What Should I Do With My 500 SEC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ADY1983

MB Enthusiast
Car
300CE-24 Sportline, MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Edition, Scirocco GTII
I’m unsure of what to do with my old 500 SEC I sold it to my Brother who no longer wants it. Last year it had a lot of welding done to get it through its MOT and a few other bits, the MOT has now run out. So do I put a new MOT on it or should I sell it as it is or do I break it???

I’m not sure what it would cost to get it through the MOT but shouldn’t be to bad!

It’s a 1984, it does have a fair bit of rust around the body usual places, however does benefit from a full Zender body kit and a nice set of staggered Lorinser Alloys, it is also a high spec with leather A/C and cruise.

I really don’t know what to do for the best, so wondered what the panel think?? :)

Some old pics

100_0576.jpg

100_0572.jpg

my merc had the same kit as yours : )

massive fan of the sec....just keep it!!!

Ady - sorry might be being a bit thick here but if your brother bought it isn't it his problem as it's his car?

Ady - sorry might be being a bit thick here but if your brother bought it isn't it his problem as it's his car?

Thanks Pammy, I know it's not really my problem but shortly after he bought it from me the Gearbox went wrong he had a new one fitted by the garage my parents use. He lives in London and has since bought an Audi S8 so now it's at my parents house, my Brother doesn't get down here much and really doesn't know anything about cars just likes V8's this was his first car :D

So with him paying to have a new box I feel a bit guilty and don't mind sorting it out for him, obviously I would like to get as much for it as I can.

I see - and understand your dilemma! Why don't you put it through an MOT first and take it from there. At least then you know what you're dealing with. If it passes at least you have a runner that someone might be interested in with 12 months MOT. Or you have something to offer without MOT but an idea of what it would cost to fix or at worst a breaker depending what the MOT finds.

Thats worth nothing at all without an MOT, i watched a red one with full AMG kit and wheels and a dented door go for £240 on ebay a couple of weeks ago, if you want any money for it it will need to be running properly and legal to drive, if not find someone with a barn and hide it away for 20 years, or just give it to me and i'll fix it up and use it. :D

my merc had the same kit as yours : )

massive fan of the sec....just keep it!!!

O/T, but what is that Merc in your signiture photo, r11pak? It look suspciously like a certain Twin Turbo brabus car, I once spied on Exchange and Mart :rock:

Darren

Hello

Without an MOT its worth very little maybe a few hundred quid.

Its huge, expensive poor mpg and needs work so you need to really want to do that up (deep pockets) to offer any serious money.

For £50 as mentioned run it through an MOT and see how bad it is. With an MOT your talking at lest sensible money. Without I would guess a few hundred.

Thanks for the reply's guys, it is booked in for MOT on Monday, so I'll report back :)

Ade it is a 500 it's just badged as a 560 was on there when I bought it.

Well she doesn’t need a lot of work really, but my Brother just wants me to sell it as it is rather than spend any money on it. It needs a rear shock absorber and some welding up front can’t remember exactly which bits but the garage quoted £50 -£100 for all the welding needed. The hazards played up on the day they were fine the day before so maybe a loose wire:rolleyes: and that’s it.

I’m going to put it in the classifieds then it will going on eBay.:(

Put a reserve on it and dont be suprised if it dont even make 500 quid without an MOT.

Put a reserve on it and dont be suprised if it dont even make 500 quid without an MOT.

It probably wont be resersved to be honest, I'm not expecting a lot for it either, might even break it yet, the wheels and stainless steel exhaust will probably make more than the car, lol.

SEC's fetch between 600-1000 just for breaking... if thats enough then stick it on ebay..

Hi Ady, pm me about this car please. Cheers (newbie to this forum with not enough posts to pm yet !!!)

Hi Ady, pm me about this car please. Cheers (newbie to this forum with not enough posts to pm yet !!!)

You'll have to get posting John, I can't PM you either until you have 30 posts under belt :)

damn it ! ive only been active here a week !
trying to add posts but i dont believe in posting inanely for the sake of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom