What Size? W124

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Parky1

Car
Mercedes 1988 230CE, Ford Capri 2.8I
Hi

My w124 coupe has 18 inch alloys and has been slammed by the previous owner. Because it is so low the tyres arent really suitable and the edges of the rims stick out so every time I hit a pot hole it takes a chunk of my alloys.

I have no idea how much it has been lowered by so I dont know what springs to get to raise it up but not to stock height. I want to raise it enough for the alloys to have bigger tyres to protect the edges and so it doesnt scrape when turning.

So my question is what springs should I be looking at and would you keep standard shocks?

Thanks, Luke

It would depend on what has been installed, I would start by looking if the standard springs have been cut or what shocks if standard are installed?

If your planning on raising the car by a small amount, the cheapest option would be to install thicker spring pads/shims if the current springs are ok. If you google w124 spring pads, all will be explained.

If you are keeping the car, I'd fit new springs and shocks from well respected manufacturers that offer complete kits like Bilstein, Koni and H&R. Job done as they say. For value and the bonus of the strong £, I doubt you'll get better value than eBay.de. The target price I'd aim for is £280-300 (€400-425) delivered.

Yeah ive been looking at complete sets I just dont know what size as the car isn't standard. What im trying to say is if I order 40mm lowering springs I wouldnt know whether to expect a raise or a drop in the height as the springs on now could be 60mm or they could be 40mm I have no idea.

Not too keen on the pads ide rather have a proper set of new springs and shocks.

Thanks

Yeah ive been looking at complete sets I just dont know what size as the car isn't standard. What im trying to say is if I order 40mm lowering springs I wouldnt know whether to expect a raise or a drop in the height as the springs on now could be 60mm or they could be 40mm I have no idea.

Not too keen on the pads ide rather have a proper set of new springs and shocks.

Thanks

What size tyres are you using? If you can, post up a pic of your car and we might be able to judge the height from that. It would also help to know what size spring pads you have fitted.

Another thing to bear in mind is that lowering springs for the w124 seem to always give a drop 5mm more than stated on a 4cyl car. So 40mm becomes 45mm, it get's worse on the 6cyl cars as those drop an extra 10mm....

The springs pads are mercedes parts, fitted from new. There are four sizes depending on the car spec etc to keep the ride height the same.

Your car may already have a bilstein kit installed, all it may need is thickers pads to raised 5/10mm.

Thanks

If you get a complete lowering kit, say it states -25/35/40mm etc (which is based on a standard car) you can adjust the ride height with spring pads if required. Iirc the pads as mentioned by 91dm they are available in three or four ride heights and there's no reason not to use them on a road car. Don't try to reinvent the wheel so to speak as what I've suggested it what most W124 owners do even with 18's, provided you have suitable 18's and tyres to start with. Oh, and take Carat 3.6's advice. Job done! :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom