What to check for on a 2000 'W' C220 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

Car
W210 320CDI
Hello again all, I've been away for a while enjoying (?) £35 a year road tax motoring in my Mk4 Astra, but try as I might I am missing the Merc. Since changing jobs I'm doing more miles and so I think I'd like to buy at the depreciated end of the market, but still something that's comfortable to be in for hours at a time and fairly economical.

Quite by chance a garage I pass on my way to work has a C220 CDI on the forecourt on a W plate. If I remember correctly from tracking the specs when I owned a much older C even the Classic model had air conditioning, but what I can't remember is when the engines got their upgrades, and when the 5 speed transmission came in.

My last Mercedes (sold about 3 years ago) was a 2001 E220CDI which had the 5 speed auto box and (iirc) about 140bhp with a fair hill of torque under the bonnet.

Can anyone point me towards a list of things to look for when viewing one of these and let me know whether the 2000 model year got the same engine as my old E Class? Are there any common faults, particular places to look for corrosion etc?

The car has 111k miles with history, and appears to have 8 services stamped up. I wouldn't necessarily choose a Classic but guess this compares fairly well with the C250 Elegance I owned about 10 years ago. If it's solid and in good condition I'd have to consider it at it's screen price of £2,700.

Has anyone got any advice out there for me?

Cheers,

Ian.

Although reference to W210 on this thread the check EVERYTHING works plan is important IMHO.

Thanks, it sounds like there's nothing specific to look out for, so I'm guessing that the rust is mostly confined to visible areas.

I might swing by the garage and give the car the once over tomorrow, see if I think I can live without the (rather nice) chrome and colour coded bits. I'll probably end up doing what I usually do, set myself a budget of £3k, then spend £10k because the end result was nicer. ;)

Cheers,

Ian.

Rust may not yet be visible, but look under the rear wheel arches. Take a small mirror with you. All Mercedes models from around 2000, plus or minus a few years are prone to rust. It may have been repaired, but will probably come back.

Is it a W202 or W203 (year 2000 models could be either, but I think W-reg is more likely to be W202). W202 models were 120bhp, W203 were 143bhp.

If it is a W203, you may have a Valeo radiator, which can cause very expensive gearbox issues if it leaks coolant into the torque convertor. (Search for Valeo and gylcol on the forum).

I have a Classic, it has enough features for me (less fancy bits to go wrong).

Good luck.

The W202 is a really solid car, I miss mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom