What time did you hear the sonic boom ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Tuesday 12th January 2021 A sonic boom was heard in many parts of the UK as RAF jets chased down a civilian aircraft.

What I found intriguing is the different times people reported hearing it (also funny is a bloke in London E12 heard it and asked on social media 'did anyone else hear that ..!!? :D ) I now know that with the weather conditions yesterday this aircraft will 'boom' at around 760 mph and can get to aver 1000 mph from standstill in 2.5 minutes.

Please , no joke's about the 'speed of sound etc' I got those covered ,but some of the reports are hours apart and make no sense to me when I compare them to the time we at home (and our neighbours) heard/felt it.

Tuesday 12th January 2021 A sonic boom was heard in many parts of the UK as RAF jets chased down a civilian aircraft.

What I found intriguing is the different times people reported hearing it (also funny is a bloke in London E12 heard it and asked on social media 'did anyone else hear that ..!!? :D ) I now know that with the weather conditions yesterday this aircraft will 'boom' at around 760 mph and can get to aver 1000 mph from standstill in 2.5 minutes.

Please , no joke's about the 'speed of sound etc' I got those covered ,but some of the reports are hours apart and make no sense to me when I compare them to the time we at home (and our neighbours) heard/felt it.
Wife heard it from her desk in north London but daughter didn’t.
Loved the clip of film on Facebook though. 30 seconds of ads then a quick bang. 😏

13:06 pm - it went directly over, I could see the plane (just about) with its vapour trail.

Never heard a Sonic boom before, the windows in my house rattled and a car alarm went off. I legged it outside as I assumed it was a Gas explosion somewhere.

Far louded than anything I have experienced before, you could feel it.

Everyone along its flight path will hear the boom at different times, its not just one boom, its a continuous boom if you like riding on a wave as it flies.

What time was that ?
Currently two aircraft over North Sea off the coast fro Hull doing loops at up to 32,000 ft and maxing out at 804mph on Flight tracker app, AWAC aircraft over Northumberland, two USAF Stratotankers and two Voygers from Brize Norton. Looks like a lot of training. 14:36 13/01/21

Currently two aircraft over North Sea off the coast fro Hull doing loops at up to 32,000 ft and maxing out at 804mph on Flight tracker app, AWAC aircraft over Northumberland, two USAF Stratotankers and two Voygers from Brize Norton. Looks like a lot of training. 14:36 13/01/21
The grey RAF Nato31 Boeing E-3 Sentry is over the NE coast often.

Were RAF chasing civilian aircraft as a training exercise?

Yesterday that part of the sky was teeming with Cobham Aviation Services Dassault Falcons. Maybe they have to spend all the training budget before the end of the month......

Does no one read the news ? or was it fake news 🤷‍♂️ ? A civilian jet inbound from Germany was not answering calls on Tuesday night and two jets were scrambled from RAF Coningsby to intercept it.

It was not a drill or a training exercise over Northumberland, or anywhere else for that matter. Military aircraft are not authorised to break the sound barrier over land in the UK unless in an emergency.

I will repeat the question. and amend it a bit ..."IF you heard a sonic boom on Tuesday , what time did you hear it ? " The timing is curious as all of the reports I have seen contradict each other and are miles (in both distance and time) from when we heard it. If you did not hear/feel it, fine.

Does no one read the news ? or was it fake news 🤷‍♂️ ? A civilian jet inbound from Germany was not answering calls on Tuesday night and two jets were scrambled from RAF Coningsby to intercept it.

It was not a drill or a training exercise over Northumberland, or anywhere else for that matter. Military aircraft are not authorised to break the sound barrier over land in the UK unless in an emergency.

I will repeat the question. and amend it a bit ..."IF you heard a sonic boom on Tuesday , what time did you hear it ? " The timing is curious as all of the reports I have seen contradict each other and are miles (in both distance and time) from when we heard it. If you did not hear/feel it, fine.

It wasnt at night.

The timing of the boom depends upon when the plane passes you, there wasnt just 1 boom for across the country the same time as I previously mentioned.

The moment someone in say Peterborough heard the boom is different from when I heard it in Cambridge.

That's why I posted the question . We all heard and felt it at 20:30 H . We went outside , our neighbours did the same. Our experience was nothing like that reported on the news. I am no expert on sonic booms but I do know they do not take 6 hours to cover 150 miles. It's why I posted , I checked out the news the next morning to see reports all quoting daylight at the time of the boom. Exact opposite of what we all heard and felt. I guess we will never know.

I didn't hear this one but heard two in quick succession a few years ago, a very distinctive sound (I thought I must have been near a quarry that was blasting). Turned out to be two jets intercepting a helicopter that had taken off from a racecourse and was squarking incorrectly. It was in the press later that the helicopter pilot had complained about being dangerously "Buzzed" by the fighters; I don't suppose they had an option as they would not have been able to fly slow enough to come alongside and give him a wave!

13.05 here at Chez Wighty , we thought a very large pigeon had hit the patio doors :eek:

It';s a very distinctive double bang, not a single sound. Anyone who heard only one bang did not hear a sonic boom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom