What Mercedes would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartK

MB Enthusiast
Car
F82 M4
If you wanted a daily driver to do 50-100 miles per day to munch and wanted a reliable Merc that's cheap on fuel and is around £1000 to buy what would you buy?

Thinking about putting miles on a dirtbox and garaging the c63 for weekend use as its getting too much mileage it will ruin it :(

W210 e200 classic. As solid as a w124 (except for rust) bombproof and decent fuel economy.
You won't be paying a 'premium' for a w124.
Of course a w124 at the right price would be good.

You're probably looking at a W202 petrol, dog slow with the smaller engines and prone to a bit of rust. I drove a maroon 2.2 petrol which I liked, but it had pathetic performance.

I bought a 190E for excatly this scenario in 2007. Now I wish I'd never sold it.

Brilliant car.

I was thinking diesel :)

As Ted said a W210 E200 auto, slow yes but still a good cruiser.

I've been there and done that as they say. One of the cheapest cars I ever ran. After many thousands of miles excluding petrol, ins. and road tax I think it cost me only c.£800 on depreciation, repairs and servicing.

^^^ pretty much perfect.

190D with the 2.5 OM602.

Although something Japanese is likely the way to go if running costs are the main factor!

Diesel and a grand?

http://mercland.com/car.html?id=3108

Maybe something like this.. if you prefer more rust then go for a w210

I noticed that earlier and thought yes that's decent. Whack a Tom Tom in and it's job done!

190D with the 2.5 OM602.

Although something Japanese is likely the way to go if running costs are the main factor!

190d are very, very hard to find.

I would like a 300d they seem to live forever!

If you wanted a daily driver to do 50-100 miles per day to munch and wanted a reliable Merc that's cheap on fuel and is around £1000 to buy what would you buy?

Thinking about putting miles on a dirtbox and garaging the c63 for weekend use as its getting too much mileage it will ruin it :(

A specialized mate with 21 gears reliability will depend on you!lol

190d are very, very hard to find.

I would like a 300d they seem to live forever!

I drove the best 300d I think I've come across today (and many times before), but you'd need a significantly larger budget. It's bodywork and suspension that now need a lot spent on most cheap 300ds. I've been in a £1000 300d. It was beyond horrible.

I drove the best 300d I think I've come across today (and many times before), but you'd need a significantly larger budget. It's bodywork and suspension that now need a lot spent on most cheap 300ds. I've been in a £1000 300d. It was beyond horrible.

Yeah I imagine £1000 would be rotten and problem ridden

I
190d are very, very hard to find. I would like a 300d they seem to live forever!

Jay's car is ideal. I didn't suggest one, as the 'average online find' would be a gamble.

I ran one for 4 years, loved it!:thumb:
The guy who bought it in 2011 has take it to 240K..and is modding the ECU for 230 bhp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom