What the hell was that 😃

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badgx

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes e55
😃
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe he's just a tit showing off

332 kph is 206 mph ... that's pretty crazy for a big estate car on public roads.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not sure I would describe Harry Metcalf as a tit, but like his camera assistant (1:40) I would not care to be in the passenger seat!

Last edited:
Shit happens...
Debris on the road would be my fear. (Assuming the road is clear of traffic that could pull out and the car is in fine fettle). Fastest I’ve gone is just over 150 in Germany and it amazed me the difference just between say 120 and 150 in terms of holding a line, so hate to think what 200 is like.

I guess it also depends on the car. 200 in a car designed to do well over 200 is probably quite different from a car maxed out at 200?

Shit could happen at any speed with the same outcome

It could, but I think the consequences of shit happening at 200 as opposed to say 80 are probably quite different in most cases. Possibly a more guaranteed, messier and quicker end at 200 I would think!

Not sure I understand what you mean here - the consequences for (say) hitting a de-laminated tyre left in the road at ~200 mph are going to be exponentially worse than the same thing happening at 100mph, kinetic energy at ~200mph is 8 Mega Joules*, at 100mph it's 2 MJ - notice that the energy embodied in the cars mass does not scale in a linear relationship to the speed.

What does that mean? In simple terms a car travelling at 200mph contains four times the energy than one travelling at 100mph, rather than twice the energy.

So the speed at which an event occurs is a huge factor, and that's before we look at reaction time, impact of aerodynamics on car reaction to drivers inputs and so on.

*Assuming the car weighs 2,000kg

Mmmmm, am I missing something here ?
The car is capable of over 200 mph, the driver is confident in he’s ability, the weather conditions looked good and a near empty stretch of no restrictions tarmac, every drivers perfect day ??
Why do we own these high performance vehicles if not to when the situation arises give them a darn good thrashing, wether it be on road or track.
If we continually risk assess every action we would not get out of bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom