What the "W" are you talking about?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flowrider

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
Am I the only person frustrated when someone posts about their car by its "W" number rather than stating what the car model is? I see so many threads that make interesting reading but I have no clue what car they are talking about. :doh:

Some models span the ranges ...

For example , there's been an E320 in w124 , w210 , w211 and maybe ( not sure ) w212 guise.

So it's helpful to know which one people are talking about , as they aren't all made the same.

Ditto David. Maybe a stickie cheat sheet for us non purists. Or just say a 2012 S Class etc.

It's because if I say I have a C class, you don't know which model I'm talking about.

I'd be envious of someone with a W205 C Class, as mine is the previous generation W204. S204 is the estate version (stationwagon?) of mine.

I'm more frustrated when someone doesn't mention that, as you're left clueless...

Am I the only person frustrated when someone posts about their car by its "W" number rather than stating what the car model is? I see so many threads that make interesting reading but I have no clue what car they are talking about. :doh:

You've been a member for three years...and only now you ask.:doh:

The ML320cdi was only available as w164, so no problem there, but as Howard said it's not simple with other models.

Last edited:
You've been a member for three years...and only now you ask.:doh:

The ML320cdi was only available as w164, so no problem there, but as Howard said it's not simple with other models.

Thank you for your useful and inciteful reply. I raised it as a discussion, this is after all a forum.:thumb:

I think it would be better for everyone if when someone posts about their car they call it something like ML320CDI (W164) or C200 (W204) or some such. That way everyone knows what is being discussed without having to keep looking up numbers in a table.

Not sure I follow.

CLK (W209) is not a wagon or a saloon..? :dk:

No which is why it's either a C (coupe) or A (cabriole)

Most often the W prefix is used for all/any body style as users are not aware of the different prefixes..

I think it would be better for everyone if when someone posts about their car they call it something like ML320CDI (W164) or C200 (W204) or some such. That way everyone knows what is being discussed without having to keep looking up numbers in a table.

My take on it is this. It's a specific car manufacturers forum where it's generally accepted forum members are car enthusiasts of one sort or another. Therefore, surely it's not beyond reasoning that they know the correct model designation of their car/cars? And, if one is interested in a different model and is unsure which model code it is, it's very easy to find out.

I had & have W201's, W124, W202's & W210. I wasn't born knowing which was which. There's been several posts where just say, C200 has been the in the title and no reference made to model designation, I for one have lost complete interest in the poster's thread there & then. As they say 'the more you put the more you get back out'.

I find it frustrating when someone asks questions like "I've got a C220, why don't I have a handbrake?" etc etc. There's a possibility it could be either a W202, W203 or a W204 and knowing this will help people to answer their queries.

I am new to Mercedes ownership, but I encountered these numbers as soon as I went to buy a car cover for my SLK (R171) because obviously they are slightly different shapes, so I guess it is important to know these codes to make sure you get the right bits and accessories for your car :)

I agree that listing both the badge and the code would be helpful. But, if I'm sufficiently interested in what's being discussed that I want to know which car it is - I just Google the Wcode. Quickest way.

Thank you for your useful and inciteful reply. I raised it as a discussion, this is after all a forum.:thumb:

I think if everyone does it one way then maybe you are the one who should stop being lazy ...and find out what's what...it is, after all, a forum for MB owners/enthusiasts.

It's not a Mercedes-specific thing. Other manufacturers retain model naming across different generations of a car too e.g. an Audi A4 may be a B5, B6, B7 or B8 version. The BMW 3-Series saloon is even worse - E21, E30, E36, E46, E90 or F30!

'Enthusiasts' (such as you encounter in an owners club or forum) do tend to refer to them by that model number because it isn't ambiguous.

I agree that listing both the badge and the code would be helpful. But, if I'm sufficiently interested in what's being discussed that I want to know which car it is - I just Google the Wcode. Quickest way.

Or have it as part of your sig...so we know exactly what is being discussed. What do you drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom