What should we do when an animal is hit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sadly, the RSPCA seem less and less interested these days.....

We phoned them to report a 'river gypsy' who was living on board a steel narrowboat with 5 alsations, leaving them either locked inside in the boat (during the summer) or running wild on the towpath .....

RSPCA's response ' Nothing we can do , call the council ' Cheers ...... :mad:

We have called them before on numerous occasions for injured wildfowl , they just weren't interested .... hence why we now call 'Wildlife Aid'

We get seals regularly at Teddington , they come up , have a browse around eat all the fish, cos it's easy, they can't excape and then bugger off .....

Twice i have seen the RSPCA attend, once when there was a small seal on the beach and they had been informed that a BBC camera crew was there :rolleyes: , they took it away , never to be seen again .....

and again , a very large seal climbed out onto the bathing platform of a large Princess motor cruiser, the owner called the RSPCA, who did attend this time , presumably because they thought that the cameras would be there again. The officer looked at the seal, that was lying still and stated that he didn't really know what to do , and wondered if it was dead.

He then climbed onto the boat and poked it with his hand:eek: at which point the seal woke up in a most alarmed manner , nearly knocking the bloke off the boat and damaging the bathing platform as it shot back into the water at warp 9 ......

Sadly, i have no confidence in the RSPCA any more and have cancelled my direct debit donation some time ago ...... :(

So for me.

An animal is also a life as everybody else. I know lots of people don't care but most of those people are only caring about them selfs and are happy as long their car isn't damaged.

This http://www.actionagainstpoisoning.com/ are very good friends of my who are helping animals because they have also a right to live!

It's us who are driving with big metal things over them... And most of the times they stop to see if there is a scats on their bumper...

Sad but true and they call them selfs humans...

bt

Last edited:
Rose Chap said:
John, I think all vets are under obligation, a bit like a hippocratic oath for vets, to render aid to any animal injured or in distress, and that extends to veterinary surgeries doing a reasonable amount to help wild animals, and like you say they aren't necessarily charged.

I'll check with Rose Chap-ette and get this clarified though to see if its a legal thing or an ethical thing.

Okay, I checked with Rose Chick and the deal is that ALL vets are obliged to treat wild animals for no charge to the person who bought it in (I suppose if you bought in a domestic cat in the same situation it could be chargable due to aforementioned cat's lack of wildness).

Apparently sometimes the vet practice can ask the RSPCA to reimburse their costs, but that seems to depend on the vet practice concerned. Also, she informs me that a fox injured in an RTA would be treated the same way as a dog, which also stands to reason.

Furthermore, as a piece of advice, she said if you do find an injured wild animal at a strange time of the day its worth phoning the local vet practice to make sure they have the capability to handle out of hours surgery, and if you're in any doubt then if you phone the RSCPA they wiill be able to tell you where the closest vet surgery capable of dealing with your problem is.

Hope this helps.

Rose Chap said:
Okay, I checked with Rose Chick and the deal is that ALL vets are obliged to treat wild animals for no charge to the person who bought it in
Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to confirm your previous post.

Regards
John

Rose Chap said:
Okay, I checked with Rose Chick and the deal is that ALL vets are obliged to treat wild animals for no charge to the person who bought it in (I suppose if you bought in a domestic cat in the same situation it could be chargable due to aforementioned cat's lack of wildness).

Good to know .

I based my earlier comment on an experience my sister had . She came across an injured cat lying in the road and took it to the vet , who came out to the surgery out of hours , told her its back was broken and it would have to be put down - this together with the charge for disposing of the body cost her about £90 !

I also remember many years ago (1960's) , that my dad ran over a dog and called the police , local sarge came up , decided it needed put out of its misery and shot it !

BTW , is it still FOC if you admit you hit the animal with your car ? Or are you expected to pay then claim from your insurance ?

The RSPCA's agenda is prosecuting malefactors and if there's no-one to threaten or prosecute save your breathe, the face ain't listening.

I don't give to the RSPCA anymore.

If you want to protect animals give to the cats protection league, or Battersea dogs home or whatever other charity that actually cares about animal welfare, not just law enforcement.
Just IMO.

Nice to hear that people still care about animals both wild and domesticated.
One word of advice though and that is that foxes, as well as other wild animals, can carry diseases such as Mange and other nasties.
Be careful when handling wild animals as they are likely to bite being under distress.
I think the taxi driver did the fox a favour TBH.
Mac.

When I ran over the badger that came charging out of the night it did £3000 worth of damage though what can you expect at 60mph? I did wonder whether the badger had scrap value but you really don't want to go looking for road kills on a dual carriageway at dead of night.

Pontoneer said:
I based my earlier comment on an experience my sister had . She came across an injured cat lying in the road and took it to the vet , who came out to the surgery out of hours , told her its back was broken and it would have to be put down - this together with the charge for disposing of the body cost her about £90 !

Hmmmmmm...

If that was the case after i had done the good deed , they wanted to charge me nearly a ton :eek: .... it would have been a case of ' Oh , OK , my wallets in the car, i'll just go and get it ...... '

Soon as you are outside and in the car , you could do your best Jean Luc Picard impression ........ ' Warp 9 Engage ...... ' ;)

I love animals , but i'm not paying for someone elses cat to be put to sleep....

Wonder what they'd do if you said ' Ninety Quid !!!! give it back, i'll do it myself !! ' :devil:

Howard said:
Wonder what they'd do if you said ' Ninety Quid !!!! give it back, i'll do it myself !! ' :devil:

LOL

While we're lightening the mood, I had to laugh at the irony of this one...

On my way back from the counsellors today, hacking down the A4 and a pheasant wanders into the other side road in front. Myself and the car in front start to back off, in case the inevitable happens.

Lo and behold, the pheasant waits until the last minute and then makes a dash for it, and the car in front collects it dead centre...feathers everywhere, and the gizzard slides into the kerb, clearly dead.

The irony? The car in front was a Volvo V70 Paramedic Ambulance!

When I lived in Australia my folks drove between Melbourne in Victoria to Perth in Western Australia a couple of times. A distance of around 2000-2500 miles.
This stretch of road was known as the nullabor Straights.
One of the biggest dangers was being hit by a kangaroo and I am talking about the big reds around 61/2 to 7 feet tall! They were known to leap out of the bush into oncoming cars and it was like hitting a cow.
Anyway, this one time as we approached the outskirts of Melbourne and had successfully managed to avoid any form of marsupial a Roo jumped out from the side and jumped clean over our car but unfortunately hit a car coming the other way. The car was totaled but no people were hurt. The roo on the other hand didn't survive.
Mac.

MPD SHAG CATTLE :bannana:
Was the mnemonic we used to use dealing with animals and accidents

Mule Pig Dog Sheep Horse Ass Goat Cow

Pete

Howard said:
Hmmmmmm...

If that was the case after i had done the good deed , they wanted to charge me nearly a ton :eek: .... it would have been a case of ' Oh , OK , my wallets in the car, i'll just go and get it ...... '

Soon as you are outside and in the car , you could do your best Jean Luc Picard impression ........ ' Warp 9 Engage ...... ' ;)

I love animals , but i'm not paying for someone elses cat to be put to sleep....

My sister did exactly that .... " Don't have the money on me ..."

They sent a bill to her home address , which she ignored until they threatened her with debt collector - then she paid .

How did they get her home address ?

Howard said:
How did they get her home address ?
They probably convinced her to fill in a form so she could be entered for "citizen of the year" or something ;)

:d Lol .......

They asked her - in her state of distress Carole answered all their questions without thinking .

If anyone ran over my dog
- I would prob kill them and then look after my dog...

Mike

GSMGuy said:
If anyone ran over my dog
- I would prob kill them and then look after my dog...

Mike
;) ;) I am a dog lover and have owned German Shepherds for over 30 years, having competed and won numerous Working Trials so when I say I find your remarks strange please do not take offence.

Dogs usually get run over because they are not on a lead? Dogs usually get run over because of the owners negligence?

I have had the misfortune to hit a dog that run out directly in front of me, it was not a nice experience and something that plays on your mind.

We as dog owners have a responsibility of care, dogs or any other animal do not know the highway code, they do not know they can get run over.

Why would you want to kill someone for something that could possibly be your fault?

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom