what product for cleaning alloy wheels-lots of caked on brake dust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've used a number of these cleaners and currently using the one that Tesco makes and sells (red liquid in kitchen cleaner style plastic spray bottle). Saw it on the shelf last year and as it was cheap thought I'd try it. Works really well, I spray on before washing the car and finish off the last of the soapy water on all four wheels, works a treat.

Only car I had issues with was my C250 Elegance with the standard alloys, nothing would lift the dirt off those wheels, tried all sorts. In the end a mixture of wonder wheels, T-Cut and much rubbing with the handle of a soft plastic toothbrush shifted it. Each wheel took an hour, looked great in the advert when I sold it........:D
Each wheel took an hour is killing...:crazy:

With really bad wheels it's better (and probably quicker) to take them off the car and put them on a trestle or something. Then you can work on them at a decent height.

Wonderwheels gives excellent results. Once they are clean, try to keep them that way as any further prolongd build up of muck and you will be using Wonderwheels again-Something that is not recommended too often-Great results though. As above, be careful if you have damaged paint/laquer on your wheels.

any product containing Phosphoric acid works well, such as some toilet cleaners. however dilution before use might me advisable.

look on the ingredient list of some of the expensive products ,,and it is there..

the usual priviso, wash off well afterwards.

Once, I'd use wonder wheels or similar acid product.

However the Bilberry stuff referred to earlier is amazing, totally non-corrosive and smells pretty nice too :thumb:

I use it on my dust-caked fronts weekly and it's amazing stuff.

Wonder Wheels when I first get a car, then I just keep on top of them with a weekly wash and wax of the wheels. When your wheels are waxed and washed weekly the dirt comes off easy ;)

Wheel cleaner

Turtle Wax Extreme Nano-Tech Wax use it all the time the best in my opinion
Tich

for any ingrained tar spots, the best thing by far is a tub of margarine... no kidding, a little bit on the tip of your finger, rub it onto the tar spots and leave for a few minutes before wiping off. then clean with a non corrosive wheel cleaner to a brilliant finish! takes me about 20 minutes to do a set of 4 wheels with caked on dust!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom