What the law says.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am confused, some said it OK, some said not.

Roof rack is another option but then I have to dosh out of pocket.

The purpose of this thread is asking whether anyone had been stopped and fined by the police.

Why wood comes in 2.4 metres or 4.4 and not 2 metres or 4 metres?
Another Brussel bureaucratic?

In a modern house the standard ceiling height is 8 feet (2.4 metres) and thus for framing etc this is the perfect length. A garden fence is 2 metres high and .4m in the ground. With a fencing plank you can place a post every 4 feet and use a 2.4 metre plank per 3 posts.

I doubt it will fit inside the car as has been said. Even in my car it would just fit.

Last edited:
In a modern house the standard ceiling height is 8 feet (2.4 metres) and thus for framing etc this is the perfect length. A garden fence if 2 metres high and .4m in the ground. With a fencing plank you can place a post every 4 feet and use a 2.4 metre plank per 3 posts.

I doubt it will fit inside the car as has been said. Even in my car it would just fit.

I believe the floor to ceiling height of a modern house is more to do with the standard size of plasterboard (2.4x1.2m or 8'x4') sheet than anything else - which came first I've no idea - its too low in my book in any case...

From memory, the highest you can normally build on a boundary is 2m - although there are exceptions under permitted development rules.

Ade

I believe the floor to ceiling height of a modern house is more to do with the standard size of plasterboard (2.4x1.2m or 8'x4') sheet than anything else - which came first I've no idea - its too low in my book in any case...

From memory, the highest you can normally build on a boundary is 2m - although there are exceptions under permitted development rules.

Ade

Without planning permission and so long as it does not bound a road then 2m is the max height. If it bounds the road then 1m without permission.

As for the plaster board, doesn't it sit on framing 2.4 metres high? Yes it's too low, my ceilings are 11' downstairs and 11'3" upstairs. My sister in law showed me the plans for her new house. The architect had drawn a kitchen 40' long and 20' wide with an 8' ceiling. Couldn't believe it. Anyway, they got it changed to 9', which is still too low in my estimation.

Last edited:
if you flatten the passenger seat and open the rear offside window and feed the timber through diagonally it won't stick out very far at all - is it legal? - probably not but as I said earlier, the police never seem to bother anybody leaving our local retail park which has two DIY stores. Cars leave with all sorts of strange loads.

If you are seriously worried about it just get the timber yard to deliver

if you flatten the passenger seat and open the rear offside window and feed the timber through diagonally it won't stick out very far at all - is it legal? - probably not but as I said earlier, the police never seem to bother anybody leaving our local retail park which has two DIY stores. Cars leave with all sorts of strange loads.

If you are seriously worried about it just get the timber yard to deliver

There is no ski hatch, the back seat is one complete unit and no access to the booth like a Mondeo hatchback, with a board blocking rear access.

Can't remember Merc ever sell a car like a 5 door hatchback. Maybe the A-class is the hatchback. Hatchback is outdated now, I was told there is no market for it but for urban car like Qashqai. Again Merc have no equivalent other than ML.

There is no ski hatch, the back seat is one complete unit and no access to the booth like a Mondeo hatchback, with a board blocking rear access.

Can't remember Merc ever sell a car like a 5 door hatchback. Maybe the A-class is the hatchback. Hatchback is outdated now, I was told there is no market for it but for urban car like Qashqai. Again Merc have no equivalent other than ML.

Most saloons have the option of split folding rear seats, which would give you the length required.

The metre (or meter), symbol m, is the base unit of length in the International System of Units (SI). Originally intended to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the Earth's equator to the North Pole, its definition has been periodically refined to reflect growing knowledge of metrology. Since 1983, it is defined as the distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second. However I would caution against introducing this in any discussions with the occupants of any traffic car which happens to stop you while carrying the aforesaid wooden item---unless you want to spend a night in the cells of course.;)

The metre (or meter), symbol m, is the base unit of length in the International System of Units (SI). Originally intended to be one ten-millionth of the distance from the Earth's equator to the North Pole, its definition has been periodically refined to reflect growing knowledge of metrology. Since 1983, it is defined as the distance travelled by light in vacuum in 1⁄299,792,458 of a second. However I would caution against introducing this in any discussions with the occupants of any traffic car which happens to stop you while carrying the aforesaid wooden item---unless you want to spend a night in the cells of course.;)

:D I can just see that conversation now. Hilarious.

Th B Class is the closest they've come to a conventional 5-door hatchback. Then there's the MLK as a sort-of Qashqai rival, although it's not sold here and, if it were, I suspect the two cars would not be competing on price.

In a modern house the standard ceiling height is 8 feet (2.4 metres) and thus for framing etc this is the perfect length. A garden fence is 2 metres high and .4m in the ground. With a fencing plank you can place a post every 4 feet and use a 2.4 metre plank per 3 posts.

The three side beams are 2 metres. Can't even get its triangle in cross-section anywhere, tried Jewson and B&Q.

The last time the wind blew down the fence in 2004, I bought some 4.4 metres. Saw it for 2metres, leaving the 1.4 too short for the 2 metres. Only the one side is slanted.

If said piece of wood is protruding out of the offside rear window by only a few inches , such that it is away from the nearside and presents no danger to pedestrians , I doubt that any offence is taking place .

If you want to cover yourself against claims from cyclists or motorcyclists who may pass close by your offside ( they are supposed to give sufficient clearance for a door to open ) you can make the protrusion conspicuous by tying the likes of a high visibility jacket or a warning triangle onto it in such a way that no reasonable person could fail to see it .

There are prescribed distances that a load may project out of the back of a van or lorry both with and without markers , although I would have to look it up it is more than a metre . There are also regulations for items like towing mirrors and how much wider they can be than the widest part of the outfit .

I don't think you need to worry about something projecting 'slightly' out of your vehicle as long as it is secure and does not present a danger to other road users .

As has been said already , I think there is a good chance something 2.4 metres long might fit completely inside anyway .

:crazy: Did it happened to you?

OK. Done it. Took an 8 foot plank and it will fit from the passenger footwell, between front seats, to rear seat headrest on driver side.

End of speculation and surmise.

I cannot believe this thread has been going on for nearly twelve hours.

It's only a piece of wood ffs. Most people are saying it may fit inside the car without sticking out of the window. Would it not be easy to go and measure it? And, how long is the trip home from buying the wood?

After all said, I still think it is a very interesting subject - along the same lines as watching grass grow!

Your input is much valued, if a little late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom