What price differential makes indie worthwhile.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
As the title really.

My thoughts brought about by a BMW dealer about 20 miles from us who so fat have come within £15 of an Indie (one for a service, one for a thermostat), including a courtesy car.

Each time the difference is so small it seem's daft to lose the full main dealer history?

Other's views?

At that price and if the dealer does it right and you get a loaner, keep going back.

If the dealer messes it up, take it elsewhere regardless of cost but if the dealer works on the car and does it properly for a good price, why take it elsewhere?

I agree. Our local dealer a few months back was very aggressively targeting the indies and would pretty much price match. I still use the main dealer for the SLK/CLK servicing but Olly at PCS for the 124 largely because he knows more about them than the main dealer and provides a great service.

Dealer does always do a good job (I used them when I had the 7 series), but it's interesting the different attitudes. The local dealer sniffs and declines to consider their prices compared to the above.

I'm curious as to when the difference is 'enough'.

The difference will be enough not only on price but quality of service.

Do consider not only the price of the service but the value of it too. On a nearly new model like an E60 then the dealer is still able to work on that car, as that car ages and becomes less common place, you may well find an indie a better place to go.

Whilst the dealer meets your expectations and delivers you the service at a cost thats ok, why consider the alternatives until the dealer can no longer provide you with what you need....

Dealers don't provide hobnobs or loads of builders tea which you can make yourself.
No comparison IMHO - go Indy!
Can you really see Ollie in a suit???

It depends on if you are getting EXACTLY the same... Dealer Services are normally strictly to schedule and then they will charge you extra for time based items..

Many indies will include some of these in a service..

For example in a B service for £235 + VAT we include Oil, Air, Fuel & Pollen filters as well as the rest of the service.. Dealers would charge extra for all of them apart from Oil.

Assuming there are no warranty issues then whoever does the best job- provided as has been hinted at---- you are comparing like with like. However the BMW workshop will certainly use bona fide BMW parts/ fluids at full retail whereas the independent may use perfectly good pattern parts at considerably lower cost. I think its important to build a relationship with the people who service your car- you get to know them- they get to know you---- its less likely now in a main dealer that you will ever meet the guy who actually works on your car---- they are usually 3 or 4 stages removed--- reception---workshop manager- foreman - mechanic. This can lead to "misunderstandings" on both sides. Some main dealers are better than others at this so its not a hard and fast rule by any means. All things being equal ---quality of service, communication and price, I would be inclined to "share the love" and alternate the work over time. That way means you should always have a choice? Fair competition should keep both parties honest. If that local independent goes under-- expect a hike in your local main dealer service costs soon after. ;)

For me, it's not only money, it also comes down to attitude and courtesy etc. A lot of the main dealers I've used (and worked at) over the years have a very bad attitude and I rarely feel like giving them my car and cash! Not to mention do I trust them..?

Exception is the Toyota dealer I dealt with for my Auris who were exceptional. See what they're like at service time...

Agree with last post.
Trust and service.
That's what counts.

I've always done most of my own service work.
You can't slag yourself off on the forum, can you ?

Anything I can't do (and at my age that list in increasing), I have one Indy who has given me great service and who I trust.

MB in Bradford have not impressed me.
I've never used them for service - But their spares department have left a lot to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom