What triggers ASR light on W124?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vincenz

Car
W209 CLK 200K Coupe
Hi
This morning I noticed the ASR warning triangle in the middle of the dash comes on at speeds greater than 110km/h (just under 70mph) it then stays on until I drop below 60mph (110km/h)

Is this normal?

Temp reading has been between 2 and 6 degrees.

Are we talking about you e220?You have an ASR on it?

What wheel tyre combination have you got currently. Since I think ASR uses the ABS wheel speed sensors I wonder if you are getting a spurious reading from one of the wheels which is registering a fault or false trigger to the system.

dw124: Yeah on a 220e

grober: standard 15's with standard tyres (195 iirc)

I thought it may be a wheel speed sensor, but if you tap the brakes at say 80 you can knock it off, then it comes back on two seconds later, unless this is the response time of the system.

Can an unblanced wheel trigger it? Or tyre pressures?

How bigger job is replacing a wheel speed sensor?

TIA guys

The sensors are easy enough to replace/clean but the toothed wheels are a hub off job I think. Its well worth removing the sensors and giving them a quick clean and checking the wiring for damage. Do you mean ABS or ASD or ASR ? --- best to confirm since an ASR fitment on the 4 cylinder cars is almost unheard of as has been said. All these systems rely on the road wheel speed sensors giving readings that fall within a certain defined range. If any sensor indicates a greater difference than the others beyond system predefined limits then the system is triggered. This can happen with genuine wheel spin/slippage but can also be caused by different tyre rolling radius and other mechanical faults.

The sensors are easy enough to replace/clean but the toothed wheels are a hub off job I think. Its well worth removing the sensors and giving them a quick clean and checking the wiring for damage. Do you mean ABS or ASD or ASR ? --- best to confirm since an ASR fitment on the 4 cylinder cars is almost unheard of as has been said. All these systems rely on the road wheel speed sensors giving readings that fall within a certain defined range. If any sensor indicates a greater difference than the others beyond system predefined limits then the system is triggered. This can happen with genuine wheel spin/slippage but can also be caused by different tyre rolling radius and other mechanical faults.
Is has to be ASD or ASR as he mention the triangle on the speedo.At one point i thought that someone must have changed the cluster at some point,but he still got the 220 speedo as it shows 150mph :dk:.As i`ve said above,the cars with ASR should have this switch
468_12.JPG

My W124 had ASR, I had a similar problem whilst driving. It turned out to be a simple fix. One of the rear tyres had considerably less air due to a slow puncture, once i got the tyre repaired and inflated the problem went away.

Sorry gents I may be getting my wires crossed here then!

I was referring to the little triangle that lights up at the top of speedo.

What is its purpose?

After re-reading the manual I think my car must have asD!

I will check the tyre pressures as I over inflated them over the winter as it was stood around whilst I was out the country!

Last edited:
After re-reading the manual I think my car must have asD!
If it has asd or asr,it should have another ligh next to the airbag srs light and it would read one them.

Right the manual is not that clear so ive looked at the dash, its not the ASD light as that is next to the srs light and isn't illuminating, its the triangle on the speedometer thats flashing,

In the snow yday it was operating at low speeds when traction was lost (im assuming normal operation) but its the staying on at above 110kmh thats annoying if its a fault, if its a characteristic then fair enough.

ETA you can see it (just about) in this pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/1f1f7063486322 (although its not illuminated, no km/h markers are its location).

Last edited:
if it has asd slip diff, you need to check the fluid container in engine compartment for the correct level.

posting the VIN will reveal what options the car has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom