What the best lubricant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bostonmj

Car
SL350 but miss my SL500
I've seen a number of threads relating to lubricants for one job or another, the latest being with regard to lubricating the boot locking mechanism. The suggested solution was to use PTFE dry lube.

My question, whats the difference between Dry PTFE and Silicone PTFE lube - the RS website description for Silicone PTFE suggests it should be better for this purpose?

Also, is the a generic does it all lube - something for my locks, folding roof mechanism etc?

I've seen a number of threads relating to lubricants for one job or another, the latest being with regard to lubricating the boot locking mechanism. The suggested solution was to use PTFE dry lube.

My question, whats the difference between Dry PTFE and Silicone PTFE lube - the RS website description for Silicone PTFE suggests it should be better for this purpose?

Also, is the a generic does it all lube - something for my locks, folding roof mechanism etc?

You know what you started with this don't you?

KY Jelly is pretty good.

Boys, boys! :D

On a serious note - PTFE lubricants are often quoted as the correct product for door locks etc. I did try using it but it seems to have rather poor lubricating ability, a simple spray of WD40 seems to produce much better results. It should in my opinion be confined to use on rubber and plastic parts as protection. That's my own experience anyway.

Last edited:

Ok, Halfords do no less than 3 different lub sprayS:

3 in 1 Professional Dry Lubricant with PTFE
3 in 1 Professional Lubricant Spray with PTFE
3 in 1 Professional Silicon Spray Lubricant

PTFE is a synthetic formula providing good lubrication and corrosion protection. It looks like all of these will do the job!

In my experience for this type of application I would steer clear of silicon spray lube as it tends to 'gum up' after a while. I would use wd40 to free the mechanism and then use a light oil like 3 in 1 to lube it.

In my experience for this type of application I would steer clear of silicon spray lube as it tends to 'gum up' after a while. I would use wd40 to free the mechanism and then use a light oil like 3 in 1 to lube it.
Being ex-military but still shoot clays - the use of wd40 has always been frowned upon when cleaning guns. Cant remember why, think it left a residue perhaps caused corrosion? Howerver, this fact would perhaps, steer me away from wd40?

This Dry PTFE sounds good as it is supposed to provide good lubrication and anti-corrosion benfefits but instead of being very oil which attracts debris, it remains dry and clean - more than happy to be put straight though!

I've had the top up and down so many times this week I realy want to lubricate it with something good.

Interesting... I've never heard the use of WD40 being advocated for firearms, nor have I ever thought of actually trying it... I was always taught that you clean firearms with gun oil, and rub it as much as needed until you get all the black gunk away. You would wipe it dry before shooting (including the bore) and then re-oil it again once putting it back into storage.

It was quite good for removing carbon from the gas parts of the old SLRs! Certainly wouldnt use on my Beretta!

Other than KY Jelly, Durex have released a similar product which is excellent.

I sampled it using x1 female in the back of my Mercedes last night! ;) Excellent Stuff!! :D

Being ex-military but still shoot clays - the use of wd40 has always been frowned upon when cleaning guns. Cant remember why, think it left a residue perhaps caused corrosion? Howerver, this fact would perhaps, steer me away from wd40?

This Dry PTFE sounds good as it is supposed to provide good lubrication and anti-corrosion benfefits but instead of being very oil which attracts debris, it remains dry and clean - more than happy to be put straight though!

I've had the top up and down so many times this week I realy want to lubricate it with something good.
I'm a shootist too bostonmj :) and you are quite correct about wd40 and guns. However in this situation its perfect with the 3 in 1. I'm not saying the dry lubricant is a bad idea, it ought to work well but if the mechanism is a bit gummy I would suggest washing it through with something first. :thumb:

Krytox. The original wonder lubricant. Extremely expensive though. Main difference I have found with krytox is once it goes on, it does not come off, meaning you never have to re oil. It is hard to wipe off, especially on glass and is an absolute cracker for stopping (forever) those annoying plastic on plastic squeeks. Nothing else will last like Krytox.

Last edited:
I have found WD40 an excellent freeing agent and degreasant, however, that is also it's downfall.
It will lubricate initially, but will wash out and dissovle any grease or oil already present, and the item on which it is used will soon be as bad/worse than before.
I no longer use it as a lubricant, but prefer silicone based lubricants, as once the accellerant has evapourated, the silicone is left behind to do it's job.
Alternatively a light oil (3 in 1) is prefered.

On the other issue, baby oil over KY jelly! :bannana:

Now we are getting somewhere,

The question now seems to be Silicone or PTFE?

Questions, questions - there are just too many products out there now. Cant remember having these problems when I played with MGBs (proper ones)!

Martyn

Now we are getting somewhere,

The question now seems to be Silicone or PTFE?

Questions, questions - there are just too many products out there now. Cant remember having these problems when I played with MGBs (proper ones)!

Martyn
Took professional advice and went with the 3 in 1 Dry PTFE. My boot locking mechanism (lock barrel) now works like it should, and the opening handle no longer sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom