what to use to use on the back of fresh brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chanyboi

Car
clk 240
Morning,

What would you guys recommend to use on the back of new brake pads prevent brake "sqeel".
Im buying new pagid rear discs (qty 2), pads (qty 1) and a new wear sensor (qty1) for my 2002 clk 240 from Euro car parts but im not sure what pastes it will come with.

Also can anyone confirm the rears 2002 clk 240 only needs one wear sensor?
And the ECP rear pads come as a set of 4 pads.

Thanks x

I would always advocate fitting new pads with new discs as you are going to do. It always gets me that people talk about putting grease on the back of the brake pad plate. The most important areas are the edges of the pad backing plate where it slides in the caliper recess [ its a good idea to give these caliper sliding surfaces a good clean/scrape at the same time [ brake cleaner-- a narrow wallpaper stripper/ narrow blunt wood chisel-- and old toothbrush are good tools for this but avoid inhaling any dust by wearing a good quality mask ] and giving them a thin film coating too. sure stick some on the back of the plate too or on the end of any caliper piston] BUT ALL IN MODERATION!! Merc parts will sell you sachets of grease for the job or you can buy a tube of the Pagid stuff from ECP. Cera-Tec Brake Lube 75ml | Euro Car Parts UK?s No.1 Retailer

The pagid stuff is good... Copper grease is good, used it for years but there are better pastes out there now specially made for brakes.

Most decent brake pads such as pagid have an "Anti squel backing" already on them now and don't need any copper grease on the back.

as grober said, I'd just clean the contact areas of the caliper with brake cleaner, which is about £2.50 an aerosol, and use either cera tec or copper grease on these areas.

I also use ceratec on the slide pins that hold the spring plates in place.

Copper grease is always good to have around to smear a bit on the mating surface of alloys and wheel bolts to prevent binding.

Joe, Grober already posted the link to the Pagid paste above Jay's post. ^^

Thank you all for your replies, you have answered what I was looking for. Since i've got plenty of copper grease at home, I will be using that on the pads and caliper sliding areas.

As I'm at work, and don't have the car with me, does anyone know if the rears calipers of a 2002 clk 240 needs one or two wear sensor? (i'm not being lazy, I'm just picking up the parts after work so I will not have time to go home to take both wheels off and on again to check.)

Thanks

Just called up ECP they have confirmed the 2002 CLK 240 requires only ONE rear wear sensor, and the pads come per set of axles so perfect!

If anyone is looking to replace their rear discs and pads this was my order which I believe is all you need for the 2002 CLK 240:

Part number as to Euro Car Parts -

2x (part number: ) - Pagid Brake Disc Mercedes - Benz CLK 2.6 2002 - £62.28 (pair)
1x (part number: ) - Pagid Brake Pads Mercedes - Benz CLK 2.6 2002 - £26.34
1x (part number: ) - Pagid Brake Sensor Mercedes - Benz CLK 2.6 2002 - £5.76
1x (part number: 526770250) - Pagid Cera-Tec Brake Lube 75ml - £3.71

(minus Drum pads)

All my questions have now been answered, Thank again!

Update on Part number as to Euro Car Parts -

2x (part number: 104220478) - Pagid Brake Disc Mercedes - Benz CLK 2.6 2002 - £62.28 (pair)
1x (part number: 101220358) - Pagid Brake Pads Mercedes - Benz CLK 2.6 2002 - £26.34
1x (part number: 106220058) - Pagid Brake Pad Wear Sensor Mercedes - Benz CLK 2.6 2002 - £5.76
1x (part number: 526770250) - Pagid Cera-Tec Brake Lube 75ml - £3.71

^ Did you quote the code to get the forum member's discount ?

There is no need at all for any grease on the back of the pad. MB state that there is no need for any on the back of the pad. Only on the contact surfaces between the pad and the pad carrier itself.

If they squeel it is normally because of worn discs or cheapo pads.

Yes - last time I bought front pads for my 1995 124 320 coupe from the dealer they came with spots of grease cushions already on the rear of each pad. The stainless shim then went onto that.

The ones with the grease cushions dont need anything extra.. the ones without, we always put them on as it helps them bed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom