What made you look to Mercedes? What car or situation..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our E320 CDI S211 is a great ride also. Love riding in that tank. Ours is an Advantgarde, was always curious how the Elegance comfort matched up to the Advantgarde.

Forgetting what it's like to drive as we all are, I imagine :(

I did have the old E55 W220 as a company car back in 2000.

Hated it as a town car, as its suspension was hard on London streets, and it always felt as if it had to be driven on tip toes in town. (I was a 5 day a week city commuter back then).

Hated it so much so that I moved it on within the year.

Part of that was its 20 inch dinner plates.

But it's a fair challenge to say that I should take a test drive in an E55k or E63 some time.

But it will still be 50% more expensive to buy and a good chunk more in fuel, for speed that i won't use.

We’re they aftermarket wheels? I would have expected an E55 AMG to be on 18-inch wheels from the factory.

Does an AMG “63” V8 really use much more fuel than a Mercedes “500” V8? The same model requires the same amount of power to maintain the same cruising speed whether it has a 63 or 500 engine. and neither would be struggling for torque/power so I would expect a similar result.

Last edited:
I doing about 30k miles year mainly on a round trip 98mile each way to Cambridge and I fancied auto to replace my Honda Accord which had done over 100k. So my first Merc E320 S211 that I drove to 110k and replaced with a E350 S212 that went to 80K (and is now on less according to its MOT history). MrsG wanted a folding 2 door convertible and thought the SL too big so we have her SLC300 which is going to be difficult to replace!

Does an AMG “63” V8 really use much more fuel than a Mercedes “500” V8? The same model requires the same amount of power to maintain the same cruising speed whether it has a 63 or 500 engine. and neither would be struggling for torque/power so I would expect a similar result.

Dunno. I can only offer that I've got 29mpg out of my 5.5 over the last 2,200 miles, according to the dashboard. That's suburban Surrey mileage - I did France in my BM. From memory, I think I used to get 26mpg from my 2004 E500 Estate.

Last edited:
We’re they aftermarket wheels? I would have expected an E55 AMG to be on 18-inch wheels from the factory.

Definitely would have been original AMG wheels. I bought it at two years old on 20k miles from a local Surgeon. Typical "Money no issue, Main dealer" kind of guy.

They were "original mono block style." Thinking about it, they may well have been 18's, rather than 20's. But whatever they were, the bloody thing thumped over every London pothole

Twenty years ago, I accepted it as it was. These days, with the light of experience, I would have immediately swopped them for something smaller.

s-l1600.jpg

I did have the old E55 W220 as a company car back in 2000.

Hated it as a town car, as its suspension was hard on London streets, and it always felt as if it had to be driven on tip toes in town. (I was a 5 day a week city commuter back then).

Hated it so much so that I moved it on within the year.

Part of that was its 20 inch dinner plates.

But it's a fair challenge to say that I should take a test drive in an E55k or E63 some time.

But it will still be 50% more expensive to buy and a good chunk more in fuel, for speed that i won't use.

You are comparing apples to oranges with a W210 E55 without air suspension and the W211 which has.
As stated by others, a W211 E55 is very comfortable, even in sport2 setting.
You really should try both the W211 E55 and a W212 E63 to see if you still have the same opinion of more recent AMG's, not one from 2000.

As for price comparisons, I find it hard to believe a comparable year and mileage E63 would cost 50% more than a 4.7 twin turbo E500.
Fuel consumption isn't that much different either. As for speed, I haven't been in an E500, but its not all about top speed anyway. Its about acceleration for me and the E63 has it in spades.
But, probably contadicting myself, in your position living in Wimbledon, I'd find it hard to justify owning an AMG for the extra performance.

You are comparing apples to oranges with a W210 E55 without air suspension and the W211 which has.
As stated by others, a W211 E55 is very comfortable, even in sport2 setting.
You really should try both the W211 E55 and a W212 E63 to see if you still have the same opinion of more recent AMG's, not one from 2000.
As for price comparisons, I find it hard to believe a comparable year and mileage E63 would cost 50% more than a 4.7 twin turbo E500.
Fuel consumption isn't that much different either. As for speed, I haven't been in an E500, but its not all about top speed anyway. Its about acceleration for me and the E63 has it in spades.
But, probably contadicting myself, in your position living in Wimbledon, I'd find it hard to justify owning an AMG for the extra performance.

All very good points, and agreed. But having just bought this well specified one owner 2007 E500 saloon on less than 40k miles, the only thing that would make me swop is a nice one owner Estate.

So point taken, I will now keep a casual eye open for AMG's as well as the impossible to find E500's

If an SL500 doesn't distract me first. If we're ever allowed to leave home to buy cars again.

In the late 90s, I had a couple of business trips and asked for automatics. Europcar to their credit gave me W202s for the first two trips and a W210 for the third - and I was hooked. up till then we had had various manual Passats and my wife took a bit of convincing that auto was the way to go.

However, in 2004 we bought a C200 Kompressor and its been Mercs since. In 2014, driving a W204 C-Class, we had a head-on accident when a young tearaway on a stolen car clipped an oncoming car and crossed over the carriageway into our path. It hit us side on, rolled over our roof and landed on a crash barrier, every bit of glass broken and every panel damaged. Although my insurance wrote the car off, it later went back on the road illegally.

Although we all walked away from the accident, including the other driver and passenger, my wife suffered severe bruising to her chest/lungs which activated a pre-existing condition from which she never fully recovered. Like others on here, I think we came out of our accident better than had we been in many other cars and that is one of the reasons I am still in a C-Class, except that I'm not convinced that the W205 would stand up to the same accident as well as the W204 did!

Ernie

All very good points, and agreed. But having just bought this well specified one owner 2007 E500 saloon on less than 40k miles, the only thing that would make me swop is a nice one owner Estate.

So point taken, I will now keep a casual eye open for AMG's as well as the impossible to find E500's

If an SL500 doesn't distract me first. If we're ever allowed to leave home to buy cars again.

My 211 E55K has a great ride and very comfortable, even on long trips such as to AMG factory in Affalterbach, whether on stock 18" or my 19" BBS wheels. That said it isn't quite as good as my previous car which was a Jag S-Type-R. To be fair though I have always thought Jags have the best ride comfort.

On the original question as what made me look to Mercedes...... Well, I wanted a rapid estate car! I needed more space in the back and my Jag S-Type-R's boot although decent wasn't big enough and flexible enough for my needs. Originally the E55K wasn't at the top of my list as I thought I wanted a C5 RS6 Avant. I went and viewed a few and although I liked them, I was just a bit underwhelmed as I expected a good step up from my Jag and they just didn't give it. The Jag S-Type-R, is a very under rated car and if they'd done an estate version, I'd also have been considering getting one. I dismissed M5 estates as most at the time were driven by tw*ts. I then went to see an E55K, luckily on the same day I also went to see an RS6. As it turned out the E55 was a pretty poor example, but even so after a quick drive in it, the RS6 was no longer part of the equation. Then began the search for a top 55K wagon, which I have never regretted.

It doesn't make me totally pro MB, and I have to say none of the models since really float my boat (except my new Vito Sport:D).

Its amazing the difference, people using E55k, E63 etc as dailys, its easy to see the running costs vary from country to country... and how they are viable means...
We are unfortunate (those who love automobiles and such) that in our unbalanced country the powers that be find it acceptable to shaft those who wish to drive higher quality machinery, well certainly in the past anyway! the system has changed somewhat over the last 10 years but for those who like slightly earlier vehicles we can pay alot of annual fees, ie insurance and road tax costs would be roughly as follows, example 2005 E55k insurance E1000+ per year, and road tax E1850+ per year.... before any other costing are allowed for, which in realistic terms is another nice car every year!
So what has happened here is that cars post 2008+ have road tax calculated by emissions levels, which messed up some other things, like a 1.8l car which was costing 636eur is now costing 1200eur post 2008... messed up! on the other hand it has brought the price down on pre 08 cars to reasonable levels if you willing to pay the tax, and shoved up the price of the post 08 cars (diesel and low emmision) to over priced levels... and some of the later cars are not as well finished in some cases... but thats another debate...
So be happy that your running costs for the nicer end of the spectrum are as good, as if i were in that situation id be in motor vehicular heaven....swimming in seas of luxury and horse power!!!;):cool:o_O

^ Sounds like you are living in Ireland ?
Those are savage running costs for an E55 and I'm afraid I couldn't warrant owning one of those in your position.
I’ve seen similar figures mentioned for various EU countries too, e.g. Belgium and NL. I too would be ‘out’ if our costs got to this level; the £570 maximum RFL seems relatively cheap next to this.

^ Is it £570 now?
I paid £550 in Sept last year when I bought the car.

^ Is it £570 now?
I paid £550 in Sept last year when I bought the car.

Bargain! It’s now £555 for group L and £570 for group M, which starts at emissions of 256g/km. I’m not sure when the increase kicks in each year.

Working in Algeria in the mid 1970's. Driving flat out in a crappy Polski Fiat trying to get back to Algiers on a Friday night to go to the British Council disco (Girls, alcohol!) Then lights behind catching our car quickly and as we drove through a deserted mountain pass a Mercedes saloon cooly overtook us and disappeared into the distance.
One day I will have one of those I said. First one in 1984 (190E) and 20 cars later(All Mercedes) the love affair continues.

I was changing jobs and know I’d be pounding the mways so wen looking for an auto diesel ... which meant choosing a German marque back in 2007 ... I don’t like the 3 series and didn’t need a 5, and I’m not a fan of the Audi range so I found and bought an ex demo C220 AMG line saloon in Tenorite grey, with leather, command and roof ...

3 years and close to 150k miles I swapped to another ex demo, but this time a C350CDI AMG line estate ... again full spec finished in Palladium ... at 60k I paid a very rewarding visit to the boys at GAD and enjoyed many a surprised C63 drivers gaze as the torque was off the chart ...

I stayed with the 350 for my next, this time a black on black sport ... I didn’t like the Fuax suede trim but found myself, with a little training, enjoying the challenge of keeping this car looking a deep clean black at all times!

In parallel to the above I was fortunate enough to treat myself to a weekend Mercedes ... a much loved 107 300SL in a rare dark grey with light grey leather + rear seats making it the perfect weekend roof down transport for wifey and our girls!

Today Ive managed to achieve a long time target of owning and running a true AMG. Last September I traded the 350 Sport and now own the C43 AMG estate which is an absolute joy to drive! I suspect this one to be a long term ownership .... :)

Our E320 CDI S211 is a great ride also. Love riding in that tank. Ours is an Advantgarde, was always curious how the Elegance comfort matched up to the Avangarde

My latest E500 is an Elegance. I don't think the ride quality is significantly harsher than the Avantgardes, but it feels a little too floaty and less-than-planted for my taste.

That may be down to the 17" 'Yilduz' wheels, which I don't care for anyway, so a set of 18" wheels in a more open, less fussy, style are on my shopping list. If the suspensions are the same, as somebody has opined they are from the part numbers, that may sort it. I had 18" AMG IIIs on my other silver E500, and I thought they suited it very well.

When I decided it was time to get rid of the AC cobra rep I started looking for its replacement. The brief was V8, two seater and reasonable compromise between power and cruiser. I narrowed it down to jaguar xk, 6 series and Mercedes SL. I thought the jag was too cramped inside, and didn't like the bmw interior so decided on the SL. At the time I couldn't justify the price of a R231 so found a lovely R230 SL500 in teal. I paid top price for it and suffered even I sold out two years later losing almost 50% of the purchase price but I'm now the owner of a low mileage R231 SL500, in black and coming up to its first anniversary with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom