What makes a good merc ad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercconvert

Car
CLK55 AMG,Holden Ute, a broken Legacy Twin Turbo & a chevy blazer
I just wanted to get people's opinions really on what they like to see in the ad when they re looking for a car ? I know personally mileage doesn't phase me but most people like it low -
Some people are put off if the car has had lots of owners - what do you like to see in an ad when your looking for a car or more specifically a Merc ?

Thanks

But sometimes verifying that, as a buyer, isn't easy !

Lots of photos.
Taken in a nice location otherwise I don't bother. (silly I know but the way I am).
And not with loads of personal tat left in the cabin.

All the info I need regarding history, what has been done, all issues.

I don't want to know the sellers life history.

More importantly I want someone to reply to my emails with answers to questions, if I get 'Call me to discuss.' I will move on, I haven't got time to listen to someone babble on about how wonderful it has been for them, how they have had some great weekends away in the car etc.

Just think of everything you would want to know as a buyer and put it in the advert.

Thanks gIzE I think I look for similar - good photos including boot and engine are also useful - it's amazing how many dealers ignore your emails and don't return your calls ! Manners seem to go along way - but I also know having been both a buyer and a seller numerous times that a phone call with a tyre kicker is just irritating and a waste of time !

I wrote a little article for a company I used to work for with regards to warnings to those buying second hand cars. It is here: Dont buy

It perhaps is not a lot of use for you.

Anyway:

Be reasonable with regards the price. If you are asking top dollar, explain why. Many people are willing to pay a decent price but only if the car is worth it. Check on ebay or Auto Trader for prices asked in private sales, because any potential buyer will.

I like simple statements in an advert. If there are any blemishes, then admit it, preferably with photos. I turned up at half a dozen 'excellent condition' cars only to find rust spots, tears in the driver's seat (they all go there, he said). There was no way I'd buy them as the thought that went through my mind was that what else has he hidden.

Highlight the good points. Don't put No Offers. If it reads the same if you delete an adjective or adverb, then delete it.

Clean it thoroughly: if they can't be bothered to look after it for a sale then why do it for themselves.

Give someone who says they are coming around a window. So if the appointment is for 6pm, tell them you've got to go out at 7.

Best of luck.

Brilliant points Derek especially about cleaning the car - I've viewed a few where the owner couldn't even be bothered to empty it let alone clean it !

Thanks for that.

I was looking for a TVR some years ago and drove from Brighton to Milton Keynes (I think) to look at "one of the best around".

So I was a bit surprised to find the hood needed replacement:

When I pointed out that the seat appeared to have signs of wear, the chap said: 'They all go there.'

Had he been honest and also taken the cost of repairs into consideration in the asking price I might have gone for it. I don't mind getting my hands dirty. But if you can't trust the vendor, who would continue?

Very true - I've made the mistake of trusting the vendor before and it cost me big time - never again ! Your right about the wear that's terrible to describe the car as so A1 only to travel all that way and find its most definitely not - I have always been honest with people when they ve called and asked if there are any imperfections - at least then if they still want to view they know what to expect

I prefer cars that have not been modified in any way since it left the factory.

Don't rely on seller photos, as I have wasted time travelling to look at cars with ripped leather seats. This was never shown in the pics.

I took loads of pictures of mine deliberately including all the bad bits (scuff, minor rust patch, stone chips on paint and windscreen) with full description in the ad, as I'm far too conscientious to lie about condition.

That way, there's nothing to try to excuse when a potential buyer shows up. This sold to a forum member's relative, and when my five-year-old decided to highlight the bonnet stone chips during the viewing :eek: there was no problem as they were photographed and described in the ads, and thus known about already.

Helps if your car doesn't have any non-trivial problems, of course.

Good idea - at least if you are honest from the outset someone can view your add and decided if it's still worth a view I love the way kids do that ! I remember doing the same to my
Mum as a child when she was trying to get something refunded

I can't see anything in that link just an iCloud home page it seems ?

Hmm? Not sure how to show it then.

I'll take a look on the laptop then see if that helps - thanks

"New E Class - but with all the corrosion you have come to expect from Mercedes"

"I used to think everyone ignored me - until i discovered Mercedes salesmen"

"Come on down to the Service Department - The Price Is High!"

"Upgraded audio system - now drowns out the rattles and squeaks"

"Waiting list for this model now specially extended"

Basics.
Minimum large images:
Front
Rear
Left Side
Right Side
Rear Quarter facing forward, both sides.
Front Quarter, facing backwards, both sides.
Under bonnet.
Boot interior.
Underneath facing front and rear.
Steering wheel and indicator stalks.
Pedals.
Drivers carpet.
Both front seats, especially drivers bolster.
Wheels x 4, ditto tyres.
ALL damage, however trivial. What’s the point of wasting your time, let alone someone else’s. Poor chrome, rubbers, chips, rust, leaks, wear, cracks, etc. There should never be a surprise when the potential buyer arrives to view, or worse, when the buyer collects.
Aside from as many as possible on the sales site, put extra images on a photo bucket link or similar, the larger and clearer the better.
Detail every single thing that you know about the car and why you are selling. Remove as much mystery and as many questions as you possibly can. People appreciate candour, they want transparency; as mentioned before, it’s the potential buyers and sellers time that’s being wasted with anything less. Brevity has no place in selling, people want the whole picture, warts - especially - and all.
Take the best, (hugest), images possible, no rainy/grainy or blurred night-time stuff from a Petrol Station forecourt. It’s not as if we have to get things developed and scanned and we’re limited to 12 or 24 snaps!
Maybe a link, (not paste), to a model specific page or two.
I’m sure I’ve missed things, but the less a vendor does, the less chance they have of selling and so exists the more chance of disappointing someone (else).
Cheers,
Paul

I had been to a car show looking AC Cobras after asking questions sitting in them and decided going to go for one
When i found one after a good chat on the phone I drove all the way to from Methyr Tydfil to Cornwell Penzance once, was going to buy a AC cobra cash in hand.
It hit all the right buttons, right colour, interior, engine size etc. When i got there i had a good look around car and he started the car from cold which i wanted and engine sound aarrrrhhh wow great prefect say to myself i am going to have this.
It was alot of money to pay for a kit car but there was question i not ask on the phone before which did not think of, the Cobra's i sat in in the car show where set you for 6"2 this one did not i was gutted i did not fit lol you live and learn :dk:
So that is why i got my 300sl i'm happy with :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom