What the heck happened to Kleemann?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
For years, Kleemann seemed to be one of the "go-to" Mercedes tuners, but some years ago they seemed to go off the boil, and their reputation overtaken by other tuners, especially US-based tuners.

Whilst they're website is still there, and they're obviously still trading, it's remarkably difficult to find any recent articles or forum posts on Kleemann tuned cars. What the heck happened?

I'd be interested to hear more about Kleemann tuned M156 and M157 cars in particular.

Kleemann are still going strong but never had much of a UK presence in terms of decent representation by authorised dealers. If your looking for their specific tuning then I personally would not hesitate making a trip down to Denmark to their HQ.

In US they have decent representation.

Carlsson have about two official dealers in the UK but if looking for ECU remap then ECU has to be shipped off to Germany.

RennTech another big name only have a couple of UK distributors as well with the main one being Collins Bespoke Performance.

Like other tuners haven't they been well and truly AMGeed this last decade, as Mercedes have encroached into their tuning space?

In my opinion no.

All AMGs just like all other car manufacturers leave the factory in "detuned" form. There are then tuning add ons to enhance performance further by i.e. Brabus which is owned by Mercedes and thats when other top big name tuners come out to play.

For years, Kleemann seemed to be one of the "go-to" Mercedes tuners, but some years ago they seemed to go off the boil, and their reputation overtaken by other tuners, especially US-based tuners.

Whilst they're website is still there, and they're obviously still trading, it's remarkably difficult to find any recent articles or forum posts on Kleemann tuned cars. What the heck happened?

I'd be interested to hear more about Kleemann tuned M156 and M157 cars in particular.

Kleemann became big during Merc's M112 & M113 N/A era, supplying superchargers all over the world. They couldn't make enough of them at the time, shipping several a week to customers in Russia, ME and America. As the money started to flow in, the company grew in size. The branding and website were created by a famous agency. Claus Ankjaer (K's CEO) mentioned they had a dedicated accounting department just to handle all the paperwork. It's changed when Mercedes introduced their supercharger.

Export was 70% of their business back then. It's the opposite now - most customers are local. Given the size of the country and how much cars cost in Denmark, they had to lay off some staff and downsize the operation to stay in business. Things like body styling or brake kits, which gave distinct Kleemann look, were dropped off entirely.

At the time of my visit a few years ago, the M156 was in full force but there was no supercharger coming from Kleemann. 'It's an expensive platform to develop for. If the engine blows up it costs much more to replace it than back in the M113 days' was the answer. Kleemann briefly became a Weistec dealer before breaking up and eventually releasing their own version of the supercharger kit.

I suspect as with anything cutting edge, you need a strong financial backup to keep developing for each new platform that comes out. Only to be copied and outsold by everyone a few months later... Carlsson have recently sold 80% of their business to the Chinese. Brabus who is also a Mercedes dealer, has expanded to produce Smart cars. Some big tuning companies have almost but disappeared (e.g. Gemballa before it was acquired and brought back by enthusiasts).

Part of the 'problem' is cars are more powerful and capable than ever. For the majority they offer more than enough. Heck, car manufacturers seem to concentrate their efforts on introducing intermediary models that have less power, not more (43 vs 63 AMG, S vs RS Audi, etc). Personally, I think we're simply at the era of customisation and personification. Engine and performance don't matter much. Don't have to break records to sell cars. Just look at Mansory or Topcar.

PS: Too bad, there's no longer an overnight ferry that can take you to Esbjerg from Harwich like before. I would love to go again. They are a good and professional team, Kleemann.

My take on it anyway...

In my opinion no.

All AMGs just like all other car manufacturers leave the factory in "detuned" form. There are then tuning add ons to enhance performance further by i.e. Brabus which is owned by Mercedes and thats when other top big name tuners come out to play.

Brabus is owned by Mercedes? Since when?

I remember Kleeman, pity they have disappeared. Brabus I always found go a bit too far when increasing power to the point that the cars become difficult to handle.

Sorry for the confusion. Brabus Service GmbH is an official authorised Daimler AG parter. However, AMG and Brabus do jointly closely work together on engine development and are two separate independant entities.

Have any members bought a Kleemann tune for their M156 or M157 engined car?

Kleemann became big during Merc's M112 & M113 N/A era, supplying superchargers all over the world. They couldn't make enough of them at the time, shipping several a week to customers in Russia, ME and America. As the money started to flow in, the company grew in size. The branding and website were created by a famous agency. Claus Ankjaer (K's CEO) mentioned they had a dedicated accounting department just to handle all the paperwork. It's changed when Mercedes introduced their supercharger.

Export was 70% of their business back then. It's the opposite now - most customers are local. Given the size of the country and how much cars cost in Denmark, they had to lay off some staff and downsize the operation to stay in business. Things like body styling or brake kits, which gave distinct Kleemann look, were dropped off entirely.

At the time of my visit a few years ago, the M156 was in full force but there was no supercharger coming from Kleemann. 'It's an expensive platform to develop for. If the engine blows up it costs much more to replace it than back in the M113 days' was the answer. Kleemann briefly became a Weistec dealer before breaking up and eventually releasing their own version of the supercharger kit.

I suspect as with anything cutting edge, you need a strong financial backup to keep developing for each new platform that comes out. Only to be copied and outsold by everyone a few months later... Carlsson have recently sold 80% of their business to the Chinese. Brabus who is also a Mercedes dealer, has expanded to produce Smart cars. Some big tuning companies have almost but disappeared (e.g. Gemballa before it was acquired and brought back by enthusiasts).

Part of the 'problem' is cars are more powerful and capable than ever. For the majority they offer more than enough. Heck, car manufacturers seem to concentrate their efforts on introducing intermediary models that have less power, not more (43 vs 63 AMG, S vs RS Audi, etc). Personally, I think we're simply at the era of customisation and personification. Engine and performance don't matter much. Don't have to break records to sell cars. Just look at Mansory or Topcar.

PS: Too bad, there's no longer an overnight ferry that can take you to Esbjerg from Harwich like before. I would love to go again. They are a good and professional team, Kleemann.

My take on it anyway...
wow didnt know that Alex. Would be a future euro road trip there ?

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I had a Kleemann stage 1 ECU tune on my W204 C63 (done by a previous owner) but a recent service at Mercedes wiped it. Previous dyno print figure was 548.5hp.

Twice I have emailed Kleemann asking for how I could reacquire the tune but still have no reply. Very frustrating in my opinion. Basically asking to purchase from them and they are ignoring me. Not a great business strategy if you ask me.

I have since purchased the handheld unit from MSL to put the V7 tune from Eurocharged. Haven't installed it yet as I am holding out on a response from Kleemann but it looks very unlikely.

Anyone have a direct email for someone at Kleemann or do I just go ahead with the V7?

Thanks

I had a Kleemann stage 1 ECU tune on my W204 C63 (done by a previous owner) but a recent service at Mercedes wiped it. Previous dyno print figure was 548.5hp.

Twice I have emailed Kleemann asking for how I could reacquire the tune but still have no reply. Very frustrating in my opinion. Basically asking to purchase from them and they are ignoring me. Not a great business strategy if you ask me.

I have since purchased the handheld unit from MSL to put the V7 tune from Eurocharged. Haven't installed it yet as I am holding out on a response from Kleemann but it looks very unlikely.

Anyone have a direct email for someone at Kleemann or do I just go ahead with the V7?

Thanks

What email do you have? We use this one if we contact them [email protected]

Thanks

Natacha

Hey Natacha, thanks so much for the response.

I used the 'contact us' section on their website which I assumed would pick up general enquiries etc...

Will try the email you have given me and hopefully have some success.

Thanks again.

Hey Natacha, thanks so much for the response.

I used the 'contact us' section on their website which I assumed would pick up general enquiries etc...

Will try the email you have given me and hopefully have some success.

Thanks again.

the contact section/box I find a pain, we have one on our website and it sometimes sends things to spam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom