What oil

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
I need to top up my C180, do I need to use the exact oil that the dealership used when serviced last or can I top up with something else. Do I use mineral, synthetic or semi sythentic, what brands do you use ?

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
if its been filled up with synthetic, then top up with synthetic if you can - don't think its a good idea to mix synth & semi-synth. But wouldn't worry about using exactly the same brand that the dealer used.

My car was filled with Mobil 1 0W-40 at the last service, and I top up with Castrol RS 0W-40 that I had a lot of left over from previous car - no problems at all.

S.

Robbo

Car
C320 (W203) & A170 (W169)
I agree with sym on this.

Out of interest, do you find you need to top up between services? what kind of oil consumption are you getting? I have been trying to monitor my oil consumption, but the dashboard monitoring is not very good for this. The first indication of any oil consumption is when it says add 1 litre. I would much prefer to have a good old fashioned dipstick!

Cheers, Robbo

djcheung

Car
W211 E320 CDI
I am using the Castrol SLX-II 0-30W which is the currently motor oil recommended by the stealers. The engine gets warm much quicker in the morning but it seems to stay hot longer with aircon on.
I put a litre of oil between services - 12,000-13,000 miles.

David.

rirhill

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Estate
Andy
I think they put what oil was used on the last service in the service book.

Cheers
Ian

OP
OP
Andy W

Andy W

Car
ML 270 cdi
Thanks Ian, I never thought of checking that. Just checked the book, ESSO ULTRON used. Is this available from Halfords ?

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
......Esso petrol stations, I think ! (maybe hellfords too!)

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom