What the hell has happened in France with Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedes lover

Car
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
I just got back from France day before new year, I new the last time I went they were slowing down speeding due to the police clamping down. This time I arrived of the shuttle got on the motorway couldn't believe nearly all the people were doing about the speed limit 80mph.

So I stuck to 90mph till I thought I would fall asleep on the long straight bits of the motorway so went up to my normal speed 100mph-110mph. Went to paris ring road thought they wont have slowed that much 55mph limit almost all again sticking to it so I took advantage of the empty fast lane wnt round 80-85mph.

Anyway when I was with at dinner in france chatting away to people they informed me there are speed camera's all over france, which unlike are system where there yellow and have lines they have no lines, and are beige and flash you from the front, plus found that paris ring road had the most. What surprised me the most was the tolerence, speed limit on motorway 130kph they flash you at 136kph more harsh than ours.

On the way home looked for them on th paris ring road dont know if anyone here has seen them there massive with 4 lenses to do all the lanes plus other motorway saw them there were a camera about every 100 meters and are so difficult to see. All in all is disapointing :( because now are motorway is faster than there's as I see alot of people on ours doing 90 to 95mph. And the day Europe decides they can send us the fine in England no more driving up to 120mph. I think they must have me on camera loads of times :devil: spent most the time on motorway between 90-115mph.

Would like to here from anyone else whos been lately, to see weather they found it the same! :mad:

This is all a result of the pressure from the EU because of the road deaths in France. Up to now it hasn't really had an effect down here.
As far as I know they can already pursue law breakers from other EU states but they are unlikely to do it for normal speeding at this moment in time, it will come though.

Bob

Motard said:
This is all a result of the pressure from the EU because of the road deaths in France. Up to now it hasn't really had an effect down here.
As far as I know they can already pursue law breakers from other EU states but they are unlikely to do it for normal speeding at this moment in time, it will come though.

Bob
Hope they dont because I would probably get about 50 speeding fines.I drove from 62 calais down to 41 lamotte then upto 28 and 78 and back to 41 in a day and to 45 Orleans a few times, national into orleans is a good one limit is about 50 or 60 but can do 80to90 easy. so all in all you can see alot of fines for all the auto routes and nationals. What departement you in?

Europe can and do follow up fines.

I have been done two years ago in Belgium. The fine took two months to get to me. It was for 85mph on their Motorway. Fine equal to £90. As I go to the continent a lot I paid it.

Brian WH said:

I have been done two years ago in Belgium. The fine took two months to get to me. It was for 85mph on their Motorway. Fine equal to £90. As I go to the continent a lot I paid it.
Oh no thats not good news, I go 4 times a year. Did they send you the picture of you with the fine? Also did they send you the fine in English? :crazy:

Brian WH said:

Brian,

Probably a stupid question, but I assume you "only" get fined and no penalty points?

I understand the fines are enforcible by law in this country and *will* be enforced by bailiffs if necessary. No points however.

I sure hope that we didn't break the law too much on the recent German trip. I remember driving under some sort of camera at about 120mph! :crazy:

Brian WH said:

Were you were driving a locally registered hire car? Therefore the fine went to the hire company and then was sent to you.

I didn't think any of the main EU countries chased foreign registered cars caught by speed cameras, I've never heard of anyone being done in france, germany or italy.

Last edited:
RichardM said:
Were you were driving a locally registered hire car? Therefore the fine went to the hire company and then was sent to you.

I didn't think any of the main EU countries chased foreign registered cars caught by speed cameras, I've never heard of anyone being done in france, germany or italy.

I think the UK did a deal with France and possibly Germany about a year ago whereby they could enforce fines in either country.

It would be good idea to pass your test on the Isle of Man ;)

I think it's worse now on the other side chasing tickets than ours!

On one trip from Vuernes to Calais I was trying to get the bosses "Sintra" up to 120 mph on that lovely road. Three weeks later when I returned the car to his PA in Belguim I had 4 tickets awaiting me, nice welcome and he refused to pay!

Conversly I had an MV6 Irmcsher Omega Belgian plates and was flashed by camera on the A505 locally at an unearthly speed, nothing resulted, result.

Nowadays with the job etc, honest officer I never speed.

Cheers
Wafting Rich

Must be ideal to have your car registered to somewhere in eastern europe :)

Who's even going to waste the money chasing someone over there :)

Try driving from Austria to Hungary across that bloody border post = SCARY

richy said:
Try driving from Austria to Hungary across that bloody border post = SCARY

Tell me more, I'm planning to do that very thing on my round Europe tour later this year :eek:

Cheers
Andy

Hi,

Its all one big joke. In Italy as of 1st January 2004, the speed limit has been raised to 150 Kph (93 Mph) on 3 lane motorways!

:confused:

Yes but get caught exceeding it and you'll get crucified!

fabio1 said:
Hi,
Its all one big joke. In Italy as of 1st January 2004, the speed limit has been raised to 150 Kph (93 Mph) on 3 lane motorways!

Yes the Italians have raised the limits on the AutoStrada, everyone drove at that speed anyway. However, as a regular user of the mad Italian roads I can assure you that they DO have manned radar speed traps and if they catch you speeding your going to be in a world of Pooh! Can't pay the fine on the spot? Go straight to jail!

Speeding in Europe… its going to get worse!

The EU Parliament (with the Egging on our our beloved Government) is planning to bring in EU wide standard Driving Permits and fines/endorsement will be applicable were ever they are picked up… Article from Auto Express:

"Europe-wide Licences To Make A Point
Get stopped for speeding abroad and the fine and penalty points could appear on your licence here. That's one possible outcome following news that there is to be a new Europe-wide driving permit.

Plans are afoot for authorities in all 15 current EU member states to issue a standardised licence similar to the UK's photo ID. Transport officials say such a permit would replace the 80 kinds in use across the Continent, and should cut down on fraud, as well as harmonising driving restrictions on non-national licence holders.

But this leaves the door open for bringing endorsements into line. A single licence could make offences in one state applicable in another, and count towards an overall 'totting up'. However, a Department for Transport spokesman said that any change wasn't imminent. "The approval process is very long," he told us.

Meanwhile, UK drivers face Continental-style on-the-spot cash speeding fines. This is being considered to stop foreigners evading penalties."

Speeding in France… my brother lives over there and the President in a state speech has described the 8000+ people killed on French roads as "a national disgrace" and has instituted a national crackdown on speeding and bad driving. They are being very hardcore about it as it is now 'National Policy'.

At the moment, as far as I know most countries don't use Gatso so no problem. Instead they use manned radar traps. Its on the spot fines with the risk of impounded car/licence or a trip to the cop shop if you can't pay.

If you speed in a hire car in Europe, the fine will probably follow you home. The Germans (especially them, as they have a lot of UK forces driving on British Plates), Belgians, Dutch and the French (since the Government announced a crackdown) can chase you for the fines from Cameras, but usually only if you have been very naughty such as blatting through a dozen cameras on the trot or going Very fast.

In Germany most camera are in towns and on red lights and they have a zero tolerance to jumping red lights and speeding in towns. Also the Germans can and sometimes do confiscate your licence if your an Aüslander who makes a habit of speeding in Germany (they keep all motoring fines, including foreigners, on computer). Another thing to watch for in Germany is that whilst there may be no speed limit on a stretch of Autobahn, if your involved in an accident and were exceeding the 130kph advisory limit they can do you! Also don't run out of petrol on an Autobahn… on-the-spot fine!

Alas, the 'Glory Days' of tearing around Europe on our UK plates seem to be drawing to a close… still it was good while it lasted!

Last edited:
mercedes lover said:
Oh no thats not good news, I go 4 times a year. Did they send you the picture of you with the fine? Also did they send you the fine in English? :crazy:

Sorry for late reply, out celebrating a late New Year with a mate. :D

To answer the two or three questions.

No picture, fine in Belgium, no points, and it was my own car. :crazy:

I'm in trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom