What the law says.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonyw

Banned
Will I be stopped and fined for overloading a 2.4 metre piece of fencing wood out of the offside rear window of a W211, the other end at the footwell of the front passenger?

2.4 metres... you should be able to fit the whole thing inside the car.

The police probably have a true Smörgåsbord of road traffic offences any one or more of which they might chose to charge you with.:rolleyes: Once charged with an offence and brought to court it would be up to you to prove otherwise. Is it worth the [worst case] risk of a hefty fine or 3 points on your licence?:doh:

Yeah but its only 2.4 meters which I know for a fact would fit inside my W124CE with all the windows closed.

Should be no problem in a 211.

I would think that the police have much more important things to worry about especially when we see them ignoring all sorts of home grown DIY transportation solutions outside our local B&Q :)

Do you have a sunroof?

lol reminds me of the time i purchaed a large IKEA "New York" print and only realised I had come in a W124 cabrio when i got to the car park... that was fun...

I would think that the police have much more important things to worry about especially when we see them ignoring all sorts of home grown DIY transportation solutions outside our local B&Q :)

Do you have a sunroof?

Got rid of my R170 last November due to the hefty road tax this coming April.

I didn't measure whether it will fit inside with the window closed, I shall do that.

I remember in one of these police TV program a rear open top transit was weighted overloaded, compounded and fined £3,000 and 3 point on the licence.

Thanks for those who responded, just have to treaded with care.

You won't be overloaded - a 2.4m piece of wood will weigh less than the passenger(s) it replaces. However, the highway code does state that loads should be secured and should not stick out dangerously. The latter is a judgement call - if it sticks out of the window by a few inches and is still within the overall width of the car, you may have an argument, especially if you wrap it so that the hard edges are protected. But if it sticks out a couple of feet it looks like potential trouble.

Stick it out the sun roof and avoid any low bridges:D:D

Really? I thought it was capped at band K (currently £245) for all cars registered prior to 23 March 2006?

I thought it got until April 2011 then it jumps up to £400, honeymoon from Darling over.

Why not have a bit of fun and stick it through your n/s/f window, pointing forwards?

:D

noscaredhands-1.gif
12-3.gif

At 2.4 metres, it would almost fit across the cabin, with only a small amount poking out of each window. The front would be best, you could then lash the protruding parts directly to the wing mirrors - it may even tuck in front of the steering wheel if you extend that fully towards you.

I am confused, some said it OK, some said not.

Roof rack is another option but then I have to dosh out of pocket.

The purpose of this thread is asking whether anyone had been stopped and fined by the police.

Why wood comes in 2.4 metres or 4.4 and not 2 metres or 4 metres?
Another Brussel bureaucratic?

At 2.4 metres, it would almost fit across the cabin, with only a small amount poking out of each window. The front would be best, you could then lash the protruding parts directly to the wing mirrors - it may even tuck in front of the steering wheel if you extend that fully towards you.

2.4metres is 8 feet in old money, do you really think you could fit it across the cabin?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom