What SLR camera ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kay7

Car
C180k Avantgarde Sports Pack
I need some advice, please. For 2 years I've been using a decent camera Fujifilm S200. I know , its not that bad and not even close to SLRs. Used compacts all the time: Lumix 55, TZ8.
Now its time for me to get a SLR. To be honest...never had one. Looked online, read over 100 reviews. Went to Jessops, Comet and BestBuy to *touch* these cameras. Looked at :Nikon D90 , Nikon D5000, Canon 500d and Canon 550D, Canon D50.

I really don't know which one to choose. Im not a brand snob but I want something good. Any real tips, help would be appreciated. :thumb:

Lumix G1 does everything an SLR does, but also has complete idiot mode for point and shoot if that's all you need.

I'm delighted with mine, some good offers available on a dual lens package.

I bought this after moving up from Compacts. The picture quality is stunning.

For me, it would be a tough call between Nikon and Canon. I use Nikons, and work with people who have Canons. I think we are all slightly envious of the others' in some regards, so between the two, go for which one you feel most comfortable with or find easiest to use. I would say at the budget end, Nikon have the better build quality. A friend who works in a camera shop says that they get more Canons in part exchange than Nikons, which would suggest better bargains to be had in the 2nd hand market.

I've got a Nikon D90 and have no issues with it other than it isn't a D700 costing twice as much. At a recent family do it was entrusted to an 8 year old to document events on the auto setting. He managed some cracking pics.

You didn't mention a budget or what you want to photograph. The camera body is only part of the story as lenses make the biggest difference.

And then there is all the post processing software if that's your thing.

Ade

I'm a photographer and I use Canon (simply because Canon had what I wanted 'all that time ago' where no other manufacturer did). I exclusively use 1-series cameras with L lenses now.

Some very nice cameras there you mention, I can only comment on the Canon's you listed;
- The Canon 500D was replaced with the 550D at the beginning of 2010 so the 550D is the 'facelift' model.
- The 50D is above the 550D and will be faster with more tricks up its' sleeve.

It really depends what you want to do. You're new to D-SLR's so what about an entry level D1000 with a good lens (ie. better than the kit lens)? You can upgrade the body when you outgrow it - but a good lens will last for decades. The lens is THE singular most important thing, more so than the body.

A good Compact (G11 territory) will give you good pics but it's still a compact, has a smaller sensor, limited by the lens... but it fits in your pocket. It really does depend what you'll be doing.

For a full Canon timeline and where the models sit in the scheme of things;
Canon DSLR cameras
For Nikon; Nikon DSLR cameras

I likewise am also a photographer ( mainly forensic work ) at work we use Nikon kit because my boss is a Nikon fanboy , however I have used Rollei and Pentax most of my life .

Although not as high profile as the two makes you mention - do not overlook Pentax ! They were THE leading camera brand from the late 50's through the 60's and 70's then took , in the opinions of many , a wrong marketing decision to drop out of the higher end of the 35mm market to concentrate on there medium format cameras in the pro marketplace with more 'domestic' cameras in their 35mm range .

All that has changed now and , although relatively late to come to the digital market , they now have a cracking range of DSLR's with the Km and Kx at entry level , the K7 as the D300 beater and the Pro medium format 645D just released in Japan .

Pentax offer excellent value for money when viewed alongside comparable products from other manufacturers with better build quality at the entry level .

While you may start off with a body and kit lens bundled with it , the time may come when you want to add other lenses : with other makes this can involve a lot of expense as you have to buy current lenses for compatibility - but not with Pentax : they are the only DSLR maker to have retained full backwards compatibility with all their older lenses ! Every K mount lens will fit straight on any of the DSLR's and will give various levels of functionality , depending on the lens features , and even older screw mount lenses can be used with an adaptor . Pentax SMC Takumar lenses are amongst the finest available and the current range-topping Limited series are widely recognised as some of the best lenses on the planet . There are huge numbers of K mount lenses available secondhand for very reasonable prices , and because Pentax have anti-shake technology built into the camera body rather than the lenses - every lens , old or new, benefits from it .

Don't just take my word for it - read the reviews , go look in the shops . If you decide to go with another make - fine - make the decision that is best for you and not what some salesman pushes to get commission or what another photographer says to get because ' I use brand X so it must be best' .

Just look at Pentax before you decide - then get whatever seems right for YOU .

I too use a Nikon D90 and find it great. As Ade said earlier the body is only half the battle and it's the lens that are as important if not more so.

Have friends using Canon and they are thrilled with them too.

Bottom line is go to a good camera shop - hold the cameras and get to feel which feels better in your hands. I went in to get a Canon over the Nikon but came out with the Nikon..

Isn't Pentax now taken over by Panasonic?? Aren't the two camera lines pretty much the same? Not that that is a bad thing as Panasonic are a good company.

Another vote for Pentax... I've been using Pentax kit since my Canon F1 died... and have never looked back.

EDIT: Crockers - I think Pentax is part of Hoya... I do know the Samsung cameras are pretty much identical though... but I think that was a joint venture type thing...

EDIT2: From Wiki:
In 2005, Pentax Corporation partnered with Samsung Techwin to share work on camera technologies and recapture market ground from Nikon and Canon. Then Pentax and Samsung started releasing new DSLR siblings from this agreement. The Pentax *istDS2 and *istDL2 also appeared as the Samsung GX-1S and GX-1L, while the jointly developed (90% Pentax and 10% Samsung) Pentax K10D and K20D gave birth to the Samsung GX-10 and GX-20 respectively. Some Pentax lenses are also rebranded and sold as the Samsung Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenon and D-Xenogon lenses for the Samsung DSLRs. However, both brands are completely compatible with Pentax and Samsung DSLRs.

Hoya is focusing its main business on the following areas: information technology, eye care, life care, optics, imaging systems. Pentax’s main competitors include Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony (imaging/camera business), Fujifilm, Sangi, Kyocera (life care business).

Last edited:
No , Pentax are part of Hoya .

I think Panasonic bought Leica - they certainly use Leica lenses on some of their comacts . Sony , playing the same game , bought Konica Minolta to get into the camera market .

I've got a Nikon D90 and have no issues with it other than it isn't a D700 costing twice as much. At a recent family do it was entrusted to an 8 year old to document events on the auto setting. He managed some cracking pics.

You didn't mention a budget or what you want to photograph. The camera body is only part of the story as lenses make the biggest difference.

And then there is all the post processing software if that's your thing.

Ade

Thanks. Budget is around £7-800, tops £1k. Spent all night readings reviews( am i mad?! :doh:) Looked on fleabay( as some of our members named bay) and I don't really feel 100% safe to buy a used SLR camera.

Id be mainly interested in nature, sports, holidays.

Question: how important is Live view ?

Lumix G1 does everything an SLR does, but also has complete idiot mode for point and shoot if that's all you need.

I'm delighted with mine, some good offers available on a dual lens package.

I bought this after moving up from Compacts. The picture quality is stunning.

Looked at these Lumix G1. I love Panasonic stuff. Great quality and reliable.
Isn't there a new model out ? G2 or something ?
Oh man, its only £429 with 18-55 lens. Tempting...but I know Nikon and Canon are better than this. Right ? :)

I'm a photographer and I use Canon (simply because Canon had what I wanted 'all that time ago' where no other manufacturer did). I exclusively use 1-series cameras with L lenses now.

Some very nice cameras there you mention, I can only comment on the Canon's you listed;
- The Canon 500D was replaced with the 550D at the beginning of 2010 so the 550D is the 'facelift' model.
- The 50D is above the 550D and will be faster with more tricks up its' sleeve.

It really depends what you want to do. You're new to D-SLR's so what about an entry level D1000 with a good lens (ie. better than the kit lens)? You can upgrade the body when you outgrow it - but a good lens will last for decades. The lens is THE singular most important thing, more so than the body.

A good Compact (G11 territory) will give you good pics but it's still a compact, has a smaller sensor, limited by the lens... but it fits in your pocket. It really does depend what you'll be doing.

>

Thanks a lot! Canon 550d seems good. Is 50D a massive improvement to 550d ? Ermm, 550D is same class as Nikon D90 ? Correct if Im wrong .
D1000 is exactly like Nikon D3000 which i used for 2 days. Was ok , not bad for the price.

:)

I likewise am also a photographer ( mainly forensic work ) at work we use Nikon kit because my boss is a Nikon fanboy , however I have used Rollei and Pentax most of my life .

Although not as high profile as the two makes you mention - do not overlook Pentax ! They were THE leading camera brand from the late 50's through the 60's and 70's then took , in the opinions of many , a wrong marketing decision to drop out of the higher end of the 35mm market to concentrate on there medium format cameras in the pro marketplace with more 'domestic' cameras in their 35mm range .

All that has changed now and , although relatively late to come to the digital market , they now have a cracking range of DSLR's with the Km and Kx at entry level , the K7 as the D300 beater and the Pro medium format 645D just released in Japan .

Pentax offer excellent value for money when viewed alongside comparable products from other manufacturers with better build quality at the entry level .

While you may start off with a body and kit lens bundled with it , the time may come when you want to add other lenses : with other makes this can involve a lot of expense as you have to buy current lenses for compatibility - but not with Pentax : they are the only DSLR maker to have retained full backwards compatibility with all their older lenses ! Every K mount lens will fit straight on any of the DSLR's and will give various levels of functionality , depending on the lens features , and even older screw mount lenses can be used with an adaptor . Pentax SMC Takumar lenses are amongst the finest available and the current range-topping Limited series are widely recognised as some of the best lenses on the planet . There are huge numbers of K mount lenses available secondhand for very reasonable prices , and because Pentax have anti-shake technology built into the camera body rather than the lenses - every lens , old or new, benefits from it .

Don't just take my word for it - read the reviews , go look in the shops . If you decide to go with another make - fine - make the decision that is best for you and not what some salesman pushes to get commission or what another photographer says to get because ' I use brand X so it must be best' .

Just look at Pentax before you decide - then get whatever seems right for YOU .

Went to Jessops and was told that Pentax lenses have some strange issues. Cant find anything online related to this statement. Any idea why the told me that ? Brand freak ? :D

Live view CAN have its uses especially in cramped corners at awkward angles.
I'm not sure how to compare Canon to Nikon other than reading reviews in magazines. A good website with tons of info and examples is dpreview.com

I use live view when lining things up on a tripod but still use the viewfinder to "fine tune" it.

In my view its nice to have but not important...

Having been a keen amateur photographer in addition to car enthusiast for many years, now retired and with more time to play (with my Benz and my camera), I have owned numerous single lens reflex cameras over the years, including models from Pentax, Canon, and Nikon. After much thought and comparison, I recently treated myself to my latest one, a Pentax K7, because I came to the conclusion that its build quality and appearance were superior to the comparable models by Canon and Nikon, the quality of its lenses was as good (with the advantage of there being the huge number of compatible 2nd hand older Pentax lenses available economically), and to me it was more compact and easy to use, compared to the comparable Canons in particular, which I find relatively large and bulky, and not so user-friendly or "intuitive". I did try a Canon G10 for a while- very nice and well made and compact, but limited by its small sensor compared with the digital SLRs.
We all have our own personal preferences of course, but I do agree with the Pontoneer above that Pentax tends to be overlooked, probably because it is a smallish company and doesn't spend nearly as much on advertising as Canon or Nikon
Incidentally I have never, over many years, had any problem with Pentax lenses, including the modern digital range- if the bloke in Jessops was disparaging about them, I can't help wondering if they actually sell them.:(

I have a good friend who also loves his Pentax camera. He was semi pro and does also teach and lecture at meetings.

Strangely enough I'm reading PCPro (latest issue no.189) and on page 46 there's a review of the 550D. I can email it if you PM me your email address.

I rarely use live view, occassionally use it with a tripod (which I rarely use either).

Ditto the video on the D90 is a bit pointless as there is no autofocus on it..

Ade

another Nikon D90 owner here, I combined it with their 18-200mm lens.

very happy with it - I too got quite into reading the reviews about various cameras and at around the amount of money you are looking to spend it's hard to go wrong. There simply isn't a "bad" choice if you stick with the top brands.

the camera is way way better than i will ever be.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom