What SLR camera ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So im back to Canon :).

Spent 3 hours in photo shop in Central London . Am i mad ? I know the guy for few years but never had the chance to ask him about SLRs. He said Canon with 2 lenses. He showed me some tricks and explained to me in detail some really good stuff.

To make me happy, he-ll lend me a D90 for 2 days to play with it but warned i won-t like it. :) Scary already.

My wife told im mad about this SLR episode :)). I want something good.Is that illegal !?

So the list is cleared now: D90 for wife to play with and 550d for me + 2lenses( BUT: WHICH ONES ?! )

:)4.11 am
Morning ladies and gents. You must be dreaming :D

sounds like great service.

i've got a good zoom - 18-200 and it does almost everything i would ever want - the only possible addition might be a smaller lens for low light.

taking family/outdoor/holiday/sport it's great not having to swap back and forth.

Just background info on the post above about noisy high iso images from a G11; it's mainly down to the sensor size. The larger the sensor the better performance. Canon entry, mid range & prosumer cameras use APS-C format sensors (linky) which results in a 1.6 crop (or virtual magnification), Nikon sensors are 1.5x. It's only when you get to the 1 or 5 series that they use larger or full frame sensor (full frame is 35mm film size).

Being a Canon user I hate to say that I saw a friends D3x with SB900 flash the other day and it has features I wish Canon had. But in saying that they will do the same things, just that top end stuff looked a little more user friendly.

My next purchase is Canon's 1D mkIV.

Edit; forgot to mention that the 1.6x crop effectively makes any lens longer by that factor. So a 100mm lens becomes 160mm on Canon APS-C cameras.

Last edited:
So im back to Canon :).

To make me happy, he-ll lend me a D90 for 2 days to play with it but warned i won-t like it. :) Scary already.
:D

Did he say why you will hate the Nikon? I have one with the 18-200 lens and a 60 f2.8 lens. I find this covers 90% of what I want. Also found the Nikon lighter than the Canon and when you're lugging your gear around weight does become factor. But. I'm sure that whatever camera you choose you will have fun. Just get the best glass you can afford.

I'd just get the one lens to start with (unless there is a deal you can't refuse). A large zoom as mentioned would be a good coverall.

Until you start using the camera, you won't know what you want it for. I found that I was taking loads of pics of people and like images with a shallow depth of field (ie. blurry out of focus bits to backgrounds and foregrounds) so I bought an f1.8 35mm DX prime (equivalent of a 50mm lens on a full frame) and I find that it makes you think about composition more carefully as you have to move to frame a shot. Another bonus is it is small and light which makes it easier to lug the camera around.

I then bought a £65 70-300 f4-5.6G zoom which is good fun on bright sunny days provided you keep away from the extremities of either end of the zoom range and don't open it up fully.

The 18-105VR f4.5-5.6 that came with the camera only gets used as a wide angle.

Happy testing.

Ade

The 'Which Lens' question :)

It really does depend on what you are shooting and the size of your budget :) Probably the best starter lens is the EF 28-135 IS lens which although not L glass, comes with Image Stabilisation for low light work; has a very good reputation and can be bought for about £375.

My standard (good for almost anything) lens is a 28-300L. Unfortunately it is very expensive new but they do come up on eBay quite a lot because it is a 'very' heavy lens and lots can't handle it. Having said that I shoot with it 4-8 hours a day and its just a case of getting used to it.

I would also suggest you look at the F2.8 28-70L - again expensive but a very good lens for general photography and particularly good in the studio. Or if you want something longer, the F4 70-200L or its more expensive brother, the F2.8 70-200L.

Check out prices at WarehouseExpress and have a quick scoot around eBay ...... you never know.

:)

Last edited:
Did he say why you will hate the Nikon? I have one with the 18-200 lens and a 60 f2.8 lens. I find this covers 90% of what I want. Also found the Nikon lighter than the Canon and when you're lugging your gear around weight does become factor. But. I'm sure that whatever camera you choose you will have fun. Just get the best glass you can afford.

I think the *hate* bit is related to individual projects. He's using about 20 SLRs and most of them are Canon. Nikons are used with top end lenses which are not cheap. D90 looks good to me as im not really into HD recording. I just need some good lens.
Im amazed about advices and tips. I love tech stuff.
The end comes sooner than expected...:bannana:

Another thumbs up here for Nikons. I have had a D50 for some long time (bought second hand off of Ebay) and armed with my Nikon 70-300 telephoto lens have taken many happy snappies with it in many different countries. Panoramio - Photo of Normanby Island,Cairns, View to Mainland I like the feel of the D50 and the fact that it sits nice in my hand, with room for my fingers between the body and the lens, the only other Nikon model that does that is the D90 which I hankered for, but for a long time the cost was prohibitive. In March, I was in Luton airport flying to Edinburgh, when I spotted a new D90 in Dixons, body only, because the original VR lens had been stolen, up at £450. I quickly checked Ebay on the laptop, and there were second hand "D90 body only" fetching more than £450, so poor credit card took a hammering. The icing on the cake though was that there was a March Promotion and Nikon were giving a £60 cashback incentive with any new Nikon. So I got my D90 for just £390 -- result !!! ( and of course my D50 lenses fit) If you should choose the D90 then I hope you will get as much pleasure from it as I have have done from my D50 (and soon from the D90.)

Im down to 2: D90 and 550d :) . Now i need lenses. I know they come with 18-55 but i want something good.
Looked at bay but no too many around in UK.

Im down to 2: D90 and 550d :) . Now i need lenses. I know they come with 18-55 but i want something good.

I bought my D90 as a body only and then added the 18-200 VR lens....that will be a great start and cover off most of your needs if you go the Nikon route. When the original lens came out it had a waiting list now there is a new improved one.

I bought my D90 as a body only and then added the 18-200 VR lens....that will be a great start and cover off most of your needs if you go the Nikon route. When the original lens came out it had a waiting list now there is a new improved one.

Ah , good. So 18-200 VR Nikkor. Which one , to be more specific( please don't hate me )

Great. Thanks. Is that Hoya filter a must ?

Its more expensive on fleabay.:)) £600

Have a look at this page...

Nikon D5000 review: High ISO Noise results, D5000 vs D90 | Cameralabs

I think Nikon have the edge regarding noise at higher isos at the moment.
Also, can you get a D5000 cheaper than the D90?? May be worth considering.

Also, what do you want to take pics of??

I have an 18-200mm lens and also a 30mm f/1.8 and over 95% of my photos are with the 30mm prime.

I would suggest using a prime lens when learning as it really does force you to really think about what you are framing image wise.

camera box does pretty much any camera with any lens as a "kit"

here is the Nikon page....

Nikon Digital SLR D50 D70 D70s D100 D200 D1X D2X

so no need to pay out for a lens if it isn't exactly the one you want....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom