• Jaguar XJ6 etc

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Lexus LS400 etc

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • BMW 3/5 Series

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Toyota / Masda

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Another Mercedes ! (prob gonne be popular choice)

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • Other ?

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpskiller

Car
Wifes
As you may have noticed I am selling my Mercedes, and was thinking of a change but have a limited budget of around £1200

Im just looking for something a bit different but has to be able to go on classic car insurance..

MPG is not much of a problem as with the 300, im used to not getting much around town.. but something which would be around the prices to maintain as the merc, and apart from mercs the only other cars Iv'e had where fords..;)

and any pitfalls off makes to look out for.

Please note I do use another merc the 190

Last edited:
The choice would depend on what you need the car to do. I'd probably suggest MB though...

Well I like big and comfortable cars, must admit I like the road pressence and Auto's are good because I'm lazy, but the car is mostly just for me & wife to do trips here and there, I do less than 5k a year, so a 2 seater could be an option aswell

Would say for classic insurance it has to be MB good second option would be the Lexus but check it out carefully although usually bullet proof they are expensive when they go wrong particularly the brakes and master cylinder,

How about a XJS? The 4.0 straight six is a lovely engine.
It's something different, not to everyone's taste I know, but thought I'd throw the suggestion in to the mix.

Not sure off the top of my head, but I would be tempted to try something other than a Merc

Nice to try different cars, trouble is at this value any work needed would be a large proportion of the value of the car which would concern me.

How about this for a summer crusier? bit over budget though..

328i Auto Convertible?

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/845807.htm

Up your budget a bit and I'll give you a superb 126....:D

Not sure off the top of my head, but I would be tempted to try something other than a Merc

Nice to try different cars, trouble is at this value any work needed would be a large proportion of the value of the car which would concern me.

How about this for a summer crusier? bit over budget though..

328i Auto Convertible?

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/845807.htm

Thats nice but it is over budget and if I left that alone in my neck of the woods, the roof would be vandalised in seconds:mad: , I realise that any older car I get will not go up in value, after all the money Iv'e put into the merc I'll be lucky if I get anything more that I paid for it, if that..

PETROL ,MID/BIG SIZED MODEL, JAPANESE- Toyota Camry or HONDA Legend or MAZDA Xedos 6 NISSAN Maxima comes to mind. Trouble is there arn't many about.

Last edited:
How about a XJS? The 4.0 straight six is a lovely engine.
It's something different, not to everyone's taste I know, but thought I'd throw the suggestion in to the mix.

And electrics made from butter, they are renowned for it! :(

Dad had an XJ6, lovely car but once they start to go wrong, they stay going wrong!

If you really don't want another merc then go jap. Honda springs to mind, you could get a fairly decent Accord 2.2 for that money. You wont get classic car insurance, but it wont be that expensive, parts available off the shelf and jap reliability.

The Legend as mentioned before is another one, very understated car and can be picked up for reasonable money.

The electrics on jags I know about, thats about the only thing thats puts me off them.

The XJS was particularly bad for electrics, connectors regularly perished in very unaccessable places, James May did a report on them on Top Gear a while back. There was mention of a place that did a complete electric overhaul for a few K.

Off the top of my head, faults the old boy had were:

Starter motor sticking
Car not engaging park properly, so would not turn over unless neutral was selected.
Intermittent electrical fault - Very strange that one!
Central locking

Various other niggles - that was a 1995 M with 110K

Was a great car - leather was very nice but did 16mpg, 18 if you were lucky!

On a plus point he sold it for more than he paid.

If I were you I'd get new shoes for PurpleGoddess - the safe option....... :devil:

Seriously, it's diificult isn't it? You fed up with MB? Seems a shame after all the work you have done

Last edited:
Ok, Here's a curve-ball..
A Citroen CX or XM.

The CX just oozes style and quirkness, but is going to be more rust prone.
The XM is never going to go rusty and contrary to popular belief are very reliable and can rack up huge mileages.
You wouldn't get any other classic Cit for your money...and they are going up in value..

Yeah..my coats on..:rolleyes:

How about a Porsche 944 (uprated engine even) :D:devil: Might just know where there is one :rolleyes:

As the previous owner of that particular 944 I can vouch for it being a good one and its even better now Ian has uprated it. Go on .. Everyone has to have a Porsche sometime - it would be rude not to.

If you really want to go CLASSIC..............

Not quite 88 - 95 but good fun.............

How about..........

MGBGT V8
Daimler SP250
Sunbeam Tiger (the alpine shape)
Gilbern Invader
TVR 3000
Jensen Healey
Triumph Stag/TR6
Reliant Scimitar GTE
Trident Typhoon
Jaguar E Type +2

LOL.............

I know.

It was a bit of a flight of fancy..............

But you never know. Chuck a few oddball names in the hat and just sometimes one comes out..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom