What Stereo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
Apologies in advance for ICE numptyness ......

I'm after a new stereo for the KinkyBus.

I'm specifically after an all-in-one multi-play unit - ie - the stereo itself holds more than 1 CD (like the Ford stereo which holds 6 CDs). It can be a double-din unit as I have the room to fit it.

Alternatively, I'm after something like I saw in Halfords about 2 years ago ..... it's a stereo with a detachable part, which is actually a hard-disk which you can plug into your PC and download your CDs onto it. And then you simply plug it back into the unit.

Can anyone help?

I've been googling non-stop but can find bugger all.

Many thanks in advance,

K

Have you looked down the MP3 route? For around £100 you can probably get a decent CD/Radio/MP3 unit.

I'm sure others will guide you to something more specific :)

Cheers Mad.

Regarding MP3 .... is it simply a case of burning MP3s onto a CD?

If that was the case - would a DVD disc work as you'd get thousands more tracks onto 1 CD.

Or is it a case of getting an SD/flash card (or somesuch) and using that?

K

DAB as well? Blaupunkt do a nice DAB, MP3, radio etc player - with an aux in for your ipod.. plus in for phone...

Sorry - i just like blaupunkt - the sound quality was much better than anything else I listened to.

Yeah Guy - DAB would be very nice - but not critical.

If the right unit came up I'd take it - DAB or not.

K

MP3 - I'm not clued up if stereos are capable of taking DVD's or not, but the concept definately sounds better, and in my opinion would be a lot easier that taking a hard drive out to connect to your pc. As for CD's with MP3's on them, yes you're right its as simple as loading your CD up with your fav MP'3 and voila!

Some stereos do take memory cards but its worth looking at reviews of how well they perform. Alternatively like Guy has mentioned, something with IPod connectivity would be a good solution, but depends if your podded up yet or not.. otherwise you'll need to buy that in adition to the ICE to complete the setup.

And Blaupunkts do rock! :rock:

Kinky said:
Alternatively, I'm after something like I saw in Halfords about 2 years ago ..... it's a stereo with a detachable part, which is actually a hard-disk which you can plug into your PC and download your CDs onto it. And then you simply plug it back into the unit.

Hi K - You may be referring to the Dension range of Car MP3 Players with removable hard disk. Check this Link

Not sure how good they are though. My brother bought one last year but he has already replaced it with another model so he can't have been that impressed :)

Steve

If it is a DVD-compatible unit, then it will be able to cope with MP3's burned to DVD.

They tradionally only used to come as part of a mobile video package, such as the Pioneer AVH-P5700/7500 and AVIC-X1's, and Alpine's IVA-D series.

However, more recently, some manufacturers are releasing stand alone DVD players, without monitors, such as Alpine's DVA-9860. JVC have entered this market in a big way, with at least 4 units on the market.

In theory is it can read DVD's and MP3's then yes it could work. Although from reading various threads on www.talkaudio.co.uk it seems few people get them to work with any real level of success. Often failing to read all the way through the disk.

It may be worth having a browse through the forums if you dont use it already as there is a lot of expertise on the site and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi Kinky,

In general most MP3 units will only take CD`s, Alpine have a good range of these, Alpine did used to have a 3 disc single DIN player, but is no longer availible, and didnt play MP3`s.

And, yes its just a case of burning your folders of MP3`s onto a CD.

Ive just put an Alpine unit in the other halfs Mk1 Golf convertible, and its great.

The other option you have is why not buy an ipod compatible one, Alpine also have some good packages, which take the ipod and can enable you to control it through the head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom