What tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diggygem

Car
Mercedes CLS 320
I have a CLS 320 cdi and was wondering what tyres to put on the front the book says225/35/19 runflats however the guy at the barrage said that it was up to me I could put run flats on or I could. Go for normal tyres do I stay with run flats or is that not nesesary

I have a CLS 320 cdi and was wondering what tyres to put on the front the book says225/35/19 runflats however the guy at the barrage said that it was up to me I could put run flats on or I could. Go for normal tyres do I stay with run flats or is that not nesesary
This is correct. You can replace runflats (SSR) tyres with standard tyres, as long as they have the same size and rating.

Some people don't like runflats because of the harsher ride (rigid sidewalls), and the fact that in most cases a puncture can not be repaired and a new tyre is needed.

...but in this case, make sure you have a spare wheel, or some other form of tyre repair kit.

Thanks for you're quick response Markjay the car has the 19" Amg wheels fitted so maybe get a spare to go in the boot is a good idea what sort of price is OK for a tyre for the car?

If you have 19" AMG alloys fitted to your CLS the front tyres should be the following size
255x35xR19 96Y.
The rears, should you replace them should be 285x30xR19 98Y

Look up any 19" AMG alloy for the CLS on this link and scroll down and confirm for yourself the tyre sizes are as above.
Mercedes CLS Class Alloys (C218) - Alloy Wheels Direct

Regarding which brand, that depends on your budget, whether you want low cost, medium or premium brand tyres.

Nexen, Kumho Hankook, Uniroyal and Falken are considered good medium price brands.
Goodyear, Michelin, Dunlop and Continental are highly regarded premium brands.

Checking tyre reviews for each brand may help you decide.
Tyre tests at TyreReviews - Tyre Reviews

Thanks I have decided to go with Goodyear however I am not putting run flat's on is this the right thing to do?

Thanks I have decided to go with Goodyear however I am not putting run flat's on is this the right thing to do?
Yes.

Run flats are over rated In my opinion and you’re better off with good tires and a can of foam or spare wheel/space saver

The benefit of run-flats is safety - no need to stop on the hard shoulder at night in the event of flat tyre and risk being hit by a passing lorry.

The down side is harsh ride, and cost - run-flat tyres can not be repaired (or rather they can be, but shouldn't be...).

The cynic in me can't help but think that car manufacturers are pushing run-flats in order to reduce weight (no spare tyre or Tire-Fit kit..) to improve mpg and emissions figures.

To me run flats are a solution to a problem that is so rare that I wouldn't accept the compromise that they bring to ride quality for 100% of the time. I honestly can't remember when I last had a puncture. It has to be in excess of 25 years ago.

Like 190, my last puncture was ~25 years ago - until 10 days ago when the rear OS tyre - a Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 with just shy of 20k miles on it but still 2mm above the wear bars - totally gave up the ghost with little warning. Boy was I glad I have an emergency spare wheel instead of a can of jollop - which would have been useless as half the inner side wall had shredded. OK, limited to 50mph, and car looked peculiar from the rear with a 245/40 R17 one side and a skinny emergency spare the other, but at least I was mobile and could get to a tyre place rather than calling out a low loader or mobile tyre fitter at 7pm on a Tuesday evening in the middle of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom