What should I ask for realistically?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Hey all :)

The time has come to sell my car (Credit crunch has led to me being crazy skint).

I'd like to know what you guy's think I should put it up for (Classified).

It's a 1998 (S) C180 Elegance (w202) in dark green. Done approx 107k, auto, saloon. Does need some TLC, there's some scuff marks on the bumbers, the front arches have started to show a little rust, and some on the bonnet too (a bit next to the grill, and star), and around the bootlock. She drives perfectly, and the only faults are the rear passenger side window needs looking at (Think motors gone), and the bootlock needs repairing (Have the barrel, but the housing needs replacing), but it still opens fine with the keyfob and button on the console. Bonnet could do with a mop too.

It's not Taxed or MOT'd - I know it's best to have this when selling, but I REALLY cannot afford to do so (hence the sale!) and it's currently SORN'd.

I'd like to get as much for it as possible of course, but I really don't know what it's value is, can anyone enlighten me?

That car has Ebay written all over it.

Write up a good detailed and honest avert with lots of photos.

£500 if you're lucky.

If you think it would pass an MOT, I would beg/borrow/steal the money to get it MOTed: it will add a lot to the final value (would you buy a car without an MOT?)

I would also do those other jobs: they will not cost you anything but time and I always think a car with lots of small jobs which need doing is unloved and will have bigger issues and this will put buyers off.

If you think it would pass an MOT, I would beg/borrow/steal the money to get it MOTed: it will add a lot to the final value (would you buy a car without an MOT?)

I would also do those other jobs: they will not cost you anything but time and I always think a car with lots of small jobs which need doing is unloved and will have bigger issues and this will put buyers off.

i agree - get it MOTd if you reckon it will pass. will add hundreds to the amount it will go for otherwise.

if i were looking at a car without an MOT i'd assume that the seller knows something is expensively wrong. if it fails then you've only lost £40-ish and can atleast say "needs £100" to get an MOT done on it with a piccy of the failure in the advert.

most standard buyers will shy away from it though as its not a rare car or anything.

good luck anyway. i would ebay it with lots of nice photos. without an MOT i wouldnt spend more than £400 on it as i'd be assumming a bill of atleast £200 - £300 to get it through an MOt before i'd even looked at it.

Thanks all so far - looks like I'll have to find a way to MOT it really. Problem is, without tax/insurance, how can I get it there?

Thanks all so far - looks like I'll have to find a way to MOT it really. Problem is, without tax/insurance, how can I get it there?

you can drive it to an MOT station if you have booked it without tax iirc. insurance-wise, get it insured for the day or get a mate to drive it 3rd party on his comp insurance if he is allowed to drive other cars... or arrange for the garage to pick it up and drop it off afterwards - some offer this service and avoids you driving it with no insurance. or get it towed there by the garage, but of course that will cost. dont feel tempted to drive it with no insurance - its not worth the risk

This is not advice, just information ;)

Check that the car looks road worthy (lights, tyres etc). Drive it sensibly to your nearest MoT centre.

edit: as SilverSaloon suggests it almost certainly isn't worth the risk taking my information

Thanks, but combined with the information that I'll be finally getting my current 6 points off in the summer and for the first time have a clean license, I'd rather not lol

its the the MOT or TAX thats an issue - if its booked for an MOT you will be OK on those scores (i think).

use somewhere like www.tempcover.com for the day - or like i say get someone who is comp insured to drive it 3rd party to the garage and back.

if you hit the brand new S class by mistake who brakes suddenly in front of you, you'll need insurance. you'll also need it if you knock someone down.

Wow, just £22 for a days cover - I always thought those places were a lot more expensive than that!

What service history does it have? If good, then with the window and bootlock fixed I'd hope for near to £1000.

It does have a lot of service history (not full though). Fixing the bootlock and window probably wont happen though, just getting it MOT'd will wipe out what spare cash I have right now (Credit crunch has hit hard!)

It does have a lot of service history (not full though). Fixing the bootlock and window probably wont happen though, just getting it MOT'd will wipe out what spare cash I have right now (Credit crunch has hit hard!)

they are minor issues..... probably both things you could fix yourself cheaply and easily if you are a DIYer

get a good ebay advert up with LOTS of nice piccies and get it nice and clean. clay bar and polish it. doesnt cost a lot apart from your time but will make a big difference.

Last edited:
Spend some time looking at other car auctions on Ebay. You'll quickly see which ones look good and those that don't. Then simply copy the best advertisment styles you see to make you own. Good luck.

I agree with the others. With the greatest of respect, W202 C180s are two a penny these days and even cleaner/higher specced W202s can be had for around a grand. I'd be surprised if it went for more than a grand - that's with an MOT and obviously whatever little jobs might need doing.

It might even make more cash as a breaker?

eBay is free to list at the moment (.99p start IIRC - not 100% of cars/bits). Perhaps try and see what interest you get before comitting to an MOT if you're that skint :)

Will

I agree with the others. With the greatest of respect, W202 C180s are two a penny these days and even cleaner/higher specced W202s can be had for around a grand. I'd be surprised if it went for more than a grand - that's with an MOT and obviously whatever little jobs might need doing.

It might even make more cash as a breaker?

eBay is free to list at the moment (.99p start IIRC - not 100% of cars/bits). Perhaps try and see what interest you get before comitting to an MOT if you're that skint :)

Will
yeah you can always end the auction early just before its abotu to end or put a reserve on it of £700. cant see it reaching that without an mot though....

Thanks folks - I knew it's not going to be worth that much, but I didnt want to advertise it thinking it was worth more than it might be.

Selling it's the important part, the price, not AS important lol

Thanks folks - I knew it's not going to be worth that much, but I didnt want to advertise it thinking it was worth more than it might be.

Selling it's the important part, the price, not AS important lol

ebay it with no reserve then. then end it early if its stupidly low.

get a mate to drive it 3rd party on his comp insurance if he is allowed to drive other cars

potentially very dangerous advice

Read the small print

Third party cover offered (as an extension of your own insurance) whilst driving other people's vehicles is almost always dependent on the vehicle already being insured by the owner.

You can't just jump into any car (that you don't own) and drive it on your own insurance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom