What to buy instead of a 320clk cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm... Maybe a really nice 200 petrol would better suit my needs and pocket lol Thats after months of thinking and deciding I want a 320cdi! lol Guess also though I will have much more choice looking for a petrol 200 too.

Guess I wanted to go the diesel route after years and years of constantly filling up my 523i bmw! But if I can average 30's on mpg in a 200 clk that will feel better lol

This site and you guys are a great help and source of info :) Cant beat it :)

Always the case! lol... It does sound like it would be, you can afford to pick and choose more till the perfect one crops up with lower miles than you were originally thinking too and more spec prob. 30's would be good.. similar performance (0-60 etc) to the 523i too. of normal round town driving with perhaps a little big of motorway i only get 250miles to the tank of my 208 230k. :(

Whats that in mpg on yours? I only used to get 23mpg out of my 5series but it was a heavy car. Its says 35mpg mixed on the 200 and if i got that id be very happy! but certainly performance wise as advised Im now looking for an auto kompressor. As long as the car has a service history to be honest Im happy if it has done 60/75,000 miles. Im sure the engines are pretty good?

Have you thought of looking at auction cars. Mercedes quite regularly sell ex- lease cars via Manheims and if you know what to look for huge savings can be made over dealer prices and you can get a very nice car. It would be worth a look.

yeah that engine on 70k and services properly is absolutely fine Alex. Nick(Shude) had over 200,000 on his 230k engine :).
The computer most of the time at fill up says the tank average of about 21mpg but i dont always 'potter' as the engine mods are too much fun sometimes! The 208 230K weighs 1440kg if i recall, so probably lighter than your 5 series by quite a bit. Like David said too the 209 200K engines are loads more refined than the ones of past.

I had only looked at British Car Auctions (Enfield) and Aston Barclay Chelmsford as I know Aston have Mercs but mostly very new models. But will certainly look at Manheims now too as Colchester is only an hour from me :) Thank you.

i have the 150 bhp 220 cdi engine in my C220cdi. cant knock it really. It is remapped though which makes a HUGE difference!

short trips to work (11 miles) I get 36mpg and on a run 43mpg...

I test drove a normal 220cdi and found the engine was really noisy. I just assumed it was the same with the clk? 36 & 43mpg is really good.

I liked the 320cdi clk as I thought even though I mostly just do short trips, when I do want to go out for a "fun" drive it would be brill. And I know from all I have read that its mid range power you use like in overtaking is brill!

However, as Im going to struggle to get a really good one and fairly quickly (I have been looking every day for 10weeks) for a maximum of £8k, all the info from others really means a 200clk petrol, auto compressor might suit me better as I will have more choice for my budget. Also still get 30/35mpg.

The 220cdi Im not convinced about. So far not really had any great feedback apart from its amazing mpg. Putting the 220cdi next to the 200 compressor I think the 200 would come out as favorite

As for the 500 I think it will just drink petrol! lol

You know all of these 320 CDI's that you see that are just above your budget, have you phoned the sellers to see if they're open to offers? What's the worse they can say?

Your heart seems set on the V6 CDi and if it was me, I'd just have to get one somehow.

Try not to lose the faith in your search because you're now coming to the time when, historically, cars aren't shifting so easy with Christmas around the corner.

I have seen that cars are not selling but decided to keep an eye out on both 320's and 200's

All be it I still wonder if the regular short journeys I do would not be suited to the 320 and that the 200 would be far better. Be good If another 320cdi clk driver could put a little light on the subject

Ours does the school run and shopping. School run is rural - round trip of around 15 miles on 75 NSL. Average 37mpg. WHen I do use it for work which is mostly long journeys can go up to 45 or even over.

Does not seem to suffer in the work that it does.

Go look at one, and if you like it offer 8k there and then. Then just remain quiet until seller talks. He will try to meet you but then just say sorry 8k is all I have. If they want to move it they may say yes. If they don't move on. Someone will.

I have both the 320cdi and 200 petrol on my search list now. Maybe I will see which comes up first with the exact spec I want, as minimum Im after Iridium Silver, with black leather, electric seats and Parktronic. I saw a 220cdi sports for sale on a 07 plate but think Id only consider it because Im getting fed up looking and its mpg is really good, not because I prefer the engine to the other two.

I get 32 mpg in my 320 cdi, thats short urban journeys. On a motorway trip 38-40mpg. For short journeys i would go with petrol, subject to road tax issues for emissions.

Yes my issue is i do either 3/5mile trips daily or 80mile weekend trips.
I think the 320cdi would be fun and if I get over 30mpg on either short or long trips will be happy.

The other part of me thinks the 200 Kompressor would be much better as you say on the 3/5mile trips.

All be it the road tax is more on the 200 Kompressor than the 320cdi.

Will the 200 be as fun to drive? I think from the figures the 200 will also do 30+mpg on short runs

Our 200K does around 33mpg in general use, 28mpg on my 4 mile run to work, up to 42mpg on a motorway run - all according to the computer.
Iridium with black leather and parktronic should be easy enough to find on a 200K. Full electric memory seats more difficult. Ours does have them but I think few 200Ks had them .

Mines fun, loads of torque makes it that way, instant no fuss response. Its not what i would say is a quick car though, the auto box is fair enough but the with all that torque and max power at around 2500 rpm the kick down seems a bit wrong.

Go and drive a few of them and see what you think.

PS mine has been remapped, makes a difference, no major increase (not like my 1.9tdi golf)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom