What slide in radio\navigation system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Good morning everyone,
My wife has had to go up to Lincolnshire to visit her uncle and mother who are both unwell. The daft old bat has insisted in taking up the Sprinter to put some miles onto it. (yes, I am worried about her) This vehicle has an excellent navigation system, BUT it is fitted in the rear of the vehicle!!

What I now intend doing is removing the standard Sprinter radio and sliding in a replacement with a very simple navigation system. I would prefer a DVD system, but what does the forum think and recommend? Is Ebay a suitable source?

I do not want something that is easily 'steal-able' or a temporary install?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

John

John,

Have you considered a Tom Tom go? Probably be the cheapest option and you can use it in other cars if wanted by other members of family.

I know TOM TOM is temporary but if its not to be used that often could always be removed and kept indoors.

Would the Sprinter's radio slot have the necessary feeds (thinking of speed pulse, GPS aerial connection, etc.) for an in-dash nav. system?

I'm afraid I agree that a Tom Tom would almost certainly be the quickest / cheapest / easiest solution. As far as being 'nickable' goes, it only takes a moment to remove from the windscreen (and if the screen is clean in the first place, there's no tell-tale circular mark).

Not sure if it (electrical) fits, but what about an 'eBay' Audio 30 APS (BE4716)? Simple the use and you can slide it in the standard slot...

thats insane ..

why doesnt she just take the 211 with comand in it ? :crazy:

The latest Tomtom One is very light and slim so you can pocket it easily (£178 online/£199 Dixons etc).

My wife's is mounted on my combination of a mobile phone holder and the original bracket - so it clips into the air vent rather than on the screen.

(Don't buy the "old" One by mistake)

BTB 500 said:
Would the Sprinter's radio slot have the necessary feeds (thinking of speed pulse, GPS aerial connection, etc.) for an in-dash nav. system?

I'm afraid I agree that a Tom Tom would almost certainly be the quickest / cheapest / easiest solution. As far as being 'nickable' goes, it only takes a moment to remove from the windscreen (and if the screen is clean in the first place, there's no tell-tale circular mark).
Hi Bill,
Not sure about the different feeds but hopefully it will be easily do-able.

I am totally ignorant about Tom Tom, but I want something that is exceedingly easy to use and easy to reach. The screen is ten thousand miles away from my 'midget' :) :) of a wife, although if it can be dash mounted then it might be a consideration.

fuzzer said:
why doesnt she just take the 211 with comand in it ?
This is TOTALLY the 'bosses' decision and one which I fully support. The Sprinter is four years old and has just clocked up 8000 miles. It desperately needs to be used. (I don't like it standing around for months without use)

The Sprinter is also a nice secure vehicle. When she stops for a rest at the motorway services, she simply sits in the rear of the vehicle completely out of sight.

John

glojo said:
The screen is ten thousand miles away from my 'midget' :) :) of a wife, although if it can be dash mounted then it might be a consideration.

I can't reach the windscreen on my Sharan either, but some Tom Toms have a remote control. This uses radio rather than IR, so it doesn't have to be pointing at the Tom Tom unit and can be used in its supplied mount (which you can position anywhere handy) rather than hand-held.

In reality, on the move you rarely need to do anything anyway .. other than follow the instructions of course!

Hi Bill
The Sprinter already has a Pioneer DVD navigation system fitted into the rear of the vehicle (In my command and control position) :D :D so I am hoping it might be possible to splice into some of these feeds. Another GPS antenna would be no big deal as there is a huge flat roof.

I am reviewing my decision on the type of system and if Tom Tom has a voice operated system then that might be a plus point, but it would have to be very user friendly and not something that keeps failing to recognise the input command??

John

glojo said:
if Tom Tom has a voice operated system then that might be a plus point, but it would have to be very user friendly and not something that keeps failing to recognise the input command??

No, it doesn't have voice input. The top model (910) has text-to-voice output though, so it reads out place and road names (e.g. rather than just "turn left" you'd get "turn left, High Street, towards Maidenhead") as well as reading out text messages on your phone as they arrive!

Have a look on the TomTom website:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1&TT=49q1jiojuar7q96p8hl1uklt95

Before my patented airvent job, wifey used to have the Tom on the side window so it was 8 inches from her nose.

The power adaptor was festooned over the binnacle which didn't worry her but wound me up!

If you set up addresses as favourites and turn some of the choices off, route planning is a case of tapping the screen a few times (and you go to the door, not just to the 1/2 street).

We decided to just buy the cheapest Tom every couple of years to keep up with the technology - the old one goes on Ebay (for 60% of new price last time at 2 years old). The biggest difference this time is the new GPS chips....picks up a signal in 10-15 sec from switch on and even works in the glovebox and deep inside the house using just the internal aerial.

She uses the speed limit warning feature a lot too and her mates keep sending us POI files for their newly discovered pubs etc.

How about a second screen for your current dvd system and another remote control for the front? :)

Even if its an IR remote , any auto electrician should be able to rig up an IR repeater to the back of the van :)

Hi,

If you are interested, I have a couple of Blaupunkt din size radio/CD/satnav units lying about here. New, in box, never used. These do not need speed pulse. But the GPS aerial does need fitting somewhere. I know they are easy to use, even a plank like me can use it.......

Cheers

jgevers said:
Hi,

If you are interested, I have a couple of Blaupunkt din size radio/CD/satnav units lying about here. New, in box, never used. These do not need speed pulse. But the GPS aerial does need fitting somewhere. I know they are easy to use, even a plank like me can use it.......

Cheers

Would these be a straight swap - ie easy enough for someone without a clue!!!!

fuzzer said:
How about a second screen for your current dvd system and another remote control for the front? :)

Even if its an IR remote , any auto electrician should be able to rig up an IR repeater to the back of the van :)
That is something I was thinking about. The present system has voice recognition software, plus remote controls (but they would baffle the boss)

jgevers said:
If you are interested, I have a couple of Blaupunkt din size radio/CD/satnav units lying about here. New, in box, never used.
I only want one!:D Hi Job,
Thanks very much for the offer. If you don't mind, I would like a couple of days to look at the different options, but your suggestion fits the bill at the moment.

Following on from fuzzers suggestion I am half heartedly considering this system but this is only a consideration. I would replace the set-up I have at present. Fit the complete unit in my console, then just have an extra touch screen monitor in the front of the vehicle? I would need to know if it was possible to have two touch screens though, plus I might have to mug my friendly bank manager :D

John

John, I have heard the AVIC systen is a superb unit, and certainly the system I am considering. Have a look at www.caraudiosecurity.com they have some older XIR's for just under a grand. No affiliation here btw

Geoff2 said:
John, I have heard the AVIC systen is a superb unit, and certainly the system I am considering. Have a look at www.caraudiosecurity.com they have some older XIR's for just under a grand. No affiliation here btw
Thanks very much for the excellent link.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
... The Sprinter is four years old and has just clocked up 8000 miles. It desperately needs to be used. (I don't like it standing around for months without use)
John
With your Good Lady Wife driving all the way to Lincolnshire she will probably have worn out the tyres by the time she returns. :D More expense. :devil:

PJH said:
With your Good Lady Wife driving all the way to Lincolnshire she will probably have worn out the tyres by the time she returns. :D More expense. :devil:
:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom