What to expect at first service -E220 CDI AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Margaret

Car
E220d premium estate
Hi. I'm due to have my first car service in January on my E220 diesel. It has 7000 miles on the clock, so I'm presuming a service will be prompted on its 1st anniversary. I'm wondering what to expect from the garage. Is it just a basic oil and filter change or could there be other add ons ? There are no messages from the computer currently. I don't want to be ripped off as happened previously with my old car.

If its a year old then it should just be an oil change.

To save money, buy the oil from your local motor factor. MB charge ~£10/L, whereas you can buy it for 1/2 that. Even so, expect a bill ~£150, but the coffee tastes nice.

Many thanks for the link. I've checked it and gotten a quote for 242 quid. Oil and filter are the main items plus a lot of things to be checked ! I've just had a look in my boot and realised that when I lift the black carpet there is no cover over my spare tyre and battery. There was in my old car. Can anyone tell me if there should be one in this car. It looks to me to be missing !

Supply your own oil this will result in a further saving.

Thanks for the suggestion of supplying own oil. Has anyone actually done this ? Will they not tell me to get lost and do the service myself ?!

Thanks for the suggestion of supplying own oil. Has anyone actually done this ? Will they not tell me to get lost and do the service myself ?!

I've done this. Their response was quite the opposite. They happily told me suitable oils I could buy and how much it would reduce the bill buy. In the end my first service was ~£138 + oil.

Amazed to hear that. Not sure ill be brave enough to do that ! But I'll have a think about it. Anyone else any experiences of doing this ? What about the cover on the spare wheel, am I right in thinking its missing ?!

I don't wish to sound silly here, but if you can afford a bran new Mercedes E class who cares about a few additional pound notes for a "can" of oil, hardly worth the effort of going down halfords to purchase it

I had an A service at 3 years old a few months ago and it cost £215 without a courtesy car, so your quote is about right.

I don't wish to sound silly here, but if you can afford a bran new Mercedes E class who cares about a few additional pound notes for a "can" of oil, hardly worth the effort of going down halfords to purchase it

Some people can afford nice things because they're careful enough to avoid getting ripped off when a bit of forward planning might save them a few bob.

Look after the pennies and all that.

What about the cover on the spare wheel, am I right in thinking its missing ?!

It's not missing, there is no cover over the spare wheel, assuming you've got the W212 facelift.

If you had a W211, then there was a cover.

Yes it is the facelift model. It's odd that there's no cover as it seems it has been designed for one as there is a recessed area around the space for the tyre and the battery as if one should sit there. I take your point about saving a few quid by buying the oil yourself, no problem, but I just wanted to make sure what should be done and what to expect on cost as I have previously been landed with an unexpected extremely large bill on what was supposed to be a routine service when a few brake pads were added with hourly labour rates in excess of any professional fees I have ever encountered ! Finally there was no service book supplied with the car. Is this also normal and do I just keep receipts as proof of service history when selling ? Many thanks for advice.

No service book supplied with Mercedes now it is all electronic and stored on their computer.
You can ask them for the service record and they print it off for you.:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom