What Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nickos

Car
CLK 320
Hey all,

Can anyone offer some help as what the best tyres would be for my CLK 320 rag top.

255/35/18 Pirelli pzeros fitted ATM.

Not sure if I should change to a different make, just wanted them to last a bit longer.

Cheers
Nick

Because the rag top is a normally little heavier than the tin top version then pay particular attention to the speed and load rating of any replacement. You can go top of the line Michelin or Continental or something from a mid range manufacturer offers almost the same for less money. Even at the economy end there are some good tyres- falken and kumho come to mind just stay clear of anything from the far east you have never heard of ! Most of the big online suppliers have reviews or links to them
Tyres by Brand - Tyre Reviews

I've got Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on mine, but I don't think they're available any more.

So far I've found them acceptable, but I couldn't honestly say how they compare to anything else because I haven't changed them. - They are certainly better in the dry than they are when it's cold and wet.

The slightly vague steering is just the way the CLK is setup. - I was discussing it with a friend who has a CLK55 cabriolet and the handling appears to be pretty similar.

Thanks for the advice, basically I've only done about 8k mid range driving (motorway) and I fitted these pzeros all round the ones on the front have 6mm left and the rears only have 3mm left.

Just another thing and please ignore my ignorance, is it ok for me to have 2 different makes on front and rear? (Same on each axel) ?

2017 Auto Bild Sportscars Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews

Testing nine 235/35 R19 maximum performance tyres using a Focus ST, Auto Bild have focused on the raw performance of these tyres, weighting the score heavily in favour of wet and dry handling.

3mm is pretty much on the limit wear wise for handling in the wet but still far from illegal. Having different tyres front and back for a transition period is a pretty common scenario as people change over from one make to another. Different tyres on the same axle is frowned on. Its all to do with handling predicability. For stability in handling in a RWD car the rear tyres should always grip slightly more than the front to yield an understeering car---- something to borne in mind when mixing tyre combinations front to back.

Have just bought an ML with Continentals on the front and Bridgestones on the rear . Good thing is tread patterns on both look exactly the same. Bad thing is that fronts are W speed rated 107 load rated , rears are V speed rated , 103 load rated. So just to be sure I spoke to my insurers. They are happy but have made note on our policy that they have been advised re fitting of non original spec tyres. They said it could have created a problem if they had not been advised prior to any claim. Anyway belt and braces! When rears are ready for a change I will revert to original W rating tyres

Cool thanks for all the input, I think that I'll take my trip into Europe in a week and then look to change the rear to Michelin, before our winter sets in. See if they last any longer than the Pirelli's

Well I found the P zeros wore out quickly,what tyre you buy is up to you some people want top makes,they equate paying more money to getting a good tyre,I have used Continetals,Michelins,and the Pzeros and found for my sort of driving which is never going to find the limit a tyre is going to loose grip at, you can find cheaper good tyres,I have fitted Nexen SU4's on my S320 you could fit Nexen SU1's at about £75 a corner,they seem to wear well and are round black and seem to suit my car well.

I agree. It's quite a subjective thing because it depends on what's most important to you; dry grip, wet grip, noise, tyre life, price point, etc.

I've got Conti 5s on rear, and Goodyear Asymmetric on front

I've just replaced Pirellis with Michelins and I can now drive the car "normally"

The rear Pirellis lasted 6000 miles and very poor in the wet.

Consider Vredstein tyres, had a full set of Ultrac Satins fitted recently

Yeah I think that I'll pay more for the tyre as that's the only bit keeping the car on the road £150 for Michelins vs £125 Pirellis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom