What tyre brands do you prefer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Hey guys,

What tyres brands do you all fit?

I tend to stick with Michelin or Continentals

Paying £160 each for rears, and £110 for fronts. (18")

However almost all the alloys I see for sale on gumtree seem to be fitted with random brands I've never heard of. These cost around 50 fully fitted.. some saving!

What brands do you guys prefer?

Cheers

Last edited:
Tbh I've never had any issues with Nankangs.... Yep i said it! After my recent vibrations of the steering wheel id noticed the Nankangs which had covered 4k were starting wear a little un even, I thought well could be the cause of the vibs, Soooo I fitted My fav brand a pair of Goodyear f1's which i had on my previous s211.

They i find are a excellent tyre , nice and quiet and plenty of grip wet and dry.

In the end i think the Nankangs were only wearing like that due to the poxy issues with spigots rings fitted, The rear's are fine despite having alittle fun lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uw2vYVMeG4

Sorry for the sound quality

Tbh I've never had any issues with Nankangs.... Yep i said it! After my recent vibrations of the steering wheel id noticed the Nankangs which had covered 4k were starting wear a little un even, I thought well could be the cause of the vibs, Soooo I fitted My fav brand a pair of Goodyear f1's which i had on my previous s211.

They i find are a excellent tyre , nice and quiet and plenty of grip wet and dry.

In the end i think the Nankangs were only wearing like that due to the poxy issues with spigots rings fitted, The rear's are fine despite having alittle fun lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uw2vYVMeG4

Sorry for the sound quality

Wow Brutus is a beauty :D

Will have a look at cost of nankang.

I'll probably end up sticking with Continentals just for the fact that I like everything to match and the rears are on Continentals at the moment

Wow Brutus is a beauty :D

Will have a look at cost of nankang.

I'll probably end up sticking with Continentals just for the fact that I like everything to match and the rears are on Continentals at the moment

A little immature, i agree, I was having a bad day and frustrated with the car lol

I will be fitting Goodyears to the rear to match the front When the Nankang Ns-2's have had there day. But even after 4k, and a little burnout they have loads of life still left.

I cannot fault the Falken's I have fitted on the E55 right now (£90 front £110 rear) but Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 will be going on next. Nothing short of brilliant on my wife's Focus.

I'm afraid neither Continental or Pirelli would get a look in for me.

Try Vredstein tyres, just as good as your premium branded tyres.

Vredstein are the tyre of choice for RX8s.

I like my Goodyear efficient grip performance, as they're very quiet. Wheels being only 16 inch means they're very cheap. I managed to get two fitted to the rear end for £91 using a bit of trickery.

Merc85, that car is an animal.

Last edited:
I cannot fault the Falken's I have fitted on the E55 right now (£90 front £110 rear) but Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 will be going on next. Nothing short of brilliant on my wife's Focus.

I'm afraid neither Continental or Pirelli would get a look in for me.

What's wrong with Continentals? Aren't they the OEM choice

It is interesting but those that have posted have mentioned brands that were considered cheap and not to be fitted,Nankang,Vredstein,and Falkens, just a few years ago,what I have noticed is that the standard of tyres have gone up by a huge amount,I will add one to the list Nexen I have fitted their SU4 on my S320,I cannot fault them,and the interesting fact is they are fitted as standard on Porsche 4x4's,I have fitted Continetals,and P Zero's on my car and Nexens are as good and a lot cheaper.

Goodyear Eagle F1s working really well on my SL. Would normally fit either Michelin or Conti's. It's the only thing between the car and the road so don't like to scrimp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have nexen nfera su1'a all around, I used to have conti 5's, the difference is not noticeable at all.. only cost is.. my indie was also running nexens on his immaculate w211

Aren`t Nankangs known as ditch finders? Unless they`ve changed dramatically or been bought out by a reputable company I wouldn`t even put them on a car I was scrapping.

All forums I`ve been on over the years have slated them and for good reason.

Horses for courses.

It depends what you're buying the tyres for; some are better in the wet, some are quieter, some give you better fuel economy, some are best on a trackday. - What's good for one person is terrible for another.

I've got Michelin Pilot Sports on the CLK (I think it's 2s on the front and 3s on the rear, but I could be wrong). - No problem in the dry, but they do make the car twitchy in the wet.
I've got Hankook EVOs on the Nissan. - I really like these, they give me a great deal of confidence throwing the car in to corners; they don't wear too quickly, and they seem to hold the road in the wet too.
I had a set of Goodyears that I found too soft on the Nissan, but I know that other people swear by the Eagle F1.
I quite liked Toyo Proxes too; stiff sidewall, so no rolling on to the sidewall... but again, I know plenty of people who don't like them for the same reason. - If I was buying semi-slicks I'd probably try to buy R888s first then maybe look at Yokohama Advan A048s .

I like Michelin CrossClimate. Sadly, they aren't available yet for my C200's 17" wheels.

Aren`t Nankangs known as ditch finders? Unless they`ve changed dramatically or been bought out by a reputable company I wouldn`t even put them on a car I was scrapping.

All forums I`ve been on over the years have slated them and for good reason.

Due to their characteristics. They grip well until they hit their limit and then rather than gradually give up with warning, they break away very quickly. The Nexens are the same.

To the majority they will feel like a good tyre. It when you really need them that they gain their reputation.

Hopefully people don't get into a position they experience this characteristic.

This on the limit characteristic is one of the main things I look for in a tyre and would even take something less grippy overall to avoid a bad tyre at the limit.

It is interesting but those that have posted have mentioned brands that were considered cheap and not to be fitted,Nankang,Vredstein,and Falkens, just a few years ago,what I have noticed is that the standard of tyres have gone up by a huge amount,I will add one to the list Nexen I have fitted their SU4 on my S320,I cannot fault them,and the interesting fact is they are fitted as standard on Porsche 4x4's,I have fitted Continetals,and P Zero's on my car and Nexens are as good and a lot cheaper.

Vredsteins have never been a budget tyre, just a less well known brand but with a reputation for wet grip. Falken, Toyo like Hankook have for a very long while been a mid brand tyre producing pretty reasonable tyre with good characteristics and the latter become more OEM. Nankang, Kumho, Wanli, Nexen etc are all still pretty much budget with a couple starting to get into the mid range now.

Don't get fooled by the recommendations from tyre tests which claim to be independent but in many cases are not, or your tyre guy recommending them due to the huge margins they get for selling them.

Friend of mine is in tyre development (contractor rather than one manufacturer) and is also involved in some of these tests. The conclusion on the day is sometimes not reflected in print.

May as well all drive in Renaults then as cars are cars :D

What's wrong with Continentals? Aren't they the OEM choice
Yes they are OEM along with Hankook and Michelin that I know of.

Just a personal choice after having Continentals on my last E280 and them not giving much confidence in the wet.
I'm sure they are fine, just not on my radar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom