies beyond the Universe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
54mwov8.gif
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9520/54mwov8.gif

Me.

Actually, that was a lie.

See? I told you!

PJ

Had a good smoke this evening Dave ? ;)

Your right - phone work tomorrow and tell them that there are more important things than coming in.

Thought provoking. Sadly, the best I can come up with though is...

...more space??

Lost..

mobeyone said:

Not the only one:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/universe_soccer_031008.html

So:

Universe is something like the surface of a football, with blocks of space stitched together to form a finite universe.

These blocks of space have opposite faces abstractly joined together, so an object sliding off an edge of one block will instantly appear at the edge of its opposing block.

The universe is a dodecahedron but because these opposite faces are somehow connected up in pairs, a space ship trying to exit the dodecahedron through any face would immediately return from the opposite face!

But what do these deep thinkers believe is outside of this mind boggle mind boggle quick give me another beer universe then??:

"The universe is finite but there's no boundary to it, implying that there is no beyond, or that if there is, then its nature is left to your imagination and is outside the closed system that astronomers can ever hope to see"

Which sounds pretty much like "Absolutely no idea at all" to me!.

A place where fuel costs as much as a car per litre. Oh wait ... that's just the future.

What lies beyond the Universe. A politician in a space rocket.

Hello. <<< a reference to Seinfeld

this makes my head hurt just thinking about it, but to be very honest I do not worry much beyond where my next box of smokes coming from and to I have to go out of them or can I ask wife to pick some up on the way home.

Satch said:
Not the only one:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/universe_soccer_031008.html

So:

Universe is something like the surface of a football, with blocks of space stitched together to form a finite universe.

These blocks of space have opposite faces abstractly joined together, so an object sliding off an edge of one block will instantly appear at the edge of its opposing block.

The universe is a dodecahedron but because these opposite faces are somehow connected up in pairs, a space ship trying to exit the dodecahedron through any face would immediately return from the opposite face!

But what do these deep thinkers believe is outside of this mind boggle mind boggle quick give me another beer universe then??:

"The universe is finite but there's no boundary to it, implying that there is no beyond, or that if there is, then its nature is left to your imagination and is outside the closed system that astronomers can ever hope to see"

Which sounds pretty much like "Absolutely no idea at all" to me!.

The point at which the universe extends beyond is where you cease to take an active interest in it. It is the point of no interest ! Thus by my definition what lies beyond the Universe;

a) what people do in their spare time
b) the destination of infra-red packets that never end up hitting the sensor in the tv
c) Michael Jackson
d) Paris Hilton and other strong vacuums
e) keystrokes on PC's which are inbetween active windows and result in unrecorded characters
f) enough real estate to keep Donald Trump, Richard Branson and Century 21 happy.
g) Andy Warhols one realistic painting
h) A woman that really does look like a Picasso painting
i) A chinese made product that is actually better than a german made product
j) THe other episodes of Star Wars (6 onwards)
k) Jimmy Hoffa
l) A kitchen appliance which only does one thing, does it slowly, inefficiently and is hard to clean - which is really all appliances ever made but it becomes known as the other universal constant.
m) SimEarth

Satch said:
HTF does that work? :confused:

Sounds like someone's been at the Moroccan woodbines :rock:

miro said:
The point at which the universe extends beyond is where you cease to take an active interest in it. It is the point of no interest ! Thus by my definition what lies beyond the Universe;

Ahh, but doesn't the fact that you've listed them now mean you do have an interest in them, and therefore your universe just extended? ;) :D

Entropy.....as to define the universe it must have a (finite) degree of order. As order decreases so entropy increases thus

no order = no universe = (maximum) entropy.

QED

I'm NOT a physicist (and its a long, long time since I did 'O' level anything) but for a simple (the kind I like) explanation click here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/therm/entrop.html

Cheers,

What lies beyond the Universe?

Who knows there are to many questions to answer that we may never know, is there an edge?, is there a centre, does it expand?.

Either way we will pay a tax on it!

SEM the Skeptic:crazy:

Bobby Dazzler said:
Ahh, but doesn't the fact that you've listed them now mean you do have an interest in them, and therefore your universe just extended? ;) :D

You should go back and read the first item on the list.

Dieter said:
Entropy.....as to define the universe it must have a (finite) degree of order. As order decreases so entropy increases thus

no order = no universe = (maximum) entropy.

QED

I'm NOT a physicist (and its a long, long time since I did 'O' level anything) but for a simple (the kind I like) explanation click here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/therm/entrop.html

Cheers,

Suppose as there's nothing there (?) then it can't be disordered...... ( :crazy: )

Erm no I got that the wrong way round...

I certainly believe in the ever-accelerating univ - where expansion continues so much that matter itself is eventually pulled apart.

Thus eventually you have 'nothing' in between the quarks.

Then that could be defined as the space (erm) into which a new universe could start. But how it would be initiated is a whole new fish of kettles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom