What started your love for MB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dand

Car
C208 230K
What was it or what experience with an MB was it that made you become a fan and make you want to own your own MB?

Im not sure if its been posted on here before so forgive me if it has but after seeing a similar post somewhere before it got me wondering what peoples stories were on here.

For me it was when i was a little kid sitting in the back of a blue W116. We were traveling back to Manchester after a caravanning holiday on Anglesey. The car just felt so comfortable, solid, and smooth compared to other cars i had been in at that time. It sounded pretty nice too, when we went up the Sychnant Pass with the windows down i could hear the deep lazy engine note echo off the high walls and rock faces, it put a big cheesy grin on my face :D That trip was also the first time i got a wiff of that Mercedes smell all the MB's of old used to have. After that trip i knew a Mercedes would the the car for me.

The first W202 AMG I saw was the 43 back in 98 when I was 12 yrs old, I always dreamed that I'd get one but the closest I got to it was a 230K which I modified to my aesthetic pleasing...

The W202 was just so beautiful in AMG guise for me, and still is. I am one of those few who think its a timeless design and will still be around for many years to come.

My dad has had MB's my whole life , so it was only natural that i should head that way myself.

My dad had driven mercedes non stop since 1982 (on and off before then as owning a car dealers you get to pick and choose)

First real car that i love to look at was the W124 estate, but had my heart set on a E55 AMG w210 estate... loved that car! I think i will own The mercedes I own now for a very long time, only because i will keep it while i buy new cars, It isnt worth much more than say £2000 (spending alot more on it :( ) but id rather just keep it to be honest unless somebody offers me £3000 for it lol

As a kid my Dad had a newly used Black 190 2.5 cossie with full leather and all the toys, I remember thinking it was the fastest and best looking car on the road. I loved being in it and hope to restore one at some stage this year.

Certainly was not the 190 for me. My dad had one, and the back seats were the most uncomfortable tortuous devices known.

Mine was my first, a W210 E320 cdi. Twas a nice car.

My Dad usually drove Jaguar but when i was about 16 he defected to Mercedes into a 420 SEL. I loved that car, it made me feel special, and he's had a Mercedes ever since. I'm not that bothered by them. Only joking. I love them too.

It was my first job after leaving school, my boss had a mercedes when business was a bit slack he used to get me to wash the car i fell in love with mercedes the very first time i washed that car which i can remember now two tone grey E class :thumb:

I had an Audi 80 2.6 V6. Went into a Merc garage and arranged a test drive in a W202 2.0 Esprit. On way home to wife thought it was a wee bit gutless. Picked wife up and told her not to get excited. We took it for a good days run and at the end of the day we both agreed it was so much better to drive. Cruised on motorway so effortless and QUIET compared to Audi. Audi was faster but I was surprised by the Merc and ordered it.
Then the worse bit. Waiting for it to arrive. :D

When I was aged about 9-10 I had a Gullwing Micro Machine, ever since I was hooked :D

m-mbz-30-01.JPG

Dad has only ever had 4 cars of which 3 were a Mercedes. Influenced me quite a bit, as my dad had a w123 which never let him down in the 20 or so years he owned, not once!

Had a go in a C43 when they first came out and knew they were a bit 'special'. After going through a lengthy VAG and Porsche phase, I eventually arrived at AMG ownership.

I first visited my sister in the UAE (Abu Dhabi) in 1998 and my bro-in law picked me up from the airport in his new S500 with cream leather.
It seemed pure luxury after my old Ford Cosworth and the power in the S500 engine seemed effortless.
I made my mind up then I would drive a Merc one day. 3 Years later I bought the W210 E280 I still drive today. I don't intend to defect to any other marque in future.

I grew up in Nigeria where there is a Mercedes Benz in almost every house. We had three namely 190E (W201), 230E (W124), 200 (W123). They were all favourites in our household and indeed almost all my parents friends and my friends parents. So ever since I have always aspired to own a Mercedes Benz mostly because of the prestige of the name and status but now I know its just because it is a fabulous car and I LOVE IT.

My uncle in Newcastle always had big Mercs and when I was sat in the back I felt like royalty (instead of some snotty nosed eight year old).
Then he bought a 190e Evo and I was forever smitten..... The Evo is on my to-do list :thumb:

My Grandad-Many years ago he bought his and hers 190SLs for him and my Grandmother. They drove MBs since the 50's. The last MB they had before my Grandmother passed away was a sherman tank green W123 300D with cream MB tex. She offered to ship it over from the US but I was only 18 at the time and the insurance would have crippled me and it was LHD-I still regret not accepting it.

My mates dad bought a second hand 124 G reg. 300-TE.

Picked us up, the feeling of quality, comfort, and then the speed he drove us back in (that man drove at uber speed) in complete comfort I knew I'd have to have one. It was soo much better than ANY other car I had experienced.

The only thing that killed it was him, on 180k miles, which for a G reg car is very good going. He bought another.

Another good MB story was a 210 run in Maderia taxi, loved that and sat upfront watching the gunsight as he belted along at speed I barely thought possible.... MB make brilliant cars.

As an 11 year old in 1976, my father was posted to the NATO Staff College in Rome. One of his friends was a German Colonel called Rainer. At the end of the six month course we visited him in Rome and a friend of Rainer's called Karl-Heinz from Munich visited in his 280E W114. We all set off as a party to visit the Officers' beach at Ostia, a run down the autostrada. Mum and I ended up in the back of this glorious Mercedes. It was the first time I had been in a car with AC, the seat in MB Tex felt so comfortable and all encompassing. Then Karl-Heinz opened her up on the Autostrada, and we were doing 120mph! 120mph! (we had a VW camper van that was lucky to do 60mph). Silly man missed the turning, so did a U turn across the central reservation, to my mother's horror so on the way back we went in a Squadron Leader's Volvo 245 estate ( I am told he had a Fiat 500 decal on the side, to account for one that scratched his front bumper in a collision, at which point it fell to pieces).

That W114 ride was one of those Proustian remembrances.

Last edited:
My Dad always wanted a Mercedes, always said he would get one and in 1996 he did, got a W202 C180 Elegance and subsequently replaced it for a CLK230K Cabrio in 1999, so I suppose it stems from him that made me grow fond of them.

For me though I always loved the way the 300SL-24 looked, used to see a red one all the time when I was a kid and that was it, I will buy one if I find the right one, just having somewhere to store it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom