What Merc engine in Chrysler 300C?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
I was drawn into my local dealership to look over a black 300C running a 3litre diesel and was told by the stealer that it was the latest generation Merc diesel.

Can anyone confirm this?

.....and yes, I am being temted ............. especially at £25k v £40k for a replacement E.

believe its the latest generation of the W211 'E' class engine

jay73 said:

indeed but the chassis is derived from the W210.

Yes, the 3.0 litre V6 diesel is a MB engine. The same engine appears across the MB range as the 280 CDi and the 320 CDi.

jay73 said:

Still a fantastic looking car none the less.

Sure you don't want a Hemi :D. The V8's look fantastic, then a couple of weeks ago saw an article on the 300C SRT, this is the tuned version, supposedly Chyrslers answer to AMG & BMW M.

Surprise surprise not dynamically as good but cracking value. In the US the 300C SRT lists at $48k :eek: but list in the UK is circa £42k

Can't wait for a few years to watch these things at the £15k mark :bannana:

I drove the Hemi yesterday :D . It sounded lovely on the forecourt but to be honest, from the inside, whilst quite quick it wasn't the blood and thunder you might (as I was) expecting. I had Dodge charger in mind !!!

The diesel will do just fine and all being well my order will be in by the end of the week. Still wrestling with the fact that whilst the car is £25,775, they want £2,600 for the satnav and sunroof (i.e. 10%). and I only want the sunroof - I am perfectly happy with my Tom Tom :confused:

decisons decisions ........

Watch ther classifieds for a lovely Silver E class E270 cdi 2002 Auto, 1 owner FSH 53,000 miles Panoramic roof, full leather, wood wheel, 17" wheels and sports suspension (oh yes, its silver... :eek: ) about £16,995.

Smillion :D

Attachments

• 300c marc.jpg
    300c marc.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Here beginneth the first lesson in badge engineering. First the engine and gearbox and then on and on from there. Till Mercedes begins to mean less and less. Like Austin/Morris as BMC who gradually wrecked luxury brand after luxury brand -Wolseley, Riley, MG and finally Rover. Once we all learn that the Chysler has the Merc engine, gradually, gradually, it becomes why buy the Merc. Drive a 320 cdi S class or E class and the engine is sheer joy but what will be special about it when we all know it is in cheaper mass market cars.

The pimple heads who now run Mercedes are already wrecking everyone's residuals by turning Mercedes into a discount motor car. Before the E class face-lift arrived in July my dealer was giving £4400 off the saloons. Now while awaiting the new CL, dealers are offering up to £15k off the present model. Think what that does for the price of one year old CL's, and then two year old ones and on down the line. Toyota and Lexus make just a few cars less than the market wants and avoid major discounting. Mercedes now keep making a lot too many and end up having to nearly give them away. When I bought my first Merc if a dealer gave a discount he lost his dealership. Dear to buy but what residuals.

In April I bought a December 23rd registered 220 series S class, listed at £56k new, for £39k (just 30% off new price or £17,000 depreciation in the first 4 months). Great for me. Hell if you buy new. Fords have ruined their markets by discounting and getting known for lousy residuals. They even wrecked Jag residuals by selling cheaply to fleets in the US. Now Ford sell less Mondeos per year than BMW sell of the 3 series! So do we now have to watch Mercedes doing all that went wrong at BMC/Leyland/Rover; plus all that has gone wrong at Ford. Copy success by all means, but only the truly stupid copy failure.

Last edited:
I've always thought that a 300C looks beautiful in pictures but looks rather slab sided and ugly in the metal. Just my opinion....

I've always thought that a 300C looks beautiful in pictures but looks rather slab sided and ugly in the metal. Just my opinion....

I am expecting some not to like the car, but fewer than I originally thought. It will b einteresting to see if the appeal is enduring.

I have to agree with hawk20.

I cannot justify a new E320cdi at £40k wiht the Chrysler equivalent kit.

To have the Merc engine and underpinnings and Brabus tuning (Brabus = Startech) who do the wheels and grills etc - that'll do for me.

Smillion

As you probably noticed on the test drive, the 300C has the five speed transmission, not the latest seven speed. Not that this is a big problem given the torque of the engine.

I agree with the earlier posts about the risks of diluting the brand.

smillion said:
I am expecting some not to like the car, but fewer than I originally thought. It will b einteresting to see if the appeal is enduring.

To have the Merc engine and underpinnings and Brabus tuning (Brabus = Startech) who do the wheels and grills etc - that'll do for me.

Smillion
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I watched a motoring program the night before last in which they featured a Cadillac. It sold in this country less than four years ago for £40,000, now it is not selling at £7000. This is not a whooping great big American thing, it is the size of the E\S class. US styling are two words that compare with US Intelligence!!!!!! Neither should be used in the same sentence. Hawk20 has wrote an excellent message and I fear that your car will depreciate nearly as badly as the Cadillac. Ssangyong also make vehicles powered by Mercedes-Benz. New just over £20,000 or just a couple of months old and fully loaded £16,000
Rexton.jpg

Unlike the new M-class this has 7 seats. Will it outsell the M-class??

Good luck with the new car,
John

I think that "brand snobbery" will keep Mercedes alive. Look at how well VAG have done by having their Audi/Volkswagen cars in conjunction with their Seat/Skoda cars. People buy the Skoda because they want a decent car for less money. People buy the Audi because they want an Audi and not an "almost" Audi. They're doing very well ;-)

-simon

DieselE said:
As you probably noticed on the test drive, the 300C has the five speed transmission, not the latest seven speed. Not that this is a big problem given the torque of the engine.

I agree with the earlier posts about the risks of diluting the brand.

Having driven a new SL with the 7 speed I can safely say I prefer the 5. The 300C probably is a bargain but it's a bit ungainly.

I hope you are getting a decent discount ...

www.drivethedeal.com are offering £1400 off the price with the luxury pack

smillion said:
I drove the Hemi yesterday :D . It sounded lovely on the forecourt but to be honest, from the inside, whilst quite quick it wasn't the blood and thunder you might (as I was) expecting. I had Dodge charger in mind !!!

The diesel will do just fine and all being well my order will be in by the end of the week. Still wrestling with the fact that whilst the car is £25,775, they want £2,600 for the satnav and sunroof (i.e. 10%). and I only want the sunroof - I am perfectly happy with my Tom Tom :confused:

decisons decisions ........

Watch ther classifieds for a lovely Silver E class E270 cdi 2002 Auto, 1 owner FSH 53,000 miles Panoramic roof, full leather, wood wheel, 17" wheels and sports suspension (oh yes, its silver... :eek: ) about £16,995.

Smillion :D

These cars look great esp when crusing down the motorway and one comes up behind you, Pimping! lol

Will you be blacking out the windows? great car for the price.

Hawk20 has wrote an excellent message and I fear that your car will depreciate nearly as badly as the Cadillac

Thanks for your thoughts John.

I agree depreciation will be higher than the Merc; having said that the diesel is very very popular and for the first time ever Chrysler dealers are having to quote 3-4 month delivery times. I believe that this shows that demand is there. Whether it is enduring remains to be seen.

In Monte Carlo this Summer the 300C attracted HUGE +'ve attention and I have a friend that lives there and owns one. (their taxis are E classes incidentally !)

I think if I had posted a picture of the Ssangyong or Cadillac the reception would have been much cooler.

My own E class has depreciated by 57% in 4 years - new £36,000; depreciation is £20,520. (I have been offered £14,000 p/x which I will not be taking).

The loaded 300C will be £27,000 and if it depreciates by £20,520 over the next 4 years, then that will leave a residual value of £6,480. Whilst depreciation is therefore 75%, its no more then the E, and in my heart of hearts I can't help thinking that this is the "at worst" scenario.

Thanks again for your thoughts, valuable as ever.

Smillion

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom