What to choose 210 or 211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vladjok

Car
Mercedes 212 300 disel
Good day. An acquaintance sells his Mercedes W211 3.0 diesel, station wagon of 2007, good condition. I don't know, I'm very hesitant, a lot of negative reviews about OM 642 engines say that it's better to buy a Mercedes 211 before 2006 with an OM 648 DE 32 LA (320 CDI) engine. What is your opinion on this. Thank you.

The older engine is noisier, less powerful, with better economy but worse emissions, but very strong and likely to be more reliable. Reliability problems with the OM642 usually relate to all the emissions equipment it has.

The older engine is noisier, less powerful, with better economy but worse emissions, but very strong and likely to be more reliable. Reliability problems with the OM642 usually relate to all the emissions equipment it has.
This covers all aspects really.

The only difference i can see on paper between the om613 used in the w210 320 cdi and the om648 used in the w211 320cdi is the latter uses a variable nozzle turbo.
Stick to your w210 270cdi's om612 5 pot engine if i was you @Vladjok if you want dependability. Good enough for the legendary Sprinter 316 / 416 cdi is hard to beat imho.

Good morning, that is, in-line old diesel engines are still more reliable.

Good morning, that is, in-line old diesel engines are still more reliable.
yes but owners tend to hang on to them for that reason-till very high mileages are on the odometer- and they do eventually wear out as all engines do

Bare in mind that W210s are small by todays standards, smaller than a W205.

With the 211 it basically comes down to what you want to be chasing down - drivetrain repairs or rust.

What’s a facelift 2007 e320 like for reliability? Done 125k

There were numerous unseen improvements in addition to cosmetic ones. a well looked after [ serviced] car at 125k should have many miles left in it.
from wikipedia
The W211 was updated in 2006 for the 2007 model year[21] There was new standard and optional equipment, which enabled the W211 to hold its own against its competitors. Sensotronic was dropped due to customer complaints about its software, while Pre-Safe (w/o autonomous braking) was made standard. The announced vehicle was unveiled at the 2006 New York International Auto Show.[22] In total, 29 model variants were available, with 16 Saloons and 13 Estates. New standard equipment included PRE-SAFE active protection, NECK-PRO head restraints, flashing brake lights, tyre pressure monitor. The optional Intelligent Light System included bi-xenon headlamps and 5 different lighting functions. The bodies were restyled including the front grill, rear view mirror, side mirrors, redesigned headlamps, front spoiler, rear lights, gear knob and steering wheel.[23]

Coinciding with the minor model update, the largest factory built engine in the E-class range, the E 500 (badged E 550 in some countries), had its engine size increased from 5 litres to 5.5 litres in 2006.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom