What to do next ..... ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kap02

Car
W204 C250 cdi Sport AMG
As the title suggest my MB ownership has been far from perfect during the last months . Its a W204 C250 CDI Auto (67k, 2010, FSH, Amg on 18").

This is the most money I have ever spent on a car and to be frank I am not blown away, its has not given me the additional refinement which is associated with a top German marque.

Yesterday the car went back to the dealer because of an on going fault with the steering creaking at full lock and Vibrations felt through the steering (this is the main issue).

After a long drive with the first MB Technician he said there is nothing wrong with he car, I may add this was after he said that the car was on budget tyres (Vredesteins :dk: Idiot!) and drove the car like he was driving in the "hood" - One hand at the top of the steering wheel. Surly a test to assess the steering would require two hands??

His overall attitude stank to be honest, so i asked for a second opinion. So a second MB tech drove the car, he was very pleasant. Carried out a through test. The main issue of a test like this was that without us both hold the steering wheel at the same time it was difficult to judge/feedback.

He did say that he could feel the road/bumps but said this was down to the Low profile/sporty nature of the car. I did insist he put it on a ramp to perform a full visual check which he agreed to. 1 hour Later, full bill of health.

Left the dealer, within 5 minutes of driving I could feel the same sensations. Now if this is a trait of the car then maybe its time for a change :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the car and on face value it creates a lot of interest. But the ride and refinement has not lived up to my expectations coming from 2006 Honda Civic CDTI! Another gripe has been the reliability, I don't think I have enough space to list the work which has been carried out under warranty. The MPG has also been poor too.

A number of posts have suggested this could be a faulty steering rack and some have claimed its a trait of the car.

Now what? Sell the car? Take the complaint to Mercedes HQ ? Live with it? Bearing in the mind the car is just out of warranty. I do have an email from the dealer to honor the repair as it was reported before.

So confused, so fed up. :dk:

The steering does vibrate on them going over bumps.

To be honest I'd suggest you buy another make and model of car as those are c class traits.

To be honest I'd suggest you buy another make and model of car as those are c class traits.

Disappointing :(

...and many people prefer such feedback through the wheel.

Did you experience this behaviour from the start of owning the vehicle?

Sport, AMG, 18's - you're going to feel all the lumps and bumps! Try a test drive of an Elegance on 16's or 17's, you'll get a much more comfortable ride - softer suspension and more tyre sidewall to absorb some of the crappy condition of our roads!

My S204 C220 is on 16's, and at the moment on 225/50 winter tyres, it's a little bit wallowy if driven spiritedly but is lovely and relaxing when in cruise mode.

Yes from the start, the feel is almost like its lose as opposed to a sport road feel.

Sport, AMG, 18's - you're going to feel all the lumps and bumps! Try a test drive of an Elegance on 16's or 17's, you'll get a much more comfortable ride - softer suspension and more tyre sidewall to absorb some of the crappy condition of our roads!

My S204 C220 is on 16's, and at the moment on 225/50 winter tyres, it's a little bit wallowy if driven spiritedly but is lovely and relaxing when in cruise mode.

I guess that's the compromise, I think I will review the ownership after my Europe trip.

You really need to keep in mind that this is a sport model with firm suspension. The addition of 18" LP tyres has only increased the problem
I experienced the same issues on a BMW 330 sport with 18" tyres. It drove like a brick and I sold it after just 6 months.
I prefer the MB Elegance models these days, not quite as sporty looking but a far superior ride and looks are only skin deep.

You really need to keep in mind that this is a sport model with firm suspension. The addition of 18" LP tyres has only increased the problem
I experienced the same issues on a BMW 330 sport with 18" tyres. It drove like a brick and I sold it after just 6 months.
I prefer the MB Elegance models these days, not quite as sporty looking but a far superior ride and looks are only skin deep.

Its always about looks! I just wont drive it :p

Thanks for the reply,

If they want to capture a share of the "sporting handling" market what Mercedes need to do is implement a true electronic adaptive suspension system on its cheaper cars [ lots of existing technology out there] rather than the present adaptive suspension which uses inertial controlled dampers. Even small Mercedes used to have a limousine ride quality--- sadly no longer.:( Its the weakest aspect of the car imho.

If they want to capture a share of the "sporting handling" market what Mercedes need to do is implement a true electronic adaptive suspension system on its cheaper cars [ lots of existing technology out there] rather than the present adaptive suspension which uses inertial controlled dampers. Even small Mercedes used to have a limousine ride quality--- sadly no longer.:( Its the weakest aspect of the car imho.

wow, didnt know that information.

I think your spot on though....

Interesting to hear that the vibrations are a characteristic of the model. I can only assume that I have insensitive fingers or something because I've never noticed any problem in my W204 Sport on 18" AMGs. And as for the harsh ride some refer to in the Sport model, I must have an insensitive bum too! It's not S-Class comfort, but I noticed no deterioration after 10 years in a CLK Elegance. Even with the Dynamic Handling switched on and tightening the suspension, the ride is relatively good.

I understand what it's like to get a feeling about something not being quite right. No matter how much reassurance you get that everything is fine and just as it should be, you never feel comfortable with it. However, I suggest you try to concentrate on the many things you like about the car and enjoy them instead. Unless of course you can afford to change it for something else - something that may have other things you later discover that you don't like.

I assume Dynamic Handling package must be a much more advanced set up?

The Dynamic Handling Package includes an electronically controlled damper system although its principle emphasis is on stiffening the suspension in the sport setting it does mean that in comfort mode it will adjust suspension more rapidly which will probably refine the suspension response imho. To be absolutely sure it would "deliver " what you want you would have to drive a demonstrator with it fitted and a standard sport suspension car back to back which is difficult to do.

Palmball did on his C63. Its like a wobble you get on rough services through the collumn

I noticed it within about an hour of driving it, but was half expecting it.

I think the c250 amg coupe is great in terms of handling...but then I am coming from a 335i m sport coupe on 19" and run flats which as you can imagine I thought would break my back if I hit a pot hole.

I would suggest that these are common traits for handling on the C class/3 series/A4 models, especially sport coupes.

If you want a car with a more wafty ride I would look towards non-sport models or even the E class and it's competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom