What made you look to Mercedes? What car or situation..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And I still dismiss 500+bhp AMG models as jewellery, being neither usable for the South East of England, nor for 500 mile a day European touring.

full

Im in agreement with you Mike on the first point, but what's your reason for the 500+ EU jaunt unsuitability?

I forgot to add another cultural experience... my ethnicity is Cypriot and Mercedes is a car for Cypriots. Taxis and family vehicles, they know quality and durability; a few years ago we visited Cyprus and a relative (an aircraft engineer by profession) loaned us his 190E in polar white; it was a petrol, 2.0 I think. It had always struck me as an unimpressive vehicle; I was amazed of how much this baby Merc felt anything but! It was spacious on the inside, with a lovely blue cloth interior. On the road it felt stable and had presence.

Im in agreement with you Mike on the first point, but what's your reason for the 500+ EU jaunt unsuitability?

Mpg and suspension. Even though 0-100 out of a toll booth is fun,

for eight hours "in the saddle," AMG suspension and seating "doesn't cut it," even on perfect Autobahn.

(See how few AMG's / M series / Ferraris are used to clock up intercontinental miles)

for eight hours "in the saddle," AMG suspension and seating "doesn't cut it," even on perfect Autobahn.

(See how few AMG's / M series / Ferraris are used to clock up intercontinental miles)

Doesn't the S211 E55 share the same airmatic suspension as the S211 E500? Or are there altered suspension components that compromise the cruise comfort?

Dunno, is the honest answer, but I suspect that sportier suspension and dinner plate wheels will compromise it.

But, no, I haven’t done 500 miles in one day in an E63 so I can’t comment from experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At heart, I’d rather be in a W221 for the long haul, but in an S211 or S212 around town

Dunno, is the honest answer, but I suspect that sportier suspension and dinner plate wheels will compromise it.

But, no, I haven’t done 500 miles in one day in an E63 so I can’t comment from experience

I’ve done 1,000 miles in <30 hours plenty of times, four up with luggage for 2-3 weeks, and never had a problem with cruising ability, comfort or fuel efficiency.

AMGs are great for big distances in little time in my experience.

The E63 (212) is a brilliant cruiser. We did countless big big journeys in ours and it was silent at a ton plus, 40k in 2 years. The seats were absolutely amazing.

I wanted a faster estate to replace my SAAB 9-5 Aero (Noobtuned, 280 bhp) and spotted a Tanzanite S210 E55 on eBay. This was my second post:

New bug with first m-b

About eighteen months later I was in my first S211; it was love at first sit (not a typo). Plenty of water, Mercedes, and money, have passed under the bridge since then, and I'm now on my thirteenth and fourteenth - and eighth S211. I think I quite like Mercedes...

They aren't the best cars in the world, nor the most reliable, but a W211 is still a very nice place to be.

I forgot to add another cultural experience... my ethnicity is Cypriot and Mercedes is a car for Cypriots. Taxis and family vehicles, they know quality and durability; a few years ago we visited Cyprus and a relative (an aircraft engineer by profession) loaned us his 190E in polar white; it was a petrol, 2.0 I think. It had always struck me as an unimpressive vehicle; I was amazed of how much this baby Merc felt anything but! It was spacious on the inside, with a lovely blue cloth interior. On the road it felt stable and had presence.

My GF is stuck in Nicosia just now , went out to settle her fathers affairs , which dragged on , now staying in his house as too scared to risk flying back - don’t blame her .

I’ve done 1,000 miles in <30 hours plenty of times, four up with luggage for 2-3 weeks, and never had a problem with cruising ability, comfort or fuel efficiency.

AMGs are great for big distances in little time in my experience.

Ive done that in my 190E no bother .

Drove to Geneva & back in a week in my W116 many years ago - great fun - 2 days out , day there , 2 days back .

I wanted an easy to work on V12 GT which would have a more comfortable ride than my 6 series and that could be my daily driver.

Between a CL600, a DB9 or a Continental, the CL600 was the most pragmatic choice.

I always fancied a Jaguar Series III V12.

But then I would open the bonnet.

4815238151_631faaa23f_b.jpg

I think you'd be surprised at the comfort level on a e55k Mike, Certainly just as comfortable as my e320 cdi s211 was, and i did 660miles across Europe in 9hrs 27mins. Got out still feeling quite fresh.

The ride on a w211 E55 was pure magic. It's the one of the best ride comfort cars on the road. Even today.

The E63 212 I have had on a few long long road trips. And the car was amazing its by far the most comfortable cars i have ever had the pleasure of driving and owning on a longer trip. The seats are amazing especially with the massaging seats.

I didn't want to get out at our destination I wanted to have 40 winks :)

I did have the old E55 W220 as a company car back in 2000.

Hated it as a town car, as its suspension was hard on London streets, and it always felt as if it had to be driven on tip toes in town. (I was a 5 day a week city commuter back then).

Hated it so much so that I moved it on within the year.

Part of that was its 20 inch dinner plates.

But it's a fair challenge to say that I should take a test drive in an E55k or E63 some time.

But it will still be 50% more expensive to buy and a good chunk more in fuel, for speed that i won't use.

Last edited:
Many cars can be transformed on a ride quality front with smaller size wheels and a bigger tyre wall.

I had an X5 moons ago and it was hard as nails.

The AMG would be more cost regarding fuel and servicing but then it is an AMG. The both models I have had the pleasure of owing have been a pure delight to run on a ride quality front. The E63 I currently run, I will change out the RT tyres when we eventually/ hopefully get out of this sad conditioned environment we are experiencing. This will add ride comfort that bit more. On a fantastic set up chassis car as stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom