What Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuffolkSifter

Car
ML350
Sadly I need two tyres on my 2012 ML350 both getting low in tread, one has a screw near the sidewall. I am little confused on what tyres should be on there as I have 265/40 R21 5p Continentals and the tyre place said that they were wrong and they were Porsche tyres?? Also the tyres should have "SUV" on them?

So what was on out of the factory?

Many thanks.

265/40 x 21 are definitely a factory specified size on the ML (W164).

The tyre place will be refering to they shoud be a Mercedes fitment - ie stamped MO.

Most of mine have no SUV stamp (as far I can see) on the Continental tyres.

265/40 x 21 are definitely a factory specified size on the ML (W164).

The tyre place will be refering to they shoud be a Mercedes fitment - ie stamped MO.

Most of mine have no SUV stamp (as far I can see) on the Continental tyres.
Thanks, just rang Mercedes and they said 265/40 R21 Y, which ever brand I want, but as you say must be Mercedes rated with the MO. So there will be MO on the tyre? What make work best on my W166?

Thanks, just rang Mercedes and they said 265/40 R21 Y, which ever brand I want, but as you say must be Mercedes rated with the MO. So there will be MO on the tyre? What make work best on my W166?
You don't need MO on the tyre, any decent tyre in that size will be suitable just get a good make.

You don't need MO on the tyre, any decent tyre in that size will be suitable just get a good make.
Does it not have to have stronger sidewall as it is a 4x4? My tyres have NO = Porsche on whereas MO = Mercedes.

Have seen Continental Sport Contact 2 for £203.83 or the Continental Cross Contact UHP (whatever that is) for £203.83 also.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Have seen Continental Sport Contact 2 for £203.83 or the Continental Cross Contact UHP (whatever that is) for £203.83 also.

Both will be fine. Have had both and cannot tell the difference after a few miles. This time of year and UHP may be sensible?

I am not a driving God and able to discern tread pattern subtleties as never drive my cars on the limit BUT a good quality tyre is definitely "better" than also rans.

Hitherto preferred Continental or Michelin on my MB cars. But am warming to Dunlop and Nexen of late. Do not get on with Bridgestone nor Goodyear.

MO stamped tyres are not that much more expensive as a rule for peace of mind.

Does it not have to have stronger sidewall as it is a 4x4? My tyres have NO = Porsche on whereas MO = Mercedes.

Your thoughts?
I just bought tyres that met the specification for my ML350. Just dont buy tyres with a lower than specified load rating for your car.

Yes MO will be marked on the side wall. It’s not mandatory to have MO tyres but in the absence of a specific personal preference, then they’re the safest bet.

As long as you stick the premium brands (eg Michelin, Continental, Pirelli) and you can’t really go wrong - go for whichever you can get the best deal on.

Personally I like Pirelli tyres on the W166, and I opt for tyres homologated for Audi as they last longer than MO rated equivalent (I’ve covered lots of miles in MLs).

Thanks all for your input, will go for the Cross Contact B rated in fuel economy as opposed to E for Sport Contact. As I go Metal Detecting, have the air suspension to lift me up over rough ground, the Cross Contact may be better if I get in a sticky situation.

What is the UHP?

Thanks all for your input, will go for the Cross Contact B rated in fuel economy as opposed to E for Sport Contact. As I go Metal Detecting, have the air suspension to lift me up over rough ground, the Cross Contact may be better if I get in a sticky situation.
Personally I would go for Cross Contact too, they’re better suited to an SUV IMHO.

I’ve only ever been pleased with Continental tyres. I have a few sets for winter tyres (on MLs but a different size) and they’re great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom