What tyres are you using?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLS22

Car
W205 C63
My Michelin’s Super Sports are coming to an end and I need to change them. Their wet weather grip in colder temps isn’t great (couple of interesting moments in the last few weeks when not really pressing on that much) and despite much procrastination I’m not going to get a set of winters so I was wondering what everyone else was using.

I was going to get a set of Michelin PS4’s but cant find any that fit my rears (265/35/19).

What are you guys on and are you happy with them?

Last edited:
I have good year Eagle f1 assymetric 2. All tyres will suck at the end of their lifespan

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

All weather tyres are a good compromise.

Nankang NS-20 and also had Nankang NS2 good tyres, no problems with them, and we'll priced.

I had Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 on my last set of wheels. Very good tyre.

I know have Pirelli P Zero and I'm impressed with the grip and handing wet and dry.

For summer road use is thete really much difference between the brands?

I will be looking to reshoe the rears on my GTS when it comes out of hibernation and have found a couple of good websites with keen pricing which class Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental, Yokohama and Michelin all as medium brands and depending on what offers they have on have seen the tyres i want as low as £167 and as high as £304 but as long as they match will i really notice much difference. I will be doing a lot of euro touring so hard wearing will be a key requirement.

Any thoughts?

Also any thoughts on Vredestein, Falken or Hancook?

for outright wet grip, the conti 6ps kick the s@&t out of MPSS tyres. not saying they wear better though. had conti 5p tyres on my old car and after only 6k miles they had worn down to 5mm and 4.5mm ! but the reference level summer tyre is the conti 6p. Though it may struggle slightly below zero in ice etc but cant say for sure. I did a couple of hours at MB world brooklands in March in the wet on conti 6p tyres in a c63 and it was spectacular. anecdotally definitely ahead of the MPSS in those conditions.

I went to the dark side and got myself a set of winter tyres as I get a lot of standing water ie ice in the pot holes at the left hand sides of some of the roads I regularly drive on in winter and they dont get gritted . made it through the winter just gone on mpss tyres but thought I'm not doing that again !

the alpin PA4 ones I got for the rear tyres were 265 width (plenty of 245 in stock for the fronts or square set up if you prefer )and took a month to arrive as they weren't stocked by anyone at the time.

now the good news is it was -1c this morning and i was so excited to test these tyres that I drove around everywhere in sport plus with a heavy foot on the gas pedal , revving hard to 4k and 5k in gear 1 after each traffic light and junction and roundabout and didnt see an ounce of slip. havent tried them in the cold and wet , just warm (8 to 14 degrees ) and wet so far but they were fine. in these conditions (cold and dry ), it is like driving on mpss tyres in 35 degrees. only thing to note is it takes a bit longer to stop and at the limit of grip at higher speeds, the vehicle wobbles a tad but sticks to the road like glue (only tried in warmer temps as it hasn't been cold enough on any long drives with no other cars on the road ) . I haven't pushed the car on corners either as I hear the tyres cant handle a huge amount of lateral g forces . but overall impressions thus far seem to suggest some performance winter tyres are about more than just snow ... there may be scope to test them in colder temps in the wet soon too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181211-083813_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20181211-083813_Google.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 14
I run the PS4S on my 204 all year round , great tyre and they do your size...
Speak to Ben Patey for all tyres, you won't find them cheaper elsewhere :)

Thanks Sean - I’ve spoke to Michelin and apparently there is no stock until March

Where can I find Ben?

Anyone used ContiSport 6’s?

Yes, we've got a pair on the front. We've had no issues or complaints at all.

Running 5P on the rears still.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom