What To Do To Fit Genuine Facelift Headlamps On W221 S Class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam87

Car
S65AMG V12 BiTurbo & S63AMG V8 BiTurbo Designo
Hello,

I'm looking to do a facelift conversion on my S class and it would be so much simpler if I could get aftermarket headlamps as they would be plug and play and so much cheaper but unfortunately no one seems to do the headlamps for a right hand drive car.
Now I'm thinking to buy genuine facelift headlamps but this would be more complicated. I wanted to ask, what exactly do I need to get the genuine headlamps to work on my car?

Can I use my old ballasts?

Do I need headlamp adaptors to connect the facelift headlamps with the pre facelift wiring loom? Where can I get this from?

I read that I need to change headlamp SAM unit also. How easy is this to change? Can it be from any facelift car?

Is there anything else needed to get the lights to work?

Can they be codded by a star computer only? Is there any companies that can do the coding for me if I do all the fitting?

Any advise would be much appreciated!

I must love causing headaches to myself as most people would be happy to leave the car as it is but clearly I'm not like that :doh:

Last edited:
Probably best to talk to these guys

Probably best to talk to these guys

Thank you!

I just gave them a call and they said if I do all the work myself [ fit the headlamps, change SAM unit and get the connection for pre facelift wiring to connect with facelift headlamps ], they would charge about £2K just for the coding 😲

I found the wiring loom here

In the description, it says '' The SAM control unit must be replaced front (A 221 545 84 32) if the vehicle has no Code 809
For Code 809, the controller can be reprogrammed ''

How would I know if my car has Code 809?

If I get the loom, would I then need just the sam unit and then do the coding?

Is this all I need to change? [SAM Unit ] 2008-2010 Mercedes-Benz Module 221-545-84-32 | MB OEM Parts

In the description, it says '' The SAM control unit must be replaced front (A 221 545 84 32) if the vehicle has no Code 809
For Code 809, the controller can be reprogrammed ''

How would I know if my car has Code 809?
Put your VIN into a VIN decoder to find out what was fitted to your car

Why do you assume after market units would be plug and play?

They still have to be coded.

Why do you assume after market units would be plug and play?

They still have to be coded.

Aftermarket ones don't need coding, you just swap the ballast over and they just plug in. No need for any mods to wiring loom or coding

This ones for example

Aftermarket ones don't need coding, you just swap the ballast over and they just plug in. No need for any mods to wiring loom or coding

This ones for example

[/URL]

This ones for example

So you believe what the seller says?

You are plugging then into a Mercedes loom that is controlled by the SAM.

I would be very surprised if they are fully plug and play.

This ones for example

The headlamps are probably not type approved for fitting in the UK and therefore they would be illegal for road use, a possible MOT failure and invalidate your insurance as an unapproved modification. Big risk and that is provided they actually work in the first place. Before spending your money I would check with your insurance company and see what they say.

Last edited:
So you believe what the seller says?

You are plugging then into a Mercedes loom that is controlled by the SAM.

I would be very surprised if they are fully plug and play.

It's been confirmed by quite a few forum members that have done the facelift conversion that with the aftermarket headlamps, you don't need to do any coding or change the headlamp sam unit. This is why they are so popular in USA but they wouldn't be any good for a UK RHD car

The headlamps are probably not type approved for fitting in the UK and therefore they would be illegal for road use, a possible MOT failure and invalidate your insurance as an unapproved modification. Big risk and that is provided they actually work in the first place. Before spending your money I would check with your insurance company and see what they say.

You are correct and that is why I haven't bought aftermarket ones. The kick image is wrong and I would end up blinding oncoming vehicles. It seems companies that make aftermarket headlamps for w221 model only make them for LHD cars

What's the benefit of doing this?

What's the benefit of doing this?
Every car I buy, I like to make it my own and make a few changes. Many people would leave their cars as they are, that’s not me.

There is absolutely zero benefit doing this apart from the fact that I prefer the look of the facelift headlamps.

I was hoping I’d get some clear answers on what I need to do if I decide to go ahead but if it’s too complicated, the pre facelift headlamps will have to do

Every car I buy, I like to make it my own and make a few changes. Many people would leave their cars as they are, that’s not me.

There is absolutely zero benefit doing this apart from the fact that I prefer the look of the facelift headlamps.

I was hoping I’d get some clear answers on what I need to do if I decide to go ahead but if it’s too complicated, the pre facelift headlamps will have to do
Which is fine. And why not?

I was just wondering if there was a benefit that wasn’t obvious.

Which is fine. And why not?

I was just wondering if there was a benefit that wasn’t obvious.

No benefits really but I tend to go OTT with any car I get and it's one of my many weaknesses 😆
I enquired about the price of two new headlamps from Mercedes and I had to take a seat when they told me the price 😲

No benefits really but I tend to go OTT with any car I get and it's one of my many weaknesses 😆
I enquired about the price of two new headlamps from Mercedes and I had to take a seat when they told me the price 😲
Absolutely get it. And why not ?

My weakness is running old motors but keeping them fresh as a daisy.

I’ve got plenty of friends who change cars just to take them apart and put them back together again.

I get it !

I read this with interest, as I don't much care for the pre-facelift headlights on my W221; where as I think the post facelift headlights look 100% better. I really think the headlights age the car and are very odd looking.

Sounds like I'll be sticking to the bug face ones I have though, as I would never pay thousands of pounds for the upgrade. 😆

These claim to be RHD facelift conversion:

These look pretty interesting too, but I'd have to see them on a car to make my mind up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom