What sporty "classic" under £10k that won't devalue significantly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi,

You may remember I thought about getting an XK8, I've since wondered if I'm slightly too "young" to be driving one.

My main annoyance with cars is that you will always lose money. Therefore i like to go for cars where I think I won't lose that much money. Buying a Ford Fiesta would probably be the solution. However, I am drawn to the expensive brands!

What I would like is a car that if you put money into it, it is not wasted. If I have a service, or have the front end resprayed...I won't think "was there much point doing that, is it special enough to warrant my spending?" or "wow I'll never see that money again".

Also a car that is sporty, modern enough so that I won't constantly be concerned that it will break down, and is a nice drive.

So any ideas? Or....am I in dreamland???

Thanks

Last edited:
Lotus Elise. Great drive. Very little depreciation. Engine (if you go for K Series) is cheap as chips to keep running.

As above I'd get a series 1 Lotus Elise. If you keep the standard, the mileage low and the service history complete you won't loose too much compared to 'normal' cars. If you do want to go down the Elise route I'll happy point you in a few directions, as I'm looking for one too (hope to buy one tomorrow!). Here's my recent thread: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mb-d...670-lotus-elise-not-lotus-elise-question.html

Also, there is a 190 Cosworth for sale on this forum, which I also suspect would not depreciate too much. http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/spotted-ebay/93122-190e-2-5-16-cosworth-1990-148k-4595-a.html

Last edited:
As above I'd get a series 1 Lotus Elise. If you keep the standard, the mileage low and the service history complete you won't loose too much compared to 'normal' cars. If you do want to go down the Elise route I'll happy point you in a few directions, as I'm looking for one too (hope to buy one tomorrow!). Here's my recent thread: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mb-d...670-lotus-elise-not-lotus-elise-question.html
Thanks.

Having read your thread it sucessfully put me off buying an Elise! The cars Flanaia mentioned also don't massively appeal. The Vauxhall has the huge trouble of being a Vauxhall. The Honda and Toyota MR2 are quite girly in my eyes (and the SLK a little also...sorry!).

The Boxster is a good car and ticks boxes, but has the whole "couldn't you afford a 911". But to be honest i could work past that.

it's not that super sporty but a E320 W124 convertible with sportline suspension would just about be £10k and would hold it's value there or there abouts.

Porsche 968 (coupe, cabriolet, sport or club sport) or 944S2 (not S!!). My 968 is still worth what I was offered partex by a Porsche main dealer about 6 years ago! There's a real cracker offered on 968UK at the moment, but I think he's a bit optimistic in asking £13.7k even though it's immaculate in every way.

I would stick with the 208.

It is a car you know - no nasty surprises; which you are likely to get with a different car.

w124 convertible

very steady prices and in the right colour always wanted (blue, blue/black + mushroom)

I have to say a C class Coupe, the 04 onwards model - whilst not boy racer fast, they can shift if you need them to. I think they look classy, and I really don't see that many on the road. The facelift model has a much better interior, and everyone comments on mine despite it being nothing more than an SE. Plus with all that, you still have the fact you're driving a MB, which is why we're all here right?

I have to say a C class Coupe, the 04 onwards model - whilst not boy racer fast, they can shift if you need them to. I think they look classy, and I really don't see that many on the road. The facelift model has a much better interior, and everyone comments on mine despite it being nothing more than an SE. Plus with all that, you still have the fact you're driving a MB, which is why we're all here right?
He's looking for something that won't depreciate further after his £10k outlay.

R129 prices have just about bottomed out, I think. Solid build quality, no real rust problem.

Porsche 928.

Great car, great engine, great road presence.

There is so much choice out there, how about something different, innovate rather than imitate.
How about a W126 AMG widebody SEC, plenty of road presence & gradually increasing in value prior to the dreaded financial situation, Nah don't bother that's my dream!
A low mileage 500/560 Sec with F.s.h can be acquired for a lot less than 10k with plenty of change to throw at if you want. Take a look at Satish Tumalla's V12 sec on you tube anything is possible! Not one of the most economical vehicles around, but what the hell it's about what you want & the character of the car.
If anyone out there can recommend a decent widebody kit & supplier for my SEC I could realise my dream sooner than I thought!

R129 prices have just about bottomed out, I think. Solid build quality, no real rust problem.

Shhh.. don't tell them (we wouldnt want any old riff raff driving about in SL's now would we?) :rolleyes:

Go with the Honda

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom