What the hell is this and what does it do ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Excuse my crappy drawing. Its inside the front door on a W202 between the central locking and door handle. Whatever it is its scratched the fook out of my window. Whilst trying to bend it away from the glass (not being able to see anything) it appears to have pinged off somewhere but the scratching has stopped and there doesnt seem to be any problems with the window mech, central locking mech and door handle mech. Its seems a rather substantial thing to do nothing - 3 plus inches ???

any ideas ??

v8kb.jpg

Is it to stop door lock jimmying by use of a flat jimmy?

Could you draw a coin beside it to give an idea of size?

Dec

cheers, that could be it as when I bent it away from the glass I couldnt get the exterior door handle back on

Could it just be the handle return spring, or is that working OK without it?

My guess its some form of return/tensioning spring for the lock mechanism- perhaps the return spring for the door lock release handle?? Is the door handle " flappy"?----- it won't flap that much as its attached to the lock by an operating lever. My guess its slipped out or broken at some point and fallen down to be trapped between window edge and door. It's now fallen down to the bottom of the door where it wont interfere with anything.

this bit MAYBE?

$(KGrHqNHJFYE88fNMCSIBPZPQP!28Q~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
My money is on Grober's explanation - stops the exterior door handle from rattling i.e. removes any excess play.

well as it turns out it is a spring to pull the exterior handle back in. The system actually has 2 sets of springs which is why I noticed no difference - one dedicated one (the one that popped out) and further springs in the actual latch mechanism

fortunately my new handles that arrived today had the springs and mounts included which was a unexpected bonus. As it turns out my original mounts on both the driver and passenger side were very worn and although the W210 replacements were of a different design I managed to make them fit with a bit of twiddling

this is the part:

iyrv.jpg

a pic of the facelift W210 handles all fitted to my prefacelift W202

uwlv.jpg

Now I know what is causing the scratching noise on my window as it goes down.

Any idea what these are ? ;)

Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom