What was the first Mercedes that you drove?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A Yellow W123 200 Auto for a test drive. Didn`t buy it because the autobox always seemed to be in the wrong gear!

In the early 80s.

I think that has to be the worst fuel consumption figure I have seen lately - makes my gas guzzlers seem positively frugal :D

Can anyone here beat that for thirst ?

WWII Sherman tank, built by Chrysler, 30 cyl multibank petrol engine.

0.5 mpg.

My 1994 coupe bought 5 years ago. She is a keeper for life. In fact I am on a train to collect her as I type having had her resprayed. Pictures I have seen of her look fab so like a child in a sweet shop at moment. Will post a thread on her when I find time.

The first MB I drove (and sat in) was my Dad's 1975 (P reg) S class company car (I don't recall the engine size etc) but it was gold with brown cloth seats and I loved it!
In '77 when I first started driving (officially!) he let me drive it along the North Circular from Brent Cross to Wood Green. I was in heaven! Wonderful car! Mostly I drove my Mum's Datsun Bluebird which became mine when I passed my test, but the Merc was best! :D

The first MB I drove (and sat in) was my Dad's 1975 (P reg) S class company car (I don't recall the engine size etc) but it was gold with brown cloth seats and I loved it!
In '77 when I first started driving (officially!) he let me drive it along the North Circular from Brent Cross to Wood Green. I was in heaven! Wonderful car! Mostly I drove my Mum's Datsun Bluebird which became mine when I passed my test, but the Merc was best! :D

I grew up in Southgate, and was allowed to drive the 280E to and from dinghy sailing on the Welsh Harp. I know exactly what you mean about that stretch of the A406..

Parents' friends were mostly of the N London Irish construction stock so lots of mercs around then - highlights were a brown 450 SEL 6.9 [the Top Trumps champion] and a bright metallic green 350 SE with green checked upholstery, which was so wrong, but so right!

Back in 1984, Mercedes LP813 7.5t box van (mine was bright yellow, you couldn't miss it):

mercedes-benz-lp-813-06.jpg

6 litre straight 6 diesel, used to do around 12-14 MPG. I spent 2 years in that job and put about 80K miles on the truck in that time. Wouldn't fancy doing that kind of mileage these days..

Cheers,

Gaz

Mine was my E55 back in March 2011.

I found it very difficult keeping a poker face whilst out on a test drive.

The first one I drove was my pre facelift w202. The first I was sat in - can't remember. I spent most of the first 10 years of my life in Germany (Pad Brat), so any number of 80's Cream Mercedes Taxi's!

Nothing as glamerous as buses, lorries, old classics here

Here's the car that set me off in Benz Mania

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/***-albums-my-e-class-picture2054-photo-taken-loch-linne-nr-ft-william.jpg

Mercedes 308D long wheelbase van in the mid 1970s. Impossible to miss - it was painted in metal flake purple with a horizontal silver stripe and a silver roof by a colour blind spray painter.

My dads 280SE in 1983 when I was 12! I was on a campsite, not that it makes anymore legal!

My old mans W124 E280, it was in Grape colour with beige interior and was amazing, I was 18 at the time and had only been driving for about a year, I had a 10 year old renault 5, so this was just off the hook to me.
He lent me it one weekend, think he was going away so I dropped him off at the airport and set off to pick my mates up.
We ended up going out mushroom picking at Blickling Hall in Norfolk, I remember flooring it and looking down and seeing the speed and thinking "opps!". So reigned it in and wafted instead.

Amazing car.

Mine was a 1988 w124 250 disel had it in from blackpool with 12500 on it
i think,it was blue in colour great old car taxied it for 3years .

Brother in Law had a 190 fintail 1961, I think in bright red. Drove it when I first passed my test in 1967 and was hooked on the brand. Took another 25 years before I could buy the one I wanted an 86 Smoke silver W126 S class.
What I remember most was the column change and the speedo turned the faster you went changing colour from yellow, orange and red if my memory is correct.
Don

My grandad's dark green W108 280SE with a brown tex interior on his driveway when I was 10 or 11. My fascination for Mercs started then. And especially green ones! It was an automatic and was great fun for a kid blasting up and down the drive and a bit of off-roading too. Little did I know it was a 3.5 or that it was a V8.

On a visit to Portugal, where I delivered a car driven from the UK, my dad gave me a W123 300D. It was about 17 years old, 350,000km, a bit neglected but with myself & a friend driving we made the trip home to the UK no problem at all, via Amsterdam as we were young hippies them. :D

At customs in Dover the staff wondered why the back of the car sat so low. They opened the boot to find my Honda XL250 trials bike in little pieces, neatly packed, laughed and waved us through.

I repaired everything on that car instead of doing my university homework in the evenings and drove it for a year or so before a scallywag stole it and drove it into a tree.
I was quite upset, but it left such a lasting memory of how great a car it was, I now have a W124 300 Turbo Diesel I plan to drive for as long as it will last, which may be well over a decade. Cars don't get stolen in Japan, so it's in a safer environment with regard to tea leafs. I'm enjoying being back behind the wheel of a truly strong & well built car.

The first Merc i ever drove was a 1994 W124 E200.... i think i was 16 or 17 at the time... i was so excited as it was a neighbours car and only took it round the block mind you, but loved every second of it... even at 150K the block was solid. the body how ever was a wreck :( .... always had a thing for mercs... hence for getting my first merc after i turned 18 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom