What to do with Alliance & liecester Shares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

I have the original 250 shares and got a letter the other day about a buy over by Santander. Doing the sums it seems to be wiser to sell the shares now rather than wait and get the 1 for 3 option it talks about in the letter. Can anyone advise??

It would be illegal for anyone to give you specific advice on share dealings .. my advice is seek independent financial advice from and I.F.A.

Cant be bothered speaking to a FA was hoping someone could guide me. If its illegal then i guess i may forget about it and take whatever comes. Not huge money we are talking about.

Thanks,

It would be illegal for anyone to give you specific advice on share dealings .. my advice is seek independent financial advice from and I.F.A.

ha ha ha what a bull****

Cant be bothered speaking to a FA was hoping someone could guide me. If its illegal then i guess i may forget about it and take whatever comes. Not huge money we are talking about.

Thanks,

Don't believe a single word he said. It up to you entirely that what capitalist world is about. You want the max out of it and just like taking a bet. Don't you enjoy betting and get the adrenaline flowing? Here your chance. No one person can advise, you just have to take the gamble, obviously you are not allowed to get from inside information means someone working either in Abbey or A&L or Sanda.

If I will you I will wait for the rainy days. At the moment there are instability and may improve. Get rid of it if you really need the money badly or when the share price is highest.

FSA rules about financial advice only apply to people who give advice as part of their work.

FSA rules about financial advice only apply to people who give advice as part of their work.

I used to work for a stockbrokers, its a wise bet to enter into a business relationship with a stocbroker firm.

Big names off the top of my head that do private client work include.

Brewin Dolphin
Barclays Wealth
Citigroup Quilter
Smith and Williamson (my ex place)
Charles Stanley

You could establish a dealing with advice account with a stockbroker (much better than IFA and with dealing with advice there is usually just commission to pay, no annual fee) and seek professional advice from them, and gain an insight into the investment market as a whole.

so that they don't recommend something they are paid to do to influence it just like if you ask a daft question to a Merc dealer which is the best car, sure the dealer will say Merc.:D

Strange - I was under the impression that the FSA 1988 was to list the firms and individuals who can give financial advice - then in 2000 this was ratified and put into practice and only people listed (press exempt) can give financial advice -- can't see anywhere that it only applies as part of their work - but stand to be corrected ...obviously there is no financial gain in giving advice on this forum but it could be seen as "ramping"....although in this sample it is hard to prove that for 250 shares...:D

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
I used to work for a stockbrokers, its a wise bet to enter into a business relationship with a stocbroker firm.

Big names off the top of my head that do private client work include.

Brewin Dolphin
Barclays Wealth
Citigroup Quilter
Smith and Williamson (my ex place)
Charles Stanley

You could establish a dealing with advice account with a stockbroker (much better than IFA and with dealing with advice there is usually just commission to pay, no annual fee) and seek professional advice from them, and gain an insight into the investment market as a whole.

for a couple of shares, the commission will be more than the gain, might as well, give the shares away for free.:D

You can save cost by selling it in the Internet first regulated in 99? and save yourself a bundle in commission.:bannana:

Try CMC website, the first to offer Internet dealing.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the Santander take over deal looks like for A+L - but we all know that the bank sector of the stock market is down a long way driven by fears of the credit crunch and future earnings for the banks. I dont know about A+L but RBOS shares are down by about 90% over the last 15 months - so every £10 then is worth £1 now - I dont think A+L is that bad but it is not pretty. My advice would be to sell if you need the cash; if not then there will probably be a better time in the future - especially if you are prepared to wait 5 years or more.

Agree hargreaves lansdown in bristol is excellent; not sure they will offer advice on 250 A+L shares though. Try them - they can only say no!

Hi

I have had these shares 15 or 20 years since whenever they were issued free. I tend to hold onto shares for a long time and as such have been nipped in takeovers before so was just wondering do i cut my losses and sell or just sit tight. Dont need the money and my default is to just let them sit.

Hi

I have had these shares 15 or 20 years since whenever they were issued free. I tend to hold onto shares for a long time and as such have been nipped in takeovers before so was just wondering do i cut my losses and sell or just sit tight. Dont need the money and my default is to just let them sit.

They were launched at 542.50p - closed around 339.00p Friday so no tax worries then..:rolleyes:

They were launched at 542.50p - closed around 339.00p Friday so no tax worries then..:rolleyes:

They were 1200p last year.;)

Worth swopping for Santandar in my opinion, who are doing better than the UK banks at the moment anyway.;)

They are also giving 18p Dividend as part of the deal.:rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom