What to do?? How much does a COMAND cost? or is there a cheaper aftermarket solution?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Really stuck on what to do with my Tape/CD Player.

I have a 1999 CLK230k W208, facelift version.

I like the original Merc look, I likle the wheel controls working, I like the radio station coming up on the main dash display.

If I get an aftermarket headunit, I can use MP3 CD's, iPods etc. I already have a 4year old Sony CD Mp3 so it will cost £0.

But I'd like a COMAND, however how much is it likely to cost? What would you do?

Thanks,
Ross

still 5 posts off being able to PM but i will, thanks.

Just after someone giving a definitive post on how to install an afermarket unit but keep the steering/dash controls. Or is that impossible?

Depends how much you want a COMAND unit, depends how long you intend to keep the car.
You WILL recover some of the cost involved when you resell, but not all.
Cars with COMAND do tend to sell easier and for a higher price as its one of the very few extras that does add genuine value.
As you asked, I would go for it.
I love my COMAND and wouldn't want to live without it.
There is a continuous exchange of opinions on this forum as to whether comand is worth the high cost and that portable satnavs do the job as well - or maybe ever better.
For me, having the unit integrated with the car is worth it - that my opinion.
Unless you are very proficient at car electronics, I would leave it to the professionals. Mucking about behind the dash with only 75% of the knowledge required to do the job is a dangerous and potentially expensive hobby.

Last edited:
You could try email;)

I know there are adaptors available for certain models, but as to whether your W208 is one of them I am not sure.

Maybe a search on here and google will yield some information.

I know there are adaptors available for certain models, but as to whether your W208 is one of them I am not sure.

Maybe a search on here and google will yield some information.

i have searched and seen many posts saying, apparently it's this, it might be that etc. There was one post by a guy called A1ex on Benzworld, who attached two wiring looms, but they seems to cost a fair bit themselves $110.
Here's a way of keeping your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket stereo ! - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

get the COMAND.

you'll be able to fit the AUX into the glovebox for your ipod connector and also have satnav directions on the instrument cluster aswell as the usual map in the COMAND screen.

get the COMAND.

you'll be able to fit the AUX into the glovebox for your ipod connector and also have satnav directions on the instrument cluster aswell as the usual map in the COMAND screen.

purely a cost issue, but yes, that would be awesome!

Go with Comand, the best intergrated system I have used, Sat Nav really good, better than my 4 yr old TomTom software on my PDA

Go with Comand, the best intergrated system I have used, Sat Nav really good, better than my 4 yr old TomTom software on my PDA

only issue is MP3 CD's and AUX.

Was wondering if the Audio 10 has CD text/ability for an AUX? Might be tempted to do that as a stop gap. but would I need to get the Audio 10 CD player reprogrammed?

I have Comand in two cars and TT in another. If I don't know where I'm going and I need to get there quickly I use the one with TT.

only issue is MP3 CD's and AUX.

Was wondering if the Audio 10 has CD text/ability for an AUX? Might be tempted to do that as a stop gap. but would I need to get the Audio 10 CD player reprogrammed?

I dont believe there is an AUX input on the audio10 head unit sadly.

I have Comand in two cars and TT in another. If I don't know where I'm going and I need to get there quickly I use the one with TT.

Love the idea of 'getting there quickly' in an SL60! :devil::thumb:

Will

So your smallest engine is 'just' 5,000CC! (circa 17,500 in total?) I'm impressed. I thought Richard had a lot of MB CC's when he had 15,000 of them but he's down to just 11,500 now:(

Stuck between a a rock and a merc!

Cheers Alfie for all your help, most appreciated. I think i might have to wait a few months to get a COMAND. I just don't have the cash.

If i can't get the CD changer working...(i've seen a guide on Benz forum of how to potentially fix it)

then...

I think I may install my 2003 Sony CD/MP3 as a stop gap. Any potential problems installing or reinstalling the Audio 10? May have to ask to borrow the removing pins from someone.

So your smallest engine is 'just' 5,000CC! (circa 17,500 in total?) I'm impressed. I thought Richard had a lot of MB CC's when he had 15,000 of them but he's down to just 11,500 now:(

My garage has 23,000 cc's at the moment! and about 1300bhp..

I bet talbir is into 6 digits..

Repeat after me....5.5 + 5.00 = 10.50

6.0 + 10.5= 16.50

Now go stand in the corner :D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom