What made you look to Mercedes? What car or situation..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mow221

Car
W221,W212,w211,W209,s211
image.jpeg Just out of curiosity what made you or gave you the taste for a Mercedes? I've had lots of different cars through the years, a lot of the time quite the obsession... My work ties me to a Swedish brand which I have had many, and my youthful interests stemmed from motorcycles which let me to American classics, to Japanese etc etc...

But a few things started to catch my eye with the Mercedes cars and I was getting more intrigued...

Lots of models new and old started to appeal more and more to me, but this one picture kept coming back to me, I loved how it sat, and it has great presence and as such quite a tmeless design... Imo.
Although my taste has kind of matured and changed slightly, this still has a great look and still makes me happy to look at... Also it's darker more sinister brother does it for me too....image.jpeg Screenshot_20200326-150902.png

Grew up with them as the family cars since 1964 .

Had a bad crash in my dad's W115 in 1978 , when a drunk driver idiot in a stolen car with no licence or insurance , overtook an Artic road a blind bend , towards me , on an A road and hit me head on : his ford Crapi folded up like a pack of cards and flipped over above my car , clearing the hedge behind me and ending up banana shaped ; my dad's Mercedes , despite being crumpled in almost to the windscreen , continued to run ; I had to turn off the engine ; I was still able to open the door and step out , unhurt apart from a small piece of glass from the toughened windscreen which got into my eye - bothers me to this day .

Chummy , in his father in law's supposedly stolen car had three broken limbs , several broken ribs , was cut our of the car by the fire brigade - we tried to rescue him but the door skin came away leaving the rest of the door well stuck ; then he did a bunk from the hospital before anyone could deal with him .

Well done William C*****y from Grangemouth .

Every cloud ..... I replaced my dad's 220/8 with a 280E :-D

Have stuck with Mercedes for the 42 years since : safest cars on the road .

I used my car to visit clients, and although a director, (and without going into details) I’d always bought my own car, usually ex-lease jobbies.

But it was pointed out to me that in my business (personal finance) I should have a 'better' car, so I moved to leasing a new MB......

Just always fancied a Mercedes, just think there a cut above owt else.
20191005_194156.jpg

I always admired them and the air of engineering excellence they exuded. You could keep Lambos and Ferraris when I was a teenager, a 300 6.3 SEL was my dream. I loved the shape of the 211 so treated myself to one. Still love it.

In 2012 a family friend in UK died leaving a 2008 w211 E320 Avantgarde with 24k on the clock, was offered it for the same price (£10k ) as MB dealer offered to buy it in at. Bought it sight unseen having never driven a Mercedes but alway liked them when travelling as a passenger . Since then had two ML's, an A210 and finally my SLK55 which I love

In 2012 a family friend in UK died leaving a 2008 w211 E320 Avantgarde with 24k on the clock, was offered it for the same price (£10k ) as MB dealer offered to buy it in at. Bought it sight unseen having never driven a Mercedes but alway liked them when travelling as a passenger . Since then had two ML's, an A210 and finally my SLK55 which I love
An SLK55 is on the list as a weekend toy, love them.

Grew up with them as the family cars since 1964 .

Ditto my parents had Mercs and Volvos in the 60s. MBs were very posh and Volvos were the safest cars you could buy. Once I started driving (1970), I was often the chauffeur at friend's weddings because my dad had a MB that we used.

Ditto my parents had Mercs and Volvos in the 60s. MBs were very posh and Volvos were the safest cars you could buy. Once I started driving (1970), I was often the chauffeur at friend's weddings because my dad had a MB that we used.
I was the house/flat/band/gig mover pal as my old man's company had a few clean empty Renault Master high roof long wheelbase vans. Was asked to help out a few damsels in destress, they often worked out quite well for me.

When passed my driving test a 2.5 V6 Mercedes was cheaper to buy and insure than a small hatchback :dk:

It was a no brainer really, I had a big comfy Mercedes my mates had a fiat:)

1992 age 22 i had just sold my first house in a time when prices were in ascendence and i felt like a dog in a lamp post factory, i bought an Ex metro 3 bed semi as my next project and a Blue Black 190e with the same wheels as the one at the beginning of Die hard 1, being young and not a car guy i got cloth and manual, paid for that a couple of years later at resale. I loved that car at that time of my life and relative to the motors my mates were running, 22 years old and a 3 year old black merc, whats not to like.Wandered around various other brands before a return to a S210 as a family wagon, then more recently a W124 e300d saloon

As a child i started to get into "cars" in the `70s when MB was the prestigious brand to own and to aspire to, even if they were out of financial reach to most.

After a run of Fords / Vauxhalls / Jap stuff / Saabs i found myself in a position to finally purchase a Merc and after seeing a CLS on Top Gear it would be my vehicle of choice and it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment if i am honest.

However, even after a troubled relationship i still find myself being drawn to the brand . Exterior, looks wise i think they have lost their way a bit as some models just blend into the background along with similar BM`s + Audi`s but interior wise they still impress me.

Not ruling out another in the future but it would need to be a "special" one, either an E53 coupe or an S coupe according to my interweb search history.

K

I was looking for something more practical than my Chimaera 450 and a friend had a CLK63 Black at the time. I really liked it but it was out of my price range so asked for his help looking for something along the same lines. Soon after a lovely C63AMG Edition 507 Coupe came up at a good price and it was test driven and purchased. I really like the performance and handling of the car (it has the optional sports suspension) but also the practicality of 4 seats, a large boot and silly things like the shopping bag hooks in the boot, something a car with over 500bhp really shouldn't have :thumb:Hans2.jpg

Back in 80’s my uncle had bought a brand new white 2.0 W123 and when I saw it, for me it was the most beautiful thing in the world. I was maybe 8-9 at the time. Remember the first drive in it like it was yesterday. It was like sitting on a magic carpet and ever since the MB was something special to me.

I went out to buy a new, manual Porsche Boxter in 1999 coz I was feeling flush. I'd had a old 911 some years previously and always said I'd get another Porsche (in fairness, I'm still saying that ...).

I didn't fit in the Boxster so I called by the Merc garage on the way home just to look at what they had. The sales guys gave me the keys to a SLK demo and told me to drop it back the following day and let me know what I thought.

I'd not had an auto at this point but drove straight out into rush hour traffic and immediately the reason for an auto became clear.

Went back and ordered one the next day. First of 14 Mercs, we've had over the past 21 years.

Picked it up and a couple of days later took it on a big road tour of France and Spain.

49697560618_d7c7fa8397_b.jpg

When I was really young I had a set of Micro Machines, one was the 500SL with the Gullwing doors and the other was a 500 SEC.

Teenage years I used to walk past the local MB dealership on the way to school, I was amazed at a car called the S500 could be a Coupe, but was the size of an estate car.

FF to 2003, my brother was selling his W202 C180, I had a Mondeo at the time and managed to buy it off him, the car was 6 years old and I was 23... not bad at that age! (no finance/lease deals)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom