What MPG are people getting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajay Bhatoa

Car
2020 C Class AMG Premium
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum! Took delivery of my 63 plate C220 CDI Auto AMG Sport Plus Coupe a couple of weeks ago.. The car is beautiful with its panoramic glass roof!

I just wanted to know what MPG people are getting on theirs?

I filled up today and reset the trip.. I've driven 17 miles on the motorway at around 40-60mph and town driving now around 20-25! Cars getting 31 MPG according to the trip!

I filled the car with £60 on the 5th and got 400 miles until the reserve light came on! Does this sound okay? It seems even when I drive carefully the trip doesn't say fantastic figures.

I've come from a 09 Scirocco GT TDi 170. And the trip on that always said around 40mpg and sometimes on the same journey to work I got that to return 57mpg. The Merc hasn't got above 37-39 really. I'm driving the car rather carefully and in ECO! It's hard to compare the two cars as my old car kept going into DPF regeneration every other week so used a lot of fuel most weeks.

I'm going to Manchester airport tomorrow which is a 120 mile round trip so I can gauge the car then!

On a daily drive I do 35 mile round trip to work, mainly motorway between 40-60 and maybe 10 which would be town driving. May I add at peak times!

The higher figures of 37-39 mpg we're only achieved using cruise control!

Any comments would be appreciated. Still trying to fathom out what the norm is with this car.

Pic of the car :-D

96c8791ef87af810b4edf2e9afa64afd.jpg

Cheers

Ajay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Best ive had is 63.94mpg over 50 miles, Brim then brim again, Usual mpg is around 50 out of the I6 e320 cdi.

Oh here's a pic lol
View attachment 55346

Last edited:
C220 AMG Line premium plus sports estate. Average 40mpg but dropping due to cold spell.
Best 57mpg driving like a Nun

20mpg mixed driving I reckon. I have had 402 miles from a tank though. C63.

I've had mine for 15 months, overall hitting 48 mpg, best I've had on 200 mile trip was 64mpg, round town it's doing 40mpg. I don't clog it unless I do 10 miles on the motorway to give the dpf a treat once a week.

Winter is not a good time to try and access typical MPG figures as you are bound to end up disappointed. I record every drop that goes in the tank and I'm seeing a significant reduction in average MPG of 10-15%. Your long trip might give a better result though.

To show the winter effect is very real here is the the fuel consumption of my other vehicle displayed over 9 years. Ignoring the general upwards trend the winter cycle of at least 15 % reduced MPG occurs consistently every year.

Attachments

• MPG.png
    MPG.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I got 35mpg going from Maidenhead to Leicester at a steady 85. (W210 E300td)

Last edited:
2002 E-Class 320CDI Estate.

Must remember to replace the thermostat to increase the MPG, though. :p

9th%20January%202016%20250.jpg

Last edited:
E55K. About 20-ish, 22 on a run. Worth every penny...

£60 of fuel? Would it not be better to tell us how many litres you bought??:doh:

Luckily still got the receipt.. 57.06 litres! Got 400 miles, refilled will 50 miles range left!

Luckily still got the receipt.. 57.06 litres! Got 400 miles, refilled will 50 miles range left!

Indeed, because if you had been buying it today you'd have bought more than 60 litres, and that would make quite a difference to the mpg figures.

So, 12.5 gallons into 400 miles is about 32 mpg...not great...except that was to the reserve so closer to 40 mpg.

To do the test, fill the tank measure the mileage and fill again, then you can be reasonably accurate..

Indeed, because if you had been buying it today you'd have bought more than 60 litres, and that would make quite a difference to the mpg figures.

So, 12.5 gallons into 400 miles is about 32 mpg...not great...except that was to the reserve so closer to 40 mpg.

To do the test, fill the tank measure the mileage and fill again, then you can be reasonably accurate..

The first 80/90 miles was all town driving and it does seem to guzzle a lot around town! When I got the car the 'from reset trip said 42' and the 'from start said 27' but I did have it in sport mode on the test drive!

It's going to Mercedes on Monday to get the panoramic roof lubricated as its struggling to open after the first few times I've used it! Guessing previous owner never really used it. So I may ask them to see if there's an underlying issue to the low mpg.

Last edited:
W205 C Class 2 litre Petrol auto bought October 2015

41.5 mpg Urban
64.2 mpg Extra Urban
53.3 mpg Combined

34 mpg Real life.

I don’t know how these car manufactures get away with their lies that real world motorists can never achieve.

What is really apparent to me is the massive difference a in mpg a short journey can have compared to a long journey. For the first quarter mile my car is doing around 10 mpg. After half a mile that will creep up to around 18 mpg. It is only after 15 miles on a motorway that figure will start to hit the mid to high 30’s as the figure has been pulled down by the first few miles so my average is never less than 34mpg per tank but never more than 35 mpg either .

I've a 2014 S204 C180 (1.6 turbo petrol auto). Did a run from the New Forest to Gatwick and back very early yesterday morning - pretty cold weather - and averaged 47mpg. A really good run up, traffic back, averaged 53 miles an hour according to the trip.

I'm pretty much only using BP Ultimate (97RON) now, it maybe in my head, but I can tell the difference in the smoothness of the engine, and I've decided (without any evidence) that this must mean the mpg improvement pays for the higher pump price. I also run the car on Michelin Cross Climate tyres, on 16" wheels, very impressed with these.

What fuel / tyres do you have?

36mpg average in my e280 3.0L V6

Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-2719439442.jpg
    image-2719439442.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 64
I picked up my 2011 c220 CDI AMG Sport estate just before xmas and have done 1200 miles so far.

I've not worked out the real world mpg yet but since reset when I bought the car, the computer currently reads 49.6mpg. That's a 60/40 mix of motorway/town.

A trip down the motorway shows around 55mpg at 70mph.

Mines a manual box though but worth mentioning I found economy worse in cruise. Best economy I've got was when I used the speed limiter and drove sensibly, which was just under 59mpg.

It's worth checking your wheel alignment and tyre pressures. I always get my cars aligned on day 1 of ownership. This Merc was toeing out up front despite feeling fine on the test drive. That'll hurt economy a bit if not cured. Same with pressures too.

Last edited:
W204 C320 CDI

Average over 8000 miles is 37.2

Easy to get 45 on any decent run where the car is fully warmed up.

We do have these questions now and then,about MPG,of course people would like to know what their car is doing,the ONLY way to check is to pick a local filling station,use the same pump,you will all have noticed that the pumps spout is the same design all over the country and on the underside of the spout you have two ridges,put the spout right into the filler,fill until it clicks,pull it out to the first ridge and continue to fill until the handle clicks,the car is full,or I should say for the testing of MPG it is full reset the trip and drive,then repeat at the same pump and then get the calculator ,it is the only way to get a accurate MPG

I average about 34MPG from a full tank in my CLK270. Range is about 450 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom